Tyre Pressure Gauges

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Tyre Pressure Gauges

Post by trufflehunt »

For about 30 years, up until about the time I bought my 406 in 2012..., I owned a traditional pressure gauge..
a PCL ( Pneumatic Components Ltd ) pencil type, with the sliding column that the pressure pushes out.

Then I thought.., time to go digital, so bought a £6 no brand item on eBay.
In use, I wasn't convinced about the accuracy, so thought, well, I'll try one from Halfords.

So from Halfords I bought their own brand digital, shaped like a small brick, cost around £10. ( Still a current model ).
In use, that seemed to match the pressures that the £6 no-name showed, so I reckoned they must be
reasonably accurate after all.

The cheapie lasted about a year before it started to show signs of distress, trying to get the thing switched on
became a pain, even after trying a new ( £2.50 ) battery. Eventually I binned it.

After another year or so, the Halfords one began to deteriorate, difficult to switch on, several goes required
to register a reading when applied to the tyre valve. Anyway, I persevered with it till a few weeks ago, when it
died completely.

So this time, I decided to go for a PCL digital model, on the basis that PCL is a British company, since the last 70 years,
they've made air pressure devices, have a good reputation, and the digital model had received very good reviews , in for example.
Auto Express.

So that was £10. In use, it feels clumsy in the hand, as you hold it, this almost obscures the display, and trying to get
a consistent reading seems to be hit and miss.

I'm almost at the point of returning to a good quality pencil type (PCL), I've become cheesed off with digital gauges.

Anyone else have experiences... ?
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: Tyre Pressure Gauges

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Yup,

I'm still on my PCL pencil gauge too, mine is at least 30 years old as it was my dad's first :roll:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
caprixpack
2.0 16v

Post by caprixpack »

Still using a Dunlop pencil gauge from the 60s, its still working fine so haven't replaced it.
1984 924 2.0 n/a crystal Green - The daily
2005 VW Passat tdi 130 Highline, now 170bhp & 290ft/lb
2000 Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi - stood for 4 years, fresh mot and mostly working.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Pencil gauge here too.b

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I had the garage type PCL for some years but eventually water got into it and I couldn't read the scale. I replaced it with a cheapie from ebay which has lasted very well but the tyre connector has never been much good, you need several goes to get it to seal and the PSI reading which is on the inner ring has faded so you can hardly read it, difficult to read anyway so I have just replaced it with another cheapie that looks good from ebay. It has a valve connector on a stalk so you have something to get hold of an apply some pressure, it also has the PSI reading on the outer ring in black and is much easier to read. I haven't used it yet, I will let you know what its like when I have.

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Sorry about that.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I was bought one of these by my boss years ago, works very well and it gets really thrown about with other tools.

Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
stevewalsh
2.0 16v

Post by stevewalsh »

Tyre Pressure gauges

My favourite subject, I have to admit I am OCD on tyre pressures, I have at least 6 pressure gauges and usually check all of mine on a Saturday morn if not away working.
Wife thinks I am a bit crazy
I check
2 cars, including spares
2 motorcycles
2 cycles
1 ride on mower
2 wheel barrows
And 1 sack truck.... (very OCD)

I have 2 Snap on pencil type gauges, had them for years and they live in each car, I check them occasionally against each other and against my other gauges, Analogue dial type, they always read the same, so I assume they are correct.. I recently bought 2 from Tacklife, Dial type analogue..https://www.tacklifetools.com all their stuff seems good quality, Also got welding mask and a OBD Code reader from them. Very happy with the quality

Got to go, Pressure gauges need cleaning :evil: :evil: :evil:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

It must be the lorry driver in you, it's very sensible to keep TP's in check, I still adjust my pressures for motorway driving and fully loaded etc, it might seem OTT to some but I've never had a tyre let go at 80MPH etc etc....

Plus Steve if you ever needed that sack truck in a hurry you'll be good to go :lol:

Makes me laugh when I see amateur cyclists riding with squishy tyres; it makes it so much harder work :roll:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
stevewalsh
2.0 16v

Post by stevewalsh »

Not sure when I became so obsessed with pressures and condition of tyre's, but it is not a bad thing, I also only check them early in the morn before the sun starts to increase the pressures.. Out here in the hot sunshine, they can differ by 10 psi from sun to shade... Always makes me wonder about people checking them on motorway services when they are very hot.