Toyota's not as perfect as we all thought??

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Toyota's not as perfect as we all thought??

Post by Welly »

There's been loads on the news recently about Toyota's faults and recalls about accelerators, brakes etc. I don't suppose they'd have made such a fuss about it if we hadn't all been led to believe that the Toyota is the pinnacle of reliability in recent years? I can't imaging the same reaction to a Ford or Vauxhall perhaps?

Our company has a RAV4 petrol with a Slushmatic box and I have to say the Gearbox is now faulty - it loses it's speed data from the ECU and tries to slam it in Park :shock: makes all sorts of jerks/noises. Apparently there was a batch of faulty ECU's on the Auto's but the fix aint cheap requiring new ECU(s), new Keys, the lot, and about £2,000.00 :roll:

I must say the RAV's been faultless other wise and always starts/stops perfectly (but don't all cars nowadays?).

Any of you have any experience of Toyotas?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
STALLED
The moderator down under

Re: Toyota's not as perfect as we all thought??

Post by STALLED »

We have a Prius at work and as much as everyone bags it out - I friggin love it. Best city car ever, but people don't get the point of it, because they drive it like a normal small car as opposed to a super environmentally friendly happy whale loving amazon rainforest growing hippie machine. I think the fuel figures speak for themselves...

Never had a problem with the brakes on it :cheesy:

Yes, thats 85.60mpg - Driven motorway for 23km.

1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

Welly

Post by Welly »

Funny isn't it - you've got a super high tech information display there but a crappy nasty little digital clock underneath :roll: :lol: mind you the Japanese don't really do interiors do they?

Do you feel smug driving it? :P
Cars in my care:
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

After the nightmares with my '05 Accord, I have lost all faith in Japanese cars. And now this with Toyotas... :roll:
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

that there report wrote:The carmaker said the inflators were at risk of rupturing, "resulting in metal fragments passing through the airbag cushion material and possibly causing injury or fatality to vehicle occupants".

The fault has already been linked to 11 injuries and one fatality.
Charming, a device designed to save you kills you instead. That'll cost a pretty penny replacing all them airbags :shock: (if that's what they have to do).

More proof, if it were needed, that cars are more complex than we are able to keep up with :|
Cars in my care:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

STALLED wrote:Yes, thats 85.60mpg - Driven motorway for 23km.
UK or US gallons? :wink:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Don't know if anyone else has discovered, but yer average Prius accelerates bl00dy quickly too.

One tried to pass me on the (single lane) slip road onto the A14 one morning in my old 3.0 Omega. Cheek! I thought, soon sort this out.....

It was glued to my back bumper until about 120 :oops:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly

Post by Welly »

dogslife wrote:Don't know if anyone else has discovered, but yer average Prius accelerates bl00dy quickly too.

One tried to pass me on the (single lane) slip road onto the A14 one morning in my old 3.0 Omega. Cheek! I thought, soon sort this out.....

It was glued to my back bumper until about 120 :oops:
That's weird, it's a wheezy 1.5 petrol when 'giving it the beans' :oops:
Cars in my care:
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Why is there nothing in the news about the 308s recalled for headlamps that suddenly switch themselves off at night? Surely the consequences of that could be equally fatal?

And why not more coverage about VW ABS pumps failing from the middle part of the decade? Sure, it's potentially not as immediate an issue safety wise but VW aren't replacing them unless you can prove the brake fluid has been changed every 2 years, even under the original warranty, so the financial implications for thousands of owners are severe.

The press just have the Toyota bit between the teeth, and logic and the reliability failings of other car makers are forgotten in the single minded pursuit of a good story.
STALLED wrote:We have a Prius at work and as much as everyone bags it out - I friggin love it. Best city car ever, but people don't get the point of it, because they drive it like a normal small car as opposed to a super environmentally friendly happy whale loving amazon rainforest growing hippie machine. I think the fuel figures speak for themselves...
Indeed, but then the Prius costs best part of double that of some of its more conventional rivals. It also has vastly higher emissions, cradle to grave,over any conventional car in production, before it even leaves the showroom. Then there's question mark of the batteries integrity as they age, which has never been satisfactorily addressed by Toyota, and this is worrying as they use fairly low-tech NiMH batteries - so as well as the life of the petrol unit, we need to consider the double whammy of worrying about a brattery pack, which currently costs nearly £3k for the part alone. Wouldn't be so bad but most owners struggle to top 55mpg, whereas my 308 struggles to dip below 50mpg no matter how I drive it. It'll be a long time yet before a hybrid sets any genuine consumption records, though the PSA diesel hybrid due for autumn this year may do it, but then the extra 6 or 8 grand over a similar car probably still won't make a saving over the life of the car.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Well said Turby, it's crazy spending extra dosh on something with a tiny bit less emissions and a tiny bit more mpg - you'd have to do hundreds of thousands of miles before you get an extra £6,000.00 purchase price back (at 5mpg improvement).

I suppose buyers think they're doing 'their bit' for the environment, only they're not really. Someone* said recently that you could run an old V8 landrover for tens of thousands of miles before you even got near the environmental impact of producing a new car :roll:

*official source, 'someone' being either something Welly read on the interweb of ballhooks or someone Welly heard on Radio/TV.
Cars in my care:
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Even better, you can take an old V8 Landrover and give it an LPG conversion. Cleaner, cheaper fuel, and V8 power.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

turbolag wrote:The press just have the Toyota bit between the teeth, and logic and the reliability failings of other car makers are forgotten in the single minded pursuit of a good story.
No mention of Merc's recent brake problems or self-opening bonnets either...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mav
2.0 16v

Post by mav »

highlander wrote:Even better, you can take an old V8 Landrover and give it an LPG conversion. Cleaner, cheaper fuel, and V8 power.
anyone else now considering an engine transplant?
or is it just me?
The answers no!

Now whats the question?
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

turbolag wrote:
Indeed, but then the Prius costs best part of double that of some of its more conventional rivals. It also has vastly higher emissions, cradle to grave,over any conventional car in production, before it even leaves the showroom. Then there's question mark of the batteries integrity as they age, which has never been satisfactorily addressed by Toyota, and this is worrying as they use fairly low-tech NiMH batteries - so as well as the life of the petrol unit, we need to consider the double whammy of worrying about a brattery pack, which currently costs nearly £3k for the part alone. Wouldn't be so bad but most owners struggle to top 55mpg, whereas my 308 struggles to dip below 50mpg no matter how I drive it. It'll be a long time yet before a hybrid sets any genuine consumption records, though the PSA diesel hybrid due for autumn this year may do it, but then the extra 6 or 8 grand over a similar car probably still won't make a saving over the life of the car.
Agreed - although I didn't buy it. Here they aren't that expensive, costing as much as Golf (34k AUD)...

As for the MPG figures, they really shine in the inner city environment as they are mostly running off the battery. I think the overall average for the car before I reset the trip computer was 4.7L/100km or 60.12mpg in your book - and thats as fleet car - everyone knows as to how they are driven!
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!