New owner

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

J4U64L

New owner

Post by J4U64L »

Hey guys just baught a 406 2.0hdi Estate rapier spec with lots of optional goodies very very happy with it all ready as it does more than 13mpg like my last car, a v6 freelander. Glad I've found a group for these things as there doesn't seem to be a group on Facebook but I'm probably looking in the wrong place. Big plans with it all ready as it's pretty battered on all 4 corners so new bumpers are a must! I'm unsure as to whether it's a 90bhp or a 110 so if anyone can help me figure that out I'd be grateful! Also a little Confused why I have 2 temperature gauges but I'm totally new to these things so I'm sure I've a lot to learn and looking forward to being educated

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: New owner

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, welcome to the club :cheesy:
The 406 is a much underrated car - it's frugal, reliable, comfortable, spacious and loads of spares about. Until you own one then generally it's just considered to be a big unreliable French car...!!
Bumpers are easily swapped, as are the wings and bonnet etc..
To see if you have a 90 or a 110, look either in the driver's door B pillar, or in the engine bay - the 110 has an intercooler next to the radiator, and a long black pipe running from this to the engine.
406 owners club are on Farcebook, I was there for a year or so before I ditched Farcebook.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
J4U64L

Post by J4U64L »

Oh wonderful! I've bagged myself a 110! I was worried after looking at the tax costs for the pre 2001 models that the 90 is 245 a year, looks like I've dodged that bullet. I have found 1 or 2 niggles with it like the outdoor temp sensor has no reading and the indicators don't tick when operating. Also it seems to have automatic wipers but haven't noticed them doing anything yet. Anything I should be worried about?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Welcome on in :D
Same as mine :cheesy:
Very quite on here these days as most owner's have ether moved on or gone over to the dark side :frown:
Farcebook :evil:
But post on here the few of us that are left will try to help :)

Two temp gauges, one for water on the right, other for engine oil on the left 8)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
stevewalsh
2.0 16v

Post by stevewalsh »

Ticker for indicators is the same unit that whistles when keys left in or lights on when getting out, Its behind the speedo assembly and may have been silenced

Enjoy the car, and this site, they are wonderful
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

The outside temp sensor is an easy fix - it's the little black lump on the underside of the n passenger mirror.
Replacements can be got from eBay, scrapyards etc and it's a case of removing the coloured part off the back of the mirror (carefully) and then popping the glass out by pulling the big spring clip up.
You can just cut the wires and splice the new one in - the wires can go either way round - I think - and then pop the glass back in and then put the coloured part back on.
If it's easier, the whole mirror is held on with 3 torx screws and a connector - I took my mirror off and took it indoors to fix the sensor 8)
Don't worry about the wipers not working on auto, it's not a great system anyway, but again it's probably the sensor behind the rear view mirror, or the drivers wiper blade is too short and not wiping the windscreen in front of the sensor so it thinks it needs to be on permanent wipe, not delay.....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
matoakwell
1.8 8v

Post by matoakwell »

Also it seems to have automatic wipers but haven't noticed them doing anything

You have moved the stalk to the auto position?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks