Car key

Post your goods for sale, or what you're after. Please note : NO TRADE ADS without prior permission

Moderator: Moderators

Luketheduke44
1.8 8v

Car key

Post by Luketheduke44 »

Hello everyone and greetings from Austria!

I got a RHD Peugeot 406 (2002, estate, diesel, automatic,..) from the UK and wanted to get a few more keys extra. Luckily I got in touch with a real sharp locksmith. Copying the keys was no issue at all but he just couldn't get them programmed and his only explanation for this could be a difference between continental/German or Austrian and British electronic chips used in the key.
I ordered a few transponders and electronic chips online to maybe fix this but if someone has an old 2-button key he's more than welcome to get in touch with me for a purchase!
Maybe someone also has more knowledge about this.

Many many thanks to everyone reading this and I'm looking forward to replies!
Attachments
Screenshot_20200915-111849.png
frog
2.0 Turbo

Re: Car key

Post by frog »

Luketheduke44 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 am Copying the keys was no issue at all
What was no issue? The copying of the key blade (metal)? Was the locksmith also able to register the transponder with your car?

The transponder can be registered as new key using the PP2000 software with the Lexia cable (google for it). Not sure if your transponder chip itself has already an ID; maybe it is still all-blank so that the locksmith must program it with an ID.

See also one of my previous posts: viewtopic.php?p=247343#p247343 :
frog wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:09 am Seems like the remote is programmed in the factory to match the transponder.

See http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/sh ... 3373067B-C which says:
In Citroen and Peugeot the remote is precoded with the transponder. Changing transponder makes the remote stop working. In other words transponder and remote are matched in factory. When you program new transponder it must contain also data for remote. This is needed for BSI module to recognize rf transmissions from the remote.
So it seems like the only way to get it all working is to know what data is in the remote, and from that to deduce what should be programmed into the transponder chip.

If you just program the transponder chip and then learn that key into the BSI using PP2000, the data in the remote will not match, so it will not work.
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
Luketheduke44
1.8 8v

Post by Luketheduke44 »

frog wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:48 pm
Luketheduke44 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 am Copying the keys was no issue at all
What was no issue? The copying of the key blade (metal)? Was the locksmith also able to register the transponder with your car?

Oh my bad for not clearing that up!
The copying of the key blade worked perfectly fine, as well as programming the transponder.
I still had the genuine security code card but somehow it wasn't accepted as valid code.
Basically the only issue is about the remote.

I'm really sorry for maybe not being able to explain everything well since English is not my native language as well as I have absolutely no idea how any of this works 😂

The locksmith had all the proper equipment and tools which are usually needed, but his device always showed "error, invalid code".
He also said that it's quite likely with another chip to just put it in the key, turn the ignition and keep pressing the "open" button for up to 10 seconds to get it programmed.
He said there could be something wrong with his chip either.

I'll go through the post you linked looking for more info and details.

Thank you so so much for your time!
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Peugeot is different.

You are not programming the key, you are programming the car to accept the new key/chip.

A new chip is available from eBay ( ID46 I think ) for a small amount, and some locksmiths can copy the information from your old chip onto the new chip.

If this fails to work, then PP2K will be the only option, either by a friendly user on here or Facebook ( payment usually consists of beer ) or a main dealer ( expensive )
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

Luketheduke44 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:57 pm Oh my bad for not clearing that up!
I'm really sorry for maybe not being able to explain everything well since English is not my native language as well as I have absolutely no idea how any of this works 😂
Don't worry, your english is perfect!

I think that, in the Peugeot keys, the transponder ID must match the ID of the remote control. I think only original Peugeot keys have this. The clone keys you buy on E-bay do not.

Indeed, I think it is as GingerMagic says. If you, or your locksmith, can somehow copy the IDs from an original key into a new one, you are all fine.

The transponder is usually not broken. It is a tiny black box that you can wiggle out and transfer into the new key housing.

If the remote control of your old key is still working, you might just as well transfer the printed circuit board as well. Often the only things broken there are the microswitches. If those are broken, I am sure the locksmith will be able to solder them out and replace them. I did it once for mine, it is not difficult. And of course, don't forget to put in a new battery, just to be sure.
Current "fleet":

Previously owned:

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Here are my findings on this subject when I misplaced my only working remote key,

I purchased a replacement blank key & got it cut to match my spare non remote key no problem,
I purchased a id46 new blank chip off ebay & coded it to the car using pp2k no problem.

