Alignment after front spring change.

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Kiwi
1.8 8v

Alignment after front spring change.

Post by Kiwi »

Had a new LF spring fitted at last ( I know, I was a doofus just having one fitted....) . All original components refitted. The shop wants to do an alignment, not the usual guys who were excellent, which worries me.

Car is a finger and a half higher on the left, steering wheel is still straight when going straight, but there is a very slight tendency to pull to the right on a straight , no camber, road, which would, I'd think, lessen as the spring settles. Will check tire pressures in the morning.

Is it usual to align toe after this operation, as all components are fitted into tapers ?
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: Alignment after front spring change.

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

It is good practice to do a alignment check after replacing any suspension parts.
You don't have too but uneven tyre wear will ensue,
but you should always replace spring in pairs, so you pays your money & takes your choice :roll: .

Too be fair a old worn bushes, high millage 406 will wear the tyres unevenly anyhow :?
I know mine does :frown:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Kiwi
1.8 8v

Post by Kiwi »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:38 pm It is good practice to do a alignment check after replacing any suspension parts.
You don't have too but uneven tyre wear will ensue,
but you should always replace spring in pairs, so you pays your money & takes your choice :roll: .

Too be fair a old worn bushes, high millage 406 will wear the tyres unevenly anyhow :?
I know mine does :frown:
Many thanks ddd, my reluctance to have the alignment touched ( I set all tire pressures, RF was down .3 bar, found a dead level stretch of road, and it drives as before, steering dead wheel straight and tracks straight with hands off ) is NO confidence in the shop/equipment and I have visions of a major boondoggle if they touch it. Plus there is a language difficulty...........The only difference is in the ride height and even that has already reduced to under a finger difference. I'm leaning to letting it go and doing a few miles and keeping an eye on the tires.

Mine's done 212,000 miles and has been real good on tires after the previous alignment.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I never do an alignment after a spring change and have never experienced any problems.

It doesn't matter at all whether you change a spring by itself or as pairs.

Try convincing a customer that the £120 to replace a spring should really be £240 to change both when only one is broken!
Kiwi
1.8 8v

Post by Kiwi »

jasper5 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 am I never do an alignment after a spring change and have never experienced any problems.

It doesn't matter at all whether you change a spring by itself or as pairs.

Try convincing a customer that the £120 to replace a spring should really be £240 to change both when only one is broken!
Many thanks indeed Jasper, that has given me major peace of mind .
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Changing springs shouldn't have any effect on the alignment unless it changes the ride height. Contrary to popular belief tracking errors will not cause the car to pull to one side - unless its a very long way out, its more likely to be a faulty tyre or suspension damage affecting the camber or caster angle.

Peter
Kiwi
1.8 8v

Post by Kiwi »

PeterN wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:49 am Changing springs shouldn't have any effect on the alignment unless it changes the ride height. Contrary to popular belief tracking errors will not cause the car to pull to one side - unless its a very long way out, its more likely to be a faulty tyre or suspension damage affecting the camber or caster angle.

Peter
Thanks Peter.

With regard to toe setting, unless the steering geometry has bump steer built into it, even changes in ride height should have no effect.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I have been using a very good and friendly Peugeot mechanic for many years - a bit like have a Jasper5 a few mins down the road.
He is an old school mechanic, uses his eyes, ears and experience to sort stuff out - and he will only replace what is worn out, so he did just one drop link, and just one rear shock as the other side was fine.
Obviously brakes are different and both sides are done.

I initially put your ride height difference as just the spring needing to settle, I'm sure it will even out after a few weeks.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Kiwi
1.8 8v

Post by Kiwi »

GingerMagic wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 pm I have been using a very good and friendly Peugeot mechanic for many years - a bit like have a Jasper5 a few mins down the road.
He is an old school mechanic, uses his eyes, ears and experience to sort stuff out - and he will only replace what is worn out, so he did just one drop link, and just one rear shock as the other side was fine.
Obviously brakes are different and both sides are done.

I initially put your ride height difference as just the spring needing to settle, I'm sure it will even out after a few weeks.
In the UK, I'm fortunate to have an excellent contact, as you suggest. It makes life so much easier.

I've no worries, re the ride height, although I'd thought it could have been a far greater difference, because of the age and mileage.