old topic, 406 replacement ?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

johntl
2.2 16v

old topic, 406 replacement ?

Post by johntl »

Hi guys
have been searching the the car reviews and I was looking at the Honda 1.7ctdi civic which has the Isuzu engine in it, seems to have good reviews has anybody had any experience with these cars, I understand you can map them to about 140 bhp without any probs :cheesy:
johntl
2.2 16v

Re: old topic, 406 replacement ?

Post by johntl »

still looking
Any opinions on a Toyota avensis 2.2 D4D 180
well made , reliable ,
apart from head gasket problems of early models
tuneable to over 200 bhp
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

The only car I have found that can give as good or a better ride that the 406 is the Mk3 C5. I recently bought one with steel suspension and the ride quality is superb, I'm sure the hydropnumatic one would be even better, but I have gone for simplicity (relative).

Peter
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

johntl wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 am Any opinions on a Toyota avensis 2.2 D4D 180
well made , reliable ,
hmmm.... not all agree; see https://www.autoweek.nl/reviews/artikel ... na-2007-4/

Translated quote (with the help of Google):
The D-CAT Diesel engine:
1 of the most important, if not THE reason for purchase. On paper THE most powerful Diesel at that time in the Golf-Astra segment. Emotionally, the engine has frankly not the promised 177hp. Okay, the D-CAT is above average powerful, and you are faster than many others on intermediate sprints - especially on the German Autobahn. Similar, less powerful engines as the 150hp CDTi / JTDm in the (old) Astra, and the Honda 2.2 CiTD of the Honda Civic are certainly not inferior to the D-CAT. The power band of the D-CAT is narrow, there is a big turbo hole. Between 1800 and 3000 rpm it is a torturer, before and afterwards there is no (extra) push anymore. A number of regular software updates have been made to the ECU over time. The engine has become slightly smoother but unfortunately not more powerful. I have a feeling that the D-CAT is kept "tame" in software. I have the idea that emission limiting measures have been taken under a certain speed or engine / exhaust gas temperature. The many broken engines (see later ...) will also be to blame for this.

The usage:
An embarrassing 1 liter at 13.36 KM on average over all refueling, with regular Shell Diesel. The D-CAT may be clean; the consumption is just absurd. Long live the fuel card ... The (practical) action radius is around 650km.
and:
Toyota uses a maintenance interval of 15,000 km. That is quite short compared to the competition. In practice you are therefore 3 times a year at the garage for maintenance with a normal business mileage of 40,000 per year.
Might be the "early model" though, as you already pointed out.
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
johntl
2.2 16v

Post by johntl »

Thanks for the input guys,
I like the wide power band of the 406 and the a narrow power band sound not good
the C5 mk3 sounds good , I wish they would make them handle the corner better , but you cannot get a car that ticks all your boxes
I have run a 406's for 15yrs now and if I change would love a car with the 406 power delivery/economy and be a lot better sure footed ! :frown:
will keep the 406 running till the bank balance rises ! :frown:
seem to be doing a lot frowning today ?? :) :)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

If that's the same 180 d-cat as the RAV, I read on the owner's klub that Toyota were replacing loads of them under warranty due to excessive oil consumption. Something to do with cylinder lining? Not sure how successful they were as one guy on there had given up when his car needed it's 3rd engine, the last I read was it was parked up in his yard while he wondered what to do with it. Avoid.

I have a kind of Stockholm syndrome relationship with the RAV, due to my back any replacement's got to have an upright seating position and due to the wife it's got to be short and high, which drastically narrows the field. All the other softroaders I've sat in feel like cars, as do all the smaller vans (I drove vans for 20-odd years so I like them). Tbh I've not sat in anything German but they all seem to be ridiculously expensive, probably thrashed and badly maintained. I recently looked into buying a newer RAV but even their prices are insane, 4 year old Hybrid for 33k€? Ffs, what do they start at new? Almost 50k? You'd have to be mad.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
johntl
2.2 16v

Post by johntl »

anybody had one of these ?
the pug 508, looks , full of kit , complicated ! french electrics !! :frown:
johntl
2.2 16v

Post by johntl »

Anybody got any thoughts on the mondeo ?/focus 2.0/2.2 tdci
as I understand use psi bottom end + ford head :?
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

At least the bottom end will last more than 100,000 miles...

Opinions seem to be divided, they're either the best car ever owned or a mass of faults binned when something expensive went wrong or the floor fell out.

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

johntl wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:44 pm anybody had one of these ?
the pug 508, looks , full of kit , complicated ! french electrics !! :frown:
I would much rather have a 508 over any Ford!

The 508 will be a proper Peugeot and not full of borrowed/cheapened Ford bits.

It's a shame French cars still seem to have this "electrics" stigma, my experience with anything newer than year 2000 has been the opposite. You're FAR more likely to have electrical issues with a VAG product than French but no-one will admit it openly because German cars are the best* and never* have faults.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

Old topic but actual for me. What about 308SW or 5008 ? 308SW (estate, 1.6HDI) looks good as size but don't know is it "successful" model like 406 or not. It is smaller than 406 but the weight is the same, don't know why. Most of them have panoramic roof which is not good for old car. I hope I can find some with normal roof.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I know nothing :mrgreen: Let's see what Honest (I love BMW's and Fords) John has to say.

Bugger all to speak of on the 308sw. Some faults on the 5008, problems with the clutch slave cylinder on the 1.6HDi but it's the same problem they have on Fords so he kind of glazes over it - slave leaks, contaminates clutch, all must be replaced (not sure about the DMF, done probably as a precaution). Electric handbrakes can leave you stranded (they all do that sir). Other than that just individual faults it looks like.

Meh, they're just transportation, I don't suppose anyone will shed a tear when the last one goes into the crusher.

2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

Audi A4 (B7, 2006-2007) 1.9/116hp? Estate version is smaller than 406 but not a big problem. Not sure for the engine. It seems is not common rail.
johntl
2.2 16v

Post by johntl »

still looking for replacement;
what are the thoughts on the 2.0 tdi octavia ? 140/150 bhp
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I have heard that the Octavia and the Superb are both nice cars, a friend of mine has an Octavia, petrol unfortunately, but I would like to get a ride in it just to see what its like.

My primary requirements are comfort quietness and economy and I don't think there is anything that gives the ride comfort of the C5 apart from big Jags and other expensive luxury cars. I don't need a car that will corner at 60 mph, I don't drive much over that anyway but I do get 60+ mpg on the motorway and arrive feeling relatively relaxed. Mine is a 2.0. diesel.

Peter