So now the key would work to open the car ( in the door lock ) & start the car, BUT & here's the kicker
I just couldn't get the remote buttons to unlock/lock the car no matter what or how I tried.

My Peugeot dealers tell me that if you purchase a new blank key that the remote information is (virgin)
So it'll pair to the car (i.i.r.c you can have up to eight keys paired in pp2k) BUT as the second hand key has
information already stored from it's original car you can't re-progame it.
(but I would love to be proved wrong, with a detailed explanation :cheesy: )

Luckily I found my misplaced remote key, so now I have three key's to my car (two key's only & one working remote)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Luketheduke44
1.8 8v

Post by Luketheduke44 »

You all are legends! Many thanks for the responses/info/details/ideas!

@dirtydirtydiesel
That's exactly the same problem! Genuinely speaking a used key or the chips online are not that expensive so it's worth a try in my opinion. The locksmith is also interested in finding a solution and his prices are reasonable.

@frog @GingerMagic
He has not mentioned any possibility to copy the id of the old key to the blank one but I'll ask him about it next time!

Once the chips arrive ill get back in touch with the locksmith to try it all again. Worst case I get "only" another key without the remote function since the transponders obviously work perfectly fine and are easy to program.

Thanks lads!
Luketheduke44
1.8 8v

Post by Luketheduke44 »

Hey everyone and quick update!

Turned out that the genuine Chip i got from Germany is made by valeo and the printed circuit board is different. I got 2 genuine ones from the UK and everything worked perfectly fine. I couldnt find any brands name or logo on the british one, could be valeo too!
Interestingly enough none of the cheap circuit boards worked for me, altough you see many comments online that they did. :frown:

I would have never thought that this would be the case, but probably this has hardly ever (more likely absolutely never) been an issue to anyone :D
IMAG2669-min.jpg
(961.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMAG2668-min.jpg
(1.07 MiB) Not downloaded yet
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

Cool, congrats!

Did you get the remote control function back to working? Which PCB(s) did you get for that to work? I read everywhere that a PCB must match the transponder chip.
Current "fleet":

Previously owned:

Luketheduke44
1.8 8v

Post by Luketheduke44 »

I simply ordered this key:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/GENUINE-PEUGEOT ... 4481325493

Apparently the seller uses old genuine key fobs (since they look used) and the pcb, but then replaced the transponders and added a new blade ( which I was able to find in a Turkish online shop separately ).

With the pcb changed the locksmith had no more trouble installing the key.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Gald you got a good result & got it sorted :)

Oh & Happy New Year to you all :cheesy:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
tom84
1.6 8v

Post by tom84 »

Would all of this be the same with the older style Gen 1 Peugeot 406 keys? I have 1 key, I'm not sure if I have an alarm, but I do have remote locking that works, currently.

I need a new key, easiest thing to do would buy a new blade and get over losing the remote locking function if I lose the original key, right?
Luketheduke44
1.8 8v

Post by Luketheduke44 »

Hey,

Unfortunately I have absolute no experience with the first generation, but id assume it's going to be similar for you.

If it is exactly the same you could either try to get a new blade and transponder, but then as you said, you would lose the remote control.

Or try to get printed circuit board as well, but you have to be careful, there were 7 different oem numbers for my facelift model available.

I'd recommend you get in touch with a Peugeot dealership/garage or a locksmith to find out what's the right oem number for your VIN. In Austria Peugeot would charge 165€ for the circuit board, but I found it online for 20€.

Casings and blades should be easy to find on eBay I think.
tom84
1.6 8v

Post by tom84 »

Thanks! I don't understand about the transponder, why would I get a new one if it didn't do remote control? Does the non-blade parts of the key have more functions than simply remote locking?
Luketheduke44
1.8 8v

Post by Luketheduke44 »

Without a transponder you are unable to start the car. You can open doors, turn the ignition, but then get a warning signal saying that the key is not the right one.
The transponders are little black pieces which you just put into the casing. I think u could get one for like 1£ :cheesy: but need to program it to your car by either a dealer or locksmith. If I remember correctly they can't be programmed twice.