DIY Belt Change

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

cwhaley
1.8 8v

DIY Belt Change

Post by cwhaley »

Hi all, the other day I was randomly talking with my Dad about lack of working space around car engines these days, and in doing so opened up my bonnet. I’m glad I did, as there was a piece of thin sheet steel caught behind one of the pulleys, folded over the belt. It was fairly thin but had lots of cuts on it and the belt has small chips around the edge. So glad I did open the bonnet!

The belt and pump were last changed at 118k, which was 10 years ago and not under my ownership. It’s now on 172k so with the damage probably due (plus, there are lots of fine cracks across the belt’s width.

Cheapest garage price I’ve found was just over £600 for new belts and a pump, so I’ve noted the excellent guide at this link (viewtopic.php?t=17695) and will use this. Since that was written has anybody got any further advice/pointers on doing a belt replacement on these? I don’t fancy a breaker bar resting on the subframe for undoing the crank pulley!

Good with spanners as I have to maintain a far older car, but never done a timing belt before.
frog
2.0 Turbo

Re: DIY Belt Change

Post by frog »

cwhaley wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:54 am I don’t fancy a breaker bar resting on the subframe for undoing the crank pulley!
Mine came off pretty easy with a air driven impact wrench. If you cannot borrow one, you might want to buy a battery-driven one, e.g. like this: https://blackfieldfarm.com/lidls-impact-wrench/ . I'm not sure if a battery-driven one produces enough power, but given how easy the nut came off in my case, it may well do.
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

My technique was to use a breaker bar with two 1/2 extension bars so you're outside the wheelarch. Needs an assistant to press the brake pedal with top gear selected. In extreme cases something to support the business end of the breaker bar lets you apply significantly more force.

Removed one in a scrapyard by locking both front discs courtesy of a couple of screwdrivers in the ventillated disc passages
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

I've used both methods and can confirm both works.. the subframe as resting position worked just fine to crack the bolt when everything else failed.. (this was long time ago before I had a impact gun).. but nowadays when I did this job last year, the impact just loosened it up no problem.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Yep, I always do mine like that, or you can use a long 1/2" flexy bar and rest it on the ground, certainly the easiest way to get it undone. I must have changed about a dozen belts like that. I'm doing one on a C5 at the moment and believe me the 406 is a doddle compared with that. When I undid the bolt on that the engine started, turned it off - no harm done.

Peter