ADVICE SOUGHT FOR STORING A 406 / NON USE

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

tonyredz
1.8 8v

ADVICE SOUGHT FOR STORING A 406 / NON USE

Post by tonyredz »

Hello,
I have put my 406 Hdi 90 on a SORN as not currently using it. I am considering leaving it on SORN for up-to a year. Just looking for any advice for leaving the car standing outside in yard (I don't have a garage). I have not used the car since mid August, since then the car's front off-side coil spring has collapsed whilst parked. This is the second time this has happened whist parked in same spot (last time was 7 years ago). The car was 7 years old at that time. I previously posted on that occasion.
The car is currently not taxed, MOT'd or insured.
I would expect to leave the handbrake off, leave in gear? with full tank of diesel and start it up regularly and move it around my yard. But with the busted coil spring, will I be doing / causing damage by leaving it standing in that condition and from time to time when I move it around yard? The alternative would to get it trailered to a garage and have it fixed, or fix it this time next year when I plan to use it again.

Any do's or don'ts hints and tips for storing a 406 Hdi. not currently in use much appreciated. Cheers.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: ADVICE SOUGHT FOR STORING A 406 / NON USE

Post by PeterN »

I have one that has been standing in a field for about 3 years, the electronics failed at 246k miles so I bought another, the car is still in pretty good condition now, I visit when I need spares as we have two that are running, apart from that I mow the grass round it now and again.

The thing you must not do is let it get wet inside or even damp, if you see condensation on the inside of the windows open them when appropriate or even better the doors. You are not likely to have an mechanical defects from storing it but it it gets damp it can do for the electronics, that's what happened to mine.

Leaving the handbrake off is a good idea but everything else should be OK if you start it up periodically, depressing the clutch and putting it in gear will help the clutch not to stick. You will need to charge the battery every three months or so.

Diesel doesn't degrade much even over a long period so I shouldn't worry about that.

Peter
piglet
2.0 Turbo

Post by piglet »

If on grass drive it up on blocks to get good airflow under the chassis and don't let the grass grow up around it.
Lock-ups can be worse than open cover. Good air flow and keep it dry.

I SORN my Connect stealth camper for the winter and keeping it dry is difficult because we are surrounded by trees, I have a garage but it gets really damp, the tin roof sweats & drips.
It does better in the car port where there is air movement.

I spray gear box oil under my vehicles when I can, bit messy but it creeps into all the cracks & rust traps.

We tried to rescue a 205 for the boy, it had been parked outside on concrete tight against an HGV trailer. The side that was next to the trailer was good but the side out in the open was beyond saving, I reckon the rain had been splashing up off the concrete.
2003 estate Hdi90 Siemens Fully pimped (roofrack&towbar)
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

...and that too. :)

Peter