End of the road ?? Or a new start...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: End of the road ?? Or a new start...

Post by highlander »

Ooh, that's a point. You mentioned having used Peugeot Planet 2000 software on your old car. Might be worth using it on this - I know on my car, the throttle position can be read live via ODB2 using a generic reader. It might be worth trying to see what the minimum and maximum throttle position percentage is. If the max is a lot lower than 100%, then that could be indicative of trouble (stretched throttle cable is a possibility, or as GingerMagic mentioned, the tensioning clip having gone bye-bye).
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

The throttle cable is an excellent place to look as the others say; Automatics tend to get the throttle squeezed more than manuals.....
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Ok - got the bonnet up. Clip is present on the throttle cable but further investigation revealed the cable to be a slack as yer grannies drawers! I took the clip off and took up the tension in the cable, just before the point where there was a perceptible change in the idle speed and replaced both parts of the clip. Picture below shows the original position of the clip and where I had to move it to to pick up the slack - a distance of about 20mm or so.

Took it for a drive and - my god - what a difference. Response was finally there. Whether the turbo is doing its stuff, or nay, I wouldn't know because I have never owned a car with one. Certainly, it appears to respond better now but, apart from that, how do you know? I mean, is it an audible thing ? (Visions of sucking noises and flames coming out the exhaust....! Think I watch too many movies! :lol: )

So, to GingerMagic, Highlander and Welly: gentlemen, a huge 'thank you' for the recommendation of looking toward the throttle cable first. Seems to have worked wonders.
My inquisitive nature now has me wondering though, why was the cable slack, especially as it had only just gone through the MOT two days before I bought it (don't imagine this is something that is tested for though, is it?). Do you reckon it is likely a stretched cable or, less likely, that the clip was placed in the wrong position?
Either way, am much happier with the car now and can report that it has now reverted once again to "The Drive of your Life" rather than feeling like " The Drive at the End of Your Life!" it has felt since the day I bought it. No more 0-60mph 'by appointment only' !

Well now, looks like the embarkation of a whole new voyage of discovery has begun. Whilst delighted with the progress, I am planning on handing it to a friend with vastly more experience than I with PP2000, just to get a picture of where I really stand with things. Can only be a good thing I would hope....
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Well done, never had that problem myself but have often heard of it. The only downside is it will probably use more fuel now. :wink:

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I think they can adjust themselves if you plant your foot firmly enough.
FWIW range is 0 to 99%, I normally just check I can get both extremes.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Thanks Doggy. Had the diagnostics check done this morning. Throttle values went from 0 - 98.2 so, close enough I would hope?

Things seemed to be in reasonable shape, or so I was informed. Am not going to elaborate in this post but take it over to the correct board and post it there (electrical systems and diagnostics I presume?) as I could do with a grown up or two casting an eye over the findings.
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Welly wrote:
Performance wise the HDi delivers power very differently to a Petrol, there's a wave of Torque between 1500 and 2800 rpm that you need to optimise for best progress. 'Flooring' the throttle does nothing and excess revs do nothing much either.
Thanks for these words, Welly. Never having owned, nor really driven, a diesel car myself I can say that over this last week I have certainly come to realise that it is a different car to drive, compared to the petrol I have always been used to. Now the throttle problem seems to have been addressed, I have become more familiar with the way it behaves and am much happier overall now.
Yes, it may not be the Coupe but it is fast becoming an enjoyable car to drive.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

A chap I used to know in charge of the workshop for many years at a local Peugeot Dealer once said "the 406 HDi doesn't feel like you would expect a Turbo Diesel to feel but feather the throttle in and have a look down at the speedometer".....

He was right, surprising progress can be made if you don't try too hard.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Perfect description I would say ....
Very different from driving a petrol but enjoyable also - as I am beginning to realise. It's actually nice to have a change. Also, despite my (uninformed) misgivings of having an automatic, I have found it an absolute dream for crawling through London traffic - - a place I try to avoid as much as possible!