Rewinding rear Brake Calipers - any tips please?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Rewinding rear Brake Calipers - any tips please?

Post by Welly »

Going to replace the rear discs and pads on the Citroen C4 soon.

I've purchased a caliper rewind set (both left-hand and right-hand threads) with all the adapters to fit various vehicles/pistons - this should be fine.

I've done brakes before so will clean/brush all the surfaces and use copper slip at the contact points edge/rear of pad backings etc.

Question is what's with the left/right handed threads? should I expect one side to be left and the other right (for winding the pistons in).

I'm also assuming once the new pads are in place; a few pumps of the pedal will 're-seat' the piston and no further adjustment required? I remember a Honda I had was a pain to set up on the rear and they would bind if the piston wasn't set in the right place with new pads.

Lastly, whilst rewinding/compressing a rear caliper is it sufficient to open the fluid reservoir cap or do you need to open the caliper bleed nipple? if I need to start bleeding then I will not attempt the job.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Rewinding rear Brake Calipers - any tips please?

Post by PeterN »

All those I have come across have had normal right hand threads but then I have never done a C4. If the pads are worn right down and the fluid has been topped up accordingly there will probably be some spillage from the reservoir.

As you say a few pumps of the pedal should close up the gap between pads and calipers and unless air has been allowed to get into the system no bleeding should be needed but top up the reservoir.

Peter
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I looked in Citroen back-up but there's nothing useful (a return to normality :frown: ) however I'm sure you'll figure it out :P

Ah, beat me to it Peter! I was going to say you shouldn't need to touch the bleeds, this would be a bad thing to do. Just keep an eye on the m/cylinder, if it's getting near the top you might need to take some out (with a special tool or a length of clear hose and your gob) or prepare to douse everything with water once you're done.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I think the C4 is normal right hand thread but if the piston appears tight check for left hand thread.

Before you screw back the pistons peel back the rubbers and squirt WD40 around the rubber seal where it meets the piston...this stops the rubber from twisting round or splitting....also make sure the handbrake levers at the caliper are fully back onto their stops...if not, the handbrake cable may need slackening before you start.

When you have finished, pump the brake pedal with the engine running then switch off and pump it again until the pedal becomes firm...do this before you touch the handbrake.

You may find that after a short while the handbrake will pull up higher...when this happens place a screwdriver in the caliper and lever it back away from the pad, it won't move much but just enough to reset the handbrake adjuster...pump up the brake pedal as previously suggested then work the handbrake.
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

My Mondeo even when tuning the right way was ridiculously tight. To be honest at 97,000miles it was still on it's original rear brakes.

I ended up undoing the rear bleed nipple and bled the system afterwards.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
Welly

Post by Welly »

Many thanks all! 8)

This bit has me scared though:
jasper5 wrote: You may find that after a short while the handbrake will pull up higher...when this happens place a screwdriver in the caliper and lever it back away from the pad, it won't move much but just enough to reset the handbrake adjuster...pump up the brake pedal as previously suggested then work the handbrake.
Cars in my care:
piglet
2.0 Turbo

Post by piglet »

I bought the kit and did the ones on my Ford Connect van.
No probs, don't really get how they work though.
2003 estate Hdi90 Siemens Fully pimped (roofrack&towbar)
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Welly wrote:Many thanks all! 8)

This bit has me scared though:
jasper5 wrote: You may find that after a short while the handbrake will pull up higher...when this happens place a screwdriver in the caliper and lever it back away from the pad, it won't move much but just enough to reset the handbrake adjuster...pump up the brake pedal as previously suggested then work the handbrake.
You mean placing a screwdriver between the caliper and brake pad then levering the caliper back half a millimetre and pumping up the brake with the handbrake off scares you?
Why on earth are you preparing to replace the discs and pads then?
Welly

Post by Welly »

Ah ok, sorry I misread your post, I now realise what you mean. I used to do brake changes in my youth, it's been a while but the principle is still broadly the same. I can follow guidance and use tools competently enough to work safely. I hope :o

You've helped me before with guidance with the C4's awkward Air Filter and tips with the oil change, many thanks. To be honest if I lived closer I would give you work, I know you're very skilled with lots of experience.
Cars in my care: