GDPR emails

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

GDPR emails

Post by Welly »

They're coming in thick and fast now, I don't really give a sh*t about what it all means but in basic terms am I right in saying "if you don't agree to us keeping your personal data then we can't send you any more emails and sh*t" ?? they're certainly coming over as "please don't go" and all that.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: GDPR emails

Post by steve_earwig »

I've had loads of them, I've no idea if they're important and the only time I tried to follow one (credit card co. so maybe important) the link didn't work. And I'm not keen on following links found in emails, they could be bogus :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Didn't think they'd apply in crowhaysher :?

I'm ignoring all of them cos I'm dead cool and won't be bothered about stuff. Or something.

Probs won't be so cool in a months time when my bank account gets locked down, the car insurance expires and they've been round to cut the Gas off.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

You think I'd trust a Croatian bank for anything? :shock: It's all UK stuff. Oh, saying that, I've just got one from Banggood and that's Chinese :?

Hopefully it's just about letting them fill our inboxes up with advertising crap, rather than anything important. Hopefully.

Welly

Post by Welly »

I've got an old aol email address I use for purchasing stuff, I daren't look on there to see how many there is, last time I looked it was way over 2000 unread mails :lol:
Cars in my care:
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Over the last 10+ years, I've run a couple of small one man band retail websites, and accumulated a lot of customers and their email addresses.

One of the sites I allowed to fade.
The other is current.

With the latter, there's a lot of customers who have ordered repeatedly from me. I've sent out the GDPR emails to all of them.
About 2% of the whole customer base have unsubscribed, all customers who made one purchase, years ago, and have not returned.
Just about everyone else took no action, nothing, neither actively opt in, nor unsubscribed. My normal marketing activity is that about every 3 months I send out a newsletter, special offer, discount code maybe..., and the 'email opening rate' is 40+ %. That's about 5 x times the industry average. So the interest is there.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed.
Just putting the position of someone at the other end of the GDPR emails.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
Welly

Post by Welly »

I thought the whole idea was "hey we're telling you this so it's up to you what you do about it" but similarly "we did tell you" and "if you don't respond you're agreeing to...." etc...???

Moreover, what's this retail site of yours?? :D
Cars in my care:
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Welly wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:13 am I thought the whole idea was "hey we're telling you this so it's up to you what you do about it" but similarly "we did tell you" and "if you don't respond you're agreeing to...." etc...???

Moreover, what's this retail site of yours?? :D
Yes, that's likely how I'll interpret it.

Site is..
https://www.southerndriedfish.co.uk
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

trufflehunt wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 pm About 2% of the whole customer base have unsubscribed, all customers who made one purchase, years ago, and have not returned.
People doing a spring clean of all the no-longer-relevant marketing they receive. It's a good time to be cutting down on spam.
Just about everyone else took no action, nothing, neither actively opt in, nor unsubscribed. My normal marketing activity is that about every 3 months I send out a newsletter, special offer, discount code maybe..., and the 'email opening rate' is 40+ %. That's about 5 x times the industry average. So the interest is there.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed.
Just putting the position of someone at the other end of the GDPR emails.
It depends on whether you can prove those people gave opt-in consent and you were clear as to exactly what they were opting in to. If you can, you didn't even need to annoy them with a GDPR email.

Out of 100s of GDPR emails, I can count the amount I've received from big companies on one hand, and those have all been "please login and re-affirm your marketing preferences in settings, but you don't have to do anything really". No company big enough to have a decent legal team has actually gone and said "please click this link else we're going to lose you as a customer *sob*". Just the small companies who have been listening to the fearmongering about the big bad GDPR...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

With me, it's more a case of trying to do the right thing by my customers.

Every person on the email list is someone who buys, or has made a purchase. No signing up for newsletters, no bought in email lists.
In marketing terms, someone making a purchase was generally considered to be an opt-in. Now I'm not sure.

I work to the old business saying, '... the money is in the list...', as in repeat customers. I don't want to p*ss them off.

Actually, one thing that annoys me when I'm on other peoples lists, is getting bombarded with emails every few days. ( Halfords, Argos..)
I'd quite like to be able to specify how often I wish to receive marketing emails.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
Welly

Post by Welly »

That's a nice looking website truffy, easy to read and clear about what you do, best of luck with future sales of your quality Bombay Duck 8)
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I love the BBC review, sounds right tasty does that :shock:

They sell a lot of dried cod here (bakalar), it looks like knackered old chamois leathers hanging up in the supermarket. Max says it's delicious but takes a hell of a lot of cooking. I suspect rather like stone soup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup#Story

trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Welly wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 am That's a nice looking website truffy, easy to read and clear about what you do, best of luck with future sales of your quality Bombay Duck 8)

Thank you Welly, very kind of you to say so.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

steve_earwig wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:49 am I love the BBC review, sounds right tasty does that :shock:

They sell a lot of dried cod here (bakalar), it looks like knackered old chamois leathers hanging up in the supermarket. Max says it's delicious but takes a hell of a lot of cooking. I suspect rather like stone soup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup#Story
Yes, at first sight most of these dried fish things don't look very appetising. I almost classify them as secret delights.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6