and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by Doggy »

Welly wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:01 am That's some fancy solar charger if you can log into it and get a live report :o
It's got a display like this:

When you press the battery symbol, it displays the voltages for the starting battery and the two leisure batteries as well as the nett charge / discharge rate. (Muppet here turned the display off last November which I suspect stopped the solar charger doing its stuff).
steve_earwig wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:05 pm What do you reckon, screws or coach bolts for the wood?
Coach bolts I'd say.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Is that James Bond's drinks cabinet? :mrgreen:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It looks like a whole system remote monitor, smart 8)

*squints at screen* Looks like it's also got buttons for ironing needs doing, somebody's watching, Mekon alert, good ideas, tap left on and, er, horse-racing?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Am I the only person in the world who thinks apples are overrated?

In other news, the motor in my saw bench crapped out. Bosch green PTS10, needs a new armature, cost 100 quid and takes 2 months to get here. It might be worth it but it's 12 years old, the plastic's getting a bit past it and I've not long had to replace the bearings and I'm wondering what's next. So I went out looking at cheapy saw benches in the DIY stores and found one, similar but cheaper, without some of the fancy googaws that I didn't like on this one - no pointless light on the blade guard, which is much lighter, chunkier and easier to adjust angle and depth of cut wotsit, ditto cut and angle guides. Just as powerful too, same size table, same... well, actually it's another Bosch PTS10 but cheaper than the old one as it's been cost cut to the bone. I thought maybe I'd pinch bits off the old one to give it a better feel but I've just put it together and it's fine as it is. 2800Kn, about 330 quid, I'd also been sniffing around a Makita for 5,000, so this saved me a packet too. And oh look, I already have a decent blade for it... :mrgreen:

Welly

Post by Welly »

You nearly confused me there until I realised you've cut down an apple tree for fire wood?

You keep buying all this kit and I'm worried if the Bank of Earwig can sustain it, at this rate you might have to get a J.....hang on I can't say it....a J.....no try again..... a Jo.......... no, sorry I can't say it :lol:

Only kidding mate, I'd like to be in your position, I think, maybe minus all the Animals, all the Gardening, all the maintenance, the projects, the Toyota, oh hang on....
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

The Bank of Earwig is indeed not bottomless, I am burning through my savings but I have to be realistic. E.g. today Lidl are selling cordless screwdrivers for 22 quid, which is a bargain but I won't be buying one as I don't absolutely need one. I absolutely do need a saw bench though, the old one's been used for everything from making picture frames, through kitchen cabinets to construction work and I don't think there'll ever be an end to that sort of thing.

The apple tree had a big load of rot in it about a meter from the ground, I was eyeing it suspiciously but everyone else reckoned it'd be fine. Then last year we had a bumper* harvest of 5 apples, none of which was edible, so t'wife started to see my side of the argument. The plum tree next to it also received the chop, but that had bracket fungus growing out of it. I don't really like apples (mmm, tastes like wood) so I won't be planting another one, however Miloš says he has some fig cuttings for us. He has a large fig in his backyard which last year had so much fruit they didn't know what to do with it.

In other news, while I was off having my monthly massage, t'wife left the trout for today's lunch in the sink while she popped next door. We have 7 cats. Consequently I got a phone call at the chiropractor's, can I go buy another fish? :roll:

Welly

Post by Welly »

I am totally with you on buying kit for renovations and maintenance, imagine how much you'd spend paying for a professional* to do these jobs :shock:

As an example; I haven't wallpapered for 20+ years and we* wanted the Lounge 'feature wall' papering as part of my general house upkeep regime. I spent a few hours watching experienced decorators on YouTube for some invaluable hints and tips....I bought a new paper-hanging kit (£ peanuts)...dug out my 20+ year old wooden paste table (which is FAR better made than the modern shite on offer) and spent a day making an impressively neat job of the papering :cheesy: a decorator (if you can get one) would've charged me £150.00.

My point being that when I papered in the past there was no help and guidance easily available but now there's loads so most things including car repairs are worth a crack at.

I don't suppose you found anything on YT for welding/fabricating a set of stairs with a turn at the bottom :shock:

Sorry had to lol at the fish thing, our cats can't be trusted with ANY food around no matter what it is they'll be sniffing around it in seconds.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Labour's not so expensive here but it still costs. It would certainly cost if I had to rush to a sawmill every time I wanted to make or modify something made out of wood.

First bit of wallpapering I ever did - hallway, stairs, landing. The worst thing imaginable really, I really could've done with some Youtube tutorials on that one :shock:

I was quoted 4,000Kn for a straight set of stairs, I'm probably well below that (subject to the electric bill arriving...). Btw I told Goran I was thinking of buying the same welder as his, he told me not to waste my money as I could borrow his whenever I needed it, far better to spend the money on something neither of us has that we could both use. Still pondering that one.

Speaking of Youtube tutorials, while we were a-tree fellin' the oil feed on the small chainsaw packed up. It was probably a blockage in the pick up but to get to it you need to take the bar and chain off, the clutch (special tool), pull the pump (another special tool) and then pull the pick up out that way. So I had a look on Youboob and there was a guy that fixed his by sticking a shop vac on blow in the oil tank. Tried it and it worked. It makes me wonder how we survived before the internet :shock:

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

....waving goodbye to Dogmobile2 after seeing it winched onto the back of a transit that looked considerably less roadworthy than the 406.

Don't know if everyone's aware, but my daughter found a site called Scrapcomparison.co.uk, which asked a few questions and offered £147.80, which dropped by tenner cos I wanted to keep the battery. Online stuff completed Wednesday evening, car gone this morning.
(This is double what my bro got after driving his to the scrappy).

Oh well, life moves on.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Sad day indeed - the end or an era.... :(
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Should've taken the doors off and kept chickens in it :supafrisk:

trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

steve_earwig wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:18 am The Bank of Earwig is indeed not bottomless, I am burning through my savings but I have to be realistic. E.g. today Lidl are selling cordless screwdrivers for 22 quid, which is a bargain but I won't be buying one as I don't absolutely need one.

Lidl's an absolute b****r for their centre aisles, and the impulse buy.
Yesterday I was in my local one, and spotted a battery ( AA, AAA ) tester.
Only £3.99..., that's handy, useful. I'd almost, in my mind done the jump from..
That's nice..., I'd like that... to.... ir's mine...., when I suddenly remembered
my perfectly good multimeter.

Time to move on to the detergent, and toilet paper that I'd actually gone in for.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

When Lidl first appeared here the tools really were junk, I bought a vacuum cleaner that lasted maybe a year but the design of it meant that stuff circulated inside the dust container until it was pulverised into a fine powder and then blocked the filter, so I assumed everything else they were selling was also junk - "I don't want that exploding in my hand :shock: " Recently though, I've realised everyone else is already using it, Miloš has a couple of Parkside cordless drills that are actually quite good. Of course, when the 3rd battery in my 35-year old Makita cordless gave up the ghost there were none there, so I went to the DIY stores and bought a cheapy Einhell. Comparing it to Miloš' Parkside stuff it's pretty much the same thing, even the batteries fit.

Start the day with an infographic (from the BBC - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47042291 )
They should be proud...

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

:supafrisk:

Welly

Post by Welly »

Doggy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:32 pm ....waving goodbye to Dogmobile2
:cry:

It's a shame the engine and gearbox combo couldn't breath life into a project car somewhere, more aggro though breaking it for spares etc..
Cars in my care: