Replacement Backplate

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Sage103
1.6 8v

Replacement Backplate

Post by Sage103 »

I’m in the middle of replacing one of the rear back plates on my 110 estate - had to wait a week for a new plate to come from Germany - but now I’m unsure as to how best to detach the remains of the old one from its mounting - there are two ‘fixings’ which look a bit like rivets but I suspect they either screw out or are a press fit. Or they need to be drilled out. Can anyone advise?
545C619D-6D48-4551-AF54-D2FD2A9E8A4C.jpeg
(1.76 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Thanks
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Replacement Backplate

Post by PeterN »

I've done several of these but all with secondhand ones, I didn't know you could get new ones. Anyway, I don't really remember as it was some time ago but they look like locating dowels to me, I think they are probably just to hold the backplate in position while you fit the bolts, try gently levering the plate away from the hub. There are certainly no rivets.

Peter
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Actually Peter they are,
Not pop rivets but solid rivets, you can either grind off the heads or dirll them off

You can either tap them out (thread) & put bolts in, use new soild rivets or leave them off
as the plate is held by the four hub bolts.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Oh, I apologise :oops: but none of mine have had rivets, perhaps yours is a late one.

Peter
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Well my 97 D8 Coupe backplates were exactly the same as the one's the o.p posted

I can't imagine Peugeot changing the design after one year production run ?

Chances are you didn't notice them, why would you unless you needed to seperate them.

If you got second hand replacements the mount is already riveted to the backplate.

The replacement backplates have been available for at least ten years.
All over EBay & Autodoc does them.

There's a very old post on here from Jasper5 about the backplates being riveted.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I see, I misunderstood. I have never tried to separate the two parts of the back plate only removed them and fitted them to another car, I didn't even realise they could be separated.

Peter