Brake servicing - copper slip rant

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Brake servicing - copper slip rant

Post by Welly »

The Citroen had new rear discs and pads fitted at a garage 2 years ago (15,000 miles) recently I detected brake binding when the car was at a rest. I stripped them down yesturday and the pads at the rear were all jammed up in the calipers, no sign of any lubrication (or if there had been a bit of copper slip there it had vanished) and the pads had to be forcibly removed with tools.

I went round all 4 corners; removed caliper...cleaned and greased the slide pins with Proslip 'Pin' Grease, removed and cleaned the pads, cleaned the calipers where the pads sit in the clips and applied Proslip 'Clip' grease at the points where the pads contact the caliper, and finally applied Proslip 'Pad' high temp high pressure brake pad grease to the mating points on the backs of the pads.

What a difference! brake pedal is super smooth, less effort braking and no brake binding. I found the Proslip products when I had a problem with the Twingo where the copper slip I used had dried out and vanished, I can't recommend this stuff enough.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Brake servicing - copper slip rant

Post by steve_earwig »

Now you come to mention it, copper slip was never much cop but I just assumed it was a good as you're going to get, seeing where it's used. And thinking about it, in all the mechanic/diagnostic stuff I watch on the toob of ewe I don't even see it, it's all brake specific stuff (that I don't have a gnat's chance of buying here :roll: )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.