End of an era

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

End of an era

Post by Doggy »

My bro's last 406 got weighed in yesterday, this was an 02 2.2 GTX Estate we got for my daughter's partner about 3 years ago for under £400 so it didn't do too badly. The final straw was snapping off one of the studs that hold the injectors in.

He's replaced it with a tidy 07 407 2.2 SW in posh GT trim that drives nicely and should be good for a few years.

I reckon the trusty Dogmobile 2 will be going the same way within weeks once I find a replacement. MOT's up at end of March, 226k miles and just too many snags to resolve. I know it's vanishingly unlikely, but if anyone wants it for slightly better than scrap money, do let me know.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
rwb
3.0 24v

Re: End of an era

Post by rwb »

End of an era indeed.

Have you worn out all the 2.2 406s or do you think there might be another left?

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

End of an era indeed Eric.

The Dogmobile2 was and probably always will be the only 406 that put a smile on my face as soon as I drove it, it's low down torque and the 6 speed box made for very entertaining driving.

All good things must come to an end, truthfully I don't know of another car that will tick as many boxes however I hear the Passat is very good, as are the later Mondeo's..

I know of a mint 2005 Jaguar with full Jag history with the 2.7 Hdi and slushmatic box, but it's not an estate..

Whatever you decide it'll be for the best.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Nooo! Don't leave us! :cry:

Hold on a mo, Jaguars? Fords? Monkey gassers? You'll be back :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Buy Volvo. Continue with Forum. :cheesy:

It's quite sad now that many 406'ers are probably driving their last, there's just not the supply of decent used ones that there was 5 years ago.

A 407 or 508 would be a logical replacement but some of the drive trains/engine combo's don't suit everyone.

It should be celebrated though that the 406 was simple and reliable enough to be perfectly usable at over 15 years old. Best car Peugeot ever made? I'd say yes, I always thought it was such a shame that the motoring public always sort of looked past the 406 and didn't give it much credit.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

It nearly was for me, unable to find a decent 406 at a reasonable price I opted for a C220 Merc diesel which is OK but doesn't have that well worn slippers appeal of the 406.

Anyway as I have already told you I had a very nice one dropped into my lap for very little money and the car is indeed in very good condition with the lowest mileage that I have yet had - but - it wasn't looked after very well by its last owner. I decided to change the oil this morning, as it wasn't raining, simple enough job I thought.

Firstly I couldn't get the sump plug undone, I think someone must have used an impact wrench to fit it, I did eventually managed to remove it without stripping the thread and replaced the washer, fine, until I tried to undo the filter, probably fitted with a pair of 6' Stillsons. I tried three different chain wrenches which just slid round or off, I eventually attacked it with a lump hammer and long cold chisel and after some time managed to remove it but not before punching a hole in the oil cooler :shock: :evil: :( :oops: :roll:

Fortunately I have another in the scrap car in the field - but its another job and I can't move the car.

Peter