The wonky £1K citron Citroën

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: The wonky £1K citron Citroën

Post by Doggy »

I'm guessing it's set up to idle faster and/or respond quicker to mask how the additional load of the a/c compressor saps the engine power.
Clearly somebody could program the engine and gearbox ecu's to actually work ffs

44k - Not done too badly really, your next dilemma will be what to replace it with.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Doggy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:39 pm your next dilemma will be what to replace it with.
Funny you say that, I think it will be getting replaced early next year.

It hasn't actually put me off Citroen or Peugeot for that matter, in fact have you noticed Peugeot are aiming for 'Premium Brand' status with their new models (not that I can afford one) but the age old reputation that all french cars are rubbish no longer holds water; evidenced it seems by reliability surveys which suggest they are no worse than German premium* brands for stuff going wrong etc.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Welly

Post by Welly »

Bejesus, I've become aware of a Peugeot 3008 2.0HDi E-Hybrid4 :shock: models came out around 2011.

First I've heard of them! they have a 27KW Bosch motor on the rear axle and the front is driven via the infamous 'automated manual'.

Being a long-time sufferer of quirky cars I wouldn't mind checking out this beast in more detail....
Cars in my care:
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Is that the one that's a Mitsubishi? One of the x00x ones is.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Nah, Bitsashitty never made anything that ugly. Impressive figures for some of the e-HDi-e things. I wonder who makes the batteries. It's still a diesel tho, I wonder how that works with inner city charges/diesel bans - it's a hybrid! But it's a diesel. And it's a hybrid! But it's a diesel. Head explodes
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Been and had another go at this wheel bolt that I sheared off.

The good news is that the other bolts aren't sticking tight now they've got a dab of copper slip on them.

Got a cobalt drill bit which is supposed to be good for hardened steel, but it's no use. So it looks like I'm going to have to pay a grown-up to do it for me; which -- to my eternal frustration -- is generally the way things go.

Driveshafts booked in for Tuesday, so my handiwork cannot be concealed any longer.

FAP app doesn't seem to be able to pick up the oil temperature, but in Diagbox the config for the BSI says the sensor is present. Although, IIRC, when adding a 5-clock dash to a 406 that had a 4-clock dash there are at least three places that the oil temperature has to be turned on.

Driver's door mirror not folding and not heating, and Diagbox seems to be able to detect that this is the case since both actuator tests report failure. Measured 0.6V on the mirror heater terminals with the heater off and 1.6V with it on.
So: no DPF regen LED for me, which is a nuissance.
The last regen it did was when I had just arrived at the office.
As I got into the car park I though "it's a bit misty here today", then "ooh, it's a bit smelly too", then "f*ck, it's me".
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ETR4IFxeM[/youtube]
The spilled LDS was burning off the exhaust.
Attachments
IMG_20190512_102810.jpg
(100.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Welly

Post by Welly »

Hope the repairs go ok tomorrow, you seem to be making progress that's the main thing.

Can someone talk me out of being so interested in a 3008 Hydrid-4 ? all of the YouTube vids say how bloody ace they are - why haven't we really heard about these cars? the electric motor was developed by Bosch for PSA and there's an Alternator-Starter on the 2.0HDi (which sounds like a weakness maybe?).

The HDi on its own is rated at 163bhp and the electric motor takes the car to 200bhp 8) apparently it will run on electric only to over 40mph (but not for long, then the 'engine' starts to charge it back up).
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I'm still not sure if a diesel hybrid was a good idea, although the figures do look good. See what you can find, I had a quick look on Honest "I hate French cars" John but there wasn't much about the electric side of stuff.

Go drive one, WCPGW?

Thinking about the broken wheel bolt, I wonder if it would be a good idea to change the lot as they've probably all been overtorqued. Just for peace of mind like.

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

I got a lift to Coventry in petrol hybrid merc C class a month or two back.
It was eerily silent, (I was convinced it was rolling cos the handbrake wasn't on at first). Amazing acceleration.
Know it's nothing like the 308, but it seemed like a game changer, (if you can afford it), to me.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I've been trying to find out what goes wrong with Hybrid HDi's but can't find much, the battery is a NIMH ? or something?

The 3008 Hybrid seemed to really rattle the cages over on the Prius Forum though, they were saying the Peugeot will run for much longer on battery-only, and faster, whereas a Prius will almost immediately fire up the Pez engine as soon as you set off but the Pug will just bezz off in battery mode for ages. 'They' reckon that's bad for battery life and the Prius is more conservative in the way it operates.

I dunno it's just really got me interested and NO CAR has done that for years. I'm not scared by the funky gearbox because I already own one and the 3008's is better with smooth changes (assisted also by the leccy motor 'during gear changes'), the HDi engine doesn't scare me, the Bosch leccy motor doesn't either.

There's nice models out there with 60K miles, 2013-ish for £6k. Zero Road Tax, a 'possible' 70mpg, very smart interior, high driving position, 4 wheel drive....sounds just the job.
Cars in my care:
Welly

Post by Welly »

Funny you say about how quiet the Merc was, they still have an ICE but surely they really beef up the sound proofing to give you that quiet/electric vibe even though the little engines working hard?

Sorry one thing has just scared me, an alternator that starts a HDi :shock:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I suspect it's not just an alternator. Hey, don't these hybrid things have motors that not only drive the wheels but also charge the battery on over-run? So an alternator that also starts the engine isn't so much of a stretch. Or would t be easier to think of it as a starter motor that also charges the battery...

I did see somewhere that some of these stop-start things don't even use the starter motor to restart the engine, rather they stop the engine where one cylinder is just over tdc on the firing stroke, and to restart it the ecu just fires the relevant plug. Boom.

I guess this won't apply to a dizzler tho. :supafrisk:

Or you could just use a blank shotgun shell... https://youtu.be/VEurohAwrmA?t=44

rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

The bosses swapped their Jag and Subaru for his and hers Priuses (Prii?) in 2006 when they decided to feign f*ck-giving about the environment.

I once went from Newbury to Liverpool which felt like a long journey. I did notice that the engine was running more more than I had anticipated.
The interior plastics felt a bit cheap -- like a stereo -- and the seats really weren't anything special.
And another day five of us had to go to an excruciatingly awful meeting in Cheltenham. And back. That was long day.

One colleague had a Nissan Leaf; I think the battery cost as much as the rest of the car, and was expected to be dud after 10 years.

Welly

Post by Welly »

rwb wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 am And another day five of us had to go to an excruciatingly awful meeting in Cheltenham. And back. That was long day.
Oooohhh - tell me more :cheesy:

Someone f*cked up right? had to explain/defend themselves in front of an important income provider?
Cars in my care:
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

I still remember a morning commute around 2003 when I was driving a 3.0 manual Omega. A Prius tailgated me for 10 miles or so of A road, till we reached the A14, where he tried to out drag me at the end of the slip road. Unsurprisingly, it didn't work but it was neck and neck for about half a mile.
When he gave up & pulled back into lane 1 I noticed I might have been nudging 120.

I noticed a news item a week or so back informing us someone had developed a motorised wheel for leccy cars, an obvious development I'm amazed hasn't been widely adopted already. (We had motorised conveyor rollers in the 1970's steel industry). If you think about it, it's the perfect solution - no transmission and without too much of a leap, integral electro-mechanical brakes if regen/reverse torque can't be 110% dependable. Think of the ease of changing the dynamics fwd/rwd/4wd, not to mention the simplest, most effective means of directing the torque to the wheel(s) that have most grip. Same goes for braking.

No-brainer for me.