*GONE - but never to be forgotten* 2.2 HDi GTX Estate worth rescuing...

Post your goods for sale, or what you're after. Please note : NO TRADE ADS without prior permission

Moderator: Moderators

Wolds406

*GONE - but never to be forgotten* 2.2 HDi GTX Estate worth rescuing...

Post by Wolds406 »

SOLD
MoT expired 14 August 2020. Must be collected from Alford, Lincolnshire.

My faithful companion for over 8 years needs an offside sill rebuild that I just cannot manage and I'm gutted. She's complete, clean and has been thoroughly looked after. I could go on and on and on... Photos attached. Comprehensive maintenance record. Most recent works: ABS reluctor rings (Aug 2020); heavy duty rear springs (Jan 2020), rear brake rebuild (Aug 2019: all handbrake cables, splash plates, handrake shoes, discs and pads), recent battery (Jan 2019)...
SORN since 2 August 2020 when I 'investigated' the sills whilst getting her ready for MoT. The offside sill (outer and inners) needs reconstructing likely along the full length. The bottom of the B-pillar is good. The nearside sill is fine.
Practically unmarked Mistral alloys with matching Goodyear tyres all with good tread. Spare, a Michelin on a steel wheel, is as new. 2 locking wheel nut keys.
Tow bar.
153,800 miles.
Over 50 mpg round the doors.
Known issues: central locking once locked me out so fuse has been removed (both original keys available and work in all locks); air conditioning hasn't been recharged for a long while, fuel additive system failed so I have always put in 60ml of additive for each full tank of Shell V-Power, a few cosmetic rust bubbles on the front wings near the headlights, front drivers side brake caliper need lubricating, one front wiper rubber and rear wiper rubber, minor effects of age.
I also have a pair of new KYB RG1552 front coil springs and strut top bearings that I was going to fit before I explored the sill. This was going to be a precaution as I'd replaced all 4 springs when I got the car in 2012 and a rear spring broke in Jan 2020. I also have a new single front coil spring (also KYB but made in a different factory so slightly different). I'd consider offers on the pair or the single separately.
Ok, so I did go on a bit.
Drop me a line. Ask me a question. Make me an offer...
Attachments
1.jpg
(101.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2.jpg
(97.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
3.jpg
(102.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
4.jpg
(105.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
5.jpg
(100.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
6.jpg
(96.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
7.jpg
(100.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
8.jpg
(105.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
9.jpg
(103.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
10.jpg
(100.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
11.jpg
(100.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
12.jpg
(106.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Wolds406 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: 2.2 HDi GTX Estate worth rescuing...

Post by Welly »

Wow that sounds like a good car to rescue! you've looked after it well it seems.

Did you know that the Peugeot fuel 'additive' isn't the sort of stuff you buy and add yourself (like injector cleaner/fuel booster etc) rather it is an 'eolys' fluid automatically dosed into the fuel tank and allows the collected soot in the DPF to burn off at a lower temperature than it should be (thus the DPF 'cleans' itself). In any case the DPF and emissions gubbins can be dealt with by enthusiastic forum-goers with the right know-how.

Biggest issue I think is that someone needs to be a bit handy with the 'Sparkly Stick' on that sill section - I bet the water drain holes blocked up and rotted from the inside.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Wolds406

Re: 2.2 HDi GTX Estate worth rescuing...

Post by Wolds406 »

Thanks Welly. I think, for someone with the skills, space and time, she could be brought back to provide many more years good service.

I looked at the additive system using my Lexia several years back and found a couple of intermittent faults had been logged. As part of a full service in 2015 I topped up the additive tank with a recommended equivalent, JLM Pat Fluid, tested everything, reset the counter and then cleared the codes. I then checked for codes every few months. All was good for a long while but eventually the intermittent faults started reappearing although nothing ever showed on the MFD in the car and driving and economy never faltered. After that I tested the additive pump and injector using the Lexia at each service and found sometimes they made the right noises and sometimes they didn't. Eventually a test came back saying 'actuation not possible' so I took the additive from the tank and started dosing it manually. I struggled to find anything precise on the measure required but I think I've been generous with 60ml per full tank and have never had a problem getting through the MoT emissions tests so the system must be in good shape. I'm sure always using top notch fuel has helped too.

I've watched a YouTube video of a guy making a really good job of reconstructing a sill on a V6 saloon. In fact I've watched it several times... It's certainly possible if you've got everything it takes and, I think, worth it.

In hindsight I should have paid more attention to that sill as it had a couple of little crush injuries on the seam where a previous owner or their mechanic had jacked it away from the proper points. Although minor I suspect they'd closed some of the drain holes and that's when the rot set in. Hindsight is a wonderful thing! The nearside sill is so much healthier.

Thanks for your words. I hope there's someone for her and that this isn't the end of her road...