getting quotes

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

tricky76
1.6 8v

getting quotes

Post by tricky76 »

My battery on my puggy is almost dead so i rang around for a few quotes two local factors and Halfrauds all three ask for my registration so i gave them it and all are saying that i got a peugeot 406 Police salon car well for starters is got alot more body on the back of it and i cant imagine it being one i wonder as anyone else has had the same problem :wink:
2.0 glx 16v
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Re: getting quotes

Post by turbolag »

What's a Police Salon - is that the new hairdressers opening in our nick?

To my knowledge (though I've never checked, but will when I return to work), while the 406 may possibly have had Home Orifice certification for general duties use, I don't think they ever made one with dibble specific trim in the way Vauxhall and Honda do.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Salon? Maybe it's like a hair salon but it's to fit the tits to their heads.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
tricky76
1.6 8v

Post by tricky76 »

o dear that's what's happens when you leave spell checker on im going to see if i got any more switches on it now and maybe find a spare socket for my hair straightners i wonder if it has the siren on it still it will make my drive to work more interesting :supafrisk:
2.0 glx 16v
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I had an ex-police Senator, it had masses of wire left in it but nothing useful. Also grommets in the roof and marks in the head lining where they forgot to take their caps off... 3.0 24 valve, manual 5 speed, heated manual cloth seats, manual windows, no air con, steel wheels...

Unless it has intergalactic mileage I wouldn't worry about it. Probably far better maintained than many another company car too.

turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

steve_earwig wrote:Probably far better maintained than many another company car too.
I don't know where that myth originated but trust me, it's got no basis in truth!
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

It came from my old land lord who worker in the police garages in Woodford but I'll take your word for it :cheesy:

BruceT
2.0 Turbo

Post by BruceT »

Ex-Plod Pursuit cars do take a beating. But ever day is not like an episode of Police Interceptors ;)

I know in the Volvo realm of things the Police Spec includes betetr insulation for the electrical quipment they carry, The Diesel suspension componants at the front end due to extra abuse (Speed bumps at speed), Larger discs etc. Depsite what people say, NO Police volvo are chipped, ever. they are standard T5 engines.

The police usually get rid of the Volvo when the entire suspension needs replacing. And most boost hoses need changing as they start to perish.

Then the usual Holes in the console/roof. No Stereo. Basic interior etc.

They do make a good used buy if you can change the suspension your self and fit leather etc but still will be basic spec all told.
His: 1990 Volkswagen Golf II 1.8 GTi 8v.
Hers: 2000 "W" 406 Estate GLX HDi 90 (Bosch) @ 150k
http://www.gsdoc.co.uk German Shepherd Dog Owners Club
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

They change them at 8 years, or 110k miles, whichever comes first (or when they get written off), as per home office guidelines.

Current police volvo spec is mainly a different fusebox to allow an easier safe power take off, and beefed up rear suspension to allow for being fully loaded all the time, and a more basic and hardwearing interior trim. That's it really, though the S60 has different brakes because the fronts were prone to catching fire when hot.

Vauxhall and Honda are mechanically normal, but can be had with basic hardwearing cloth trim, no rear electric windows, and assortment of bespoke kit such as polycarbonate shields to protect the driver, and even a one price sluice-clean fibreglass rear seat, although I've never seen that on anything except the demonstrators.

Suspension fails alarmingly quickly on most non Volvos, as the weight means the dampers get a hard life and soon give up, allowing the spring to oscillate more than it should which causes premature spring failure. When they do eventually get to the workshops they're usually worked over OK, but servicing is often late or missed altogether if the car isn't available on the day it's due, and they get ragged from stone cold to the redline several times a day. The whole structure of the car takes a hammering and the very monocoque itself can creak and groan on a high miler. I wouldn't touch one if it were free, never mind cheap - the odds of getting a lemon are 5 times that of getting a decent one.

Holes in the roof and trim are getting rarer now with the new LED light bars, special double-DIN adaptor plates to houses switches and radios which allow the original to go back in seamlessly when the car is sold, making an ex plod harder to spot for the uninitiated.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

turbolag wrote:To my knowledge (though I've never checked, but will when I return to work), while the 406 may possibly have had Home Orifice certification for general duties use, I don't think they ever made one with dibble specific trim in the way Vauxhall and Honda do.
I really would be surprised if that were the case - 406s had (have!) a heck of a lot of use by coppers in Europe, at least France and Belgium and servicebox does have a number of police-spec components listed. I'm sure the UK dealers would have had no problem getting a few RHD ones made up for bulk buys
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I saw quite a few 406 in Police trim in Majorca this past summer.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

They just have really tatty old Glofs and newer Octapirs here :roll:

tricky76
1.6 8v

Post by tricky76 »

it just got me thinking that it could of been a plod car but it was the SALOON part got me thinking hoping not been a ringer or a clone car
2.0 glx 16v
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

pm me the chassis number and I'll look it up :cheesy:

STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

When I watch The Bill/Car Wars/Police Interceptors - I have to laugh at your cop cars!

Out highway patrol cars here are usually SS Commodores - 6L V8's with 260kw! Furthermore, there are a few Ford Falcon F6's with 315kw doing the rounds - all stock!

Would I buy one at Auctions - Heck yes! I don't care if its been flogged - 315kw = Sh*t yeah! :cheesy:
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!