New 'stricter' MOTs...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

caprixpack
2.0 16v

Re: New 'stricter' MOTs...

Post by caprixpack »

My dad has to deal with this crap all the time, it amazes me how people can expect their car to pass an mot with bulbs out and balding tyres. 9 out of ten car that come in have almost no oil on the dip stick. I guess these are the same people you see sat at the side of the motor way every summer, their car does 30 miles a week and then is expected to do a 600 mile trip to France and back with no build up checks or maintenance.
1984 924 2.0 n/a crystal Green - The daily
2005 VW Passat tdi 130 Highline, now 170bhp & 290ft/lb
2000 Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi - stood for 4 years, fresh mot and mostly working.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

This is exactly what frightens me about buying a modern second hand car, younger folk these days have no idea about cars and don't want to know either, as long as they can Bluetooth stuff in it that's all that matters :roll:

Garage next door to me at work have had a few Mini's in with low oil, low enough to disable the VVT system and flag an engine light, by this time though the wear has started, one got away with new oil but wasn't 'happy', was advised to trade it in asap (great for next owner eh?).

Another guy noticed his car modern SAAB diesel was "making a funny noise"......turned out the water pump had siezed and the noise was the drivebelt polishing the pulley.....drove 20 miles like this and the engine got rather warmer than usual.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

My FAP-less 407 has once again passed MOT with no advisories (OK, they did have to replace the number plate bulbs...). Emissions limit applied is 3.0 with a note saying they couldn't find the sticker (don't think they looked).

Curiously the MOT advisory from last year has been withdrawn on the gov site. Anyone know the current state of play?
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
Wul
1.8 8v

Post by Wul »

Sorry for resurrecting old thread, I thought it would be better to post here instead of creating new thread :mrgreen:

Since Indonesia's capital city (Jakarta) has announced that they have a new rule that each vehicle older than 3 years required to underwent emission test every 6 months, I thought I would look up how UK has usually done the test, as a comparison.

I was just looking at this document: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... dition.pdf

It seems that both older and newer cars (with emission control) has the same maximum CO and HC limit. From what I gather, this test is done as part of yearly MOT, is that correct? If so, do older cars with no major modifications passed this without any problem or is there any emission control upgrade required to pass the test?
2001 406 D9 2.0i 16V 135 - planning to use it for at least 6 more years
1998 306 N3 1.8i 8V 103 - has been asleep for 8 years now
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Meh, old thread, new thread, it doesn't really matter.

That document has 261 pages! :shock: That's probably on purpose you know.

As far as I know the limits depend on year of manufacture and what the expectations were at the time (if any), newer cars are, what? Euro 6? There's no way a 20+ year old car's going to pass that junk. Also as far as I'm aware nobody had to do any modifications to their car to pass the emissions test, just so long as it's working as intended then it's fine.

Every 6 months sounds draconian though, just another way to make older cars less desirable and force you into buying "white goods" modern crap.

If you're worried go along to a test centre and get them to emission test your car. That way if there are any problems you won't be in for any surprises when you can't do anything about it.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I've just seen why that document has so many pages, I didn't realise it was car-specific :frown: Now your post makes more sense (sorry), the numbers are the same across all petrol 406's because they were all manufactured when that was the emissions standard they had to pass. Nobody has ever come on this here forum and said they had to modify their 406 to pass an emissions test. Repair yes, but modify? Never.

As said, if you're worried find your nearest friendly testing station and get them to stick it on the machine.

Oh and yes, it's still yearly in the UK (here too, mine's next month :roll: )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Wul
1.8 8v

Post by Wul »

Most of that 261 pages are just lists of however many models of car available in UK. Something like this:

I'm (thankfully) not in that city, so no need to do the test. I just find it interesting because Jakarta's regulation are divided based on the age of vehicle:
Before 2007 production year:
CO limit of 4.5%
HC limit of 1200 ppm
After 2007 production year:
CO limit of 1.5%
HC limit of 200 ppm
While in the UK's document I linked previously, essentially there's no difference in CO and HC limit, regardless of age. So if older cars usually passed UK's test with no problem, then I guess it should pass Jakarta's test with so much headroom to spare. :shock:
2001 406 D9 2.0i 16V 135 - planning to use it for at least 6 more years
1998 306 N3 1.8i 8V 103 - has been asleep for 8 years now