3.0 V6

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Suprallen

3.0 V6

Post by Suprallen »

After owning two 3.0 V6 coupe's, I now have a 3.0 V6 saloon, the engine pickup is not as instant as the coupe's, is there a difference between the saloon and coupe ECU's or induction system, if so is it worth switching to a coupe setup.
Bailes1992

Re: 3.0 V6

Post by Bailes1992 »

There are two different versions of this engine. Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples?
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
Suprallen

Post by Suprallen »

My first coupe was the early engine and the second was the later, I was hard pressed to tell the difference, the saloon is the early engine again but doesn't seem as sprightly, perhaps it's not a weight thing, they both weigh the same
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

The early engine (ES9J4) has 194 HP. The later engine has 210 HP and variable valve timing; PSA asked Porsche to tune up the cylinder head for the engine, and the result was the more powerful ES9J4S unit. When fitted to the 406, the ES9J4S also has an additional bank of catalytic converters (pre-cats) intended to provide compliance with more stringent European emissions regulations - these restrict the exhaust flow and reduce engine performance.

It is possible to delete the redundant (unmonitored) bank of catalytic converters, which will permit additional exhaust gas flow and provide up to 15 additional HP without the engine failing UK MOT exhaust emissions tests. However, VOSA rules say the MOT tester should fail your car if anti-pollution devices have been removed. So far I haven't heard of anyone failing their MOT as a result (this also includes people deleting the DPF from their 2.2 diesel 406), but on your own head be it if you do delete the redundant cats and subsequently fail your test.

The induction system between the saloon/estate models and the Coupe are the same - from the factory, the air intake is down by the front-left wheel, and comprises of a "knitted sock" of fabric material that runs up to the airbox. On some cars, I've heard that this "sock" can lose structural rigidity and pinch itself shut under acceleration, resulting in restricted airflow getting into the engine. You may want to check your intake pipe to ensure it hasn't suffered a similar fate.

May also be worth fitting a K&N / Pipercross / ITG panel filter into the stock airbox, and/or installing an induction kit to draw cold air in from the front of the car, rather than through the front-left wheel well. The default position of this air intake is a poor design choice on the RHD versions of the 406 because it means that while you're driving on the left side of the road, you're more likely to suck water up through puddles (hydrolocking the engine) than you would if you were driving on the right side of the road (owing to road camber drawing water to the gutters). Moving the air intake higher up or to the right side of the car would significantly reduce the risk, as well as improve intake air flow and engine responsiveness.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
cento16v
1.8 8v

Post by cento16v »

My D9 v6 406 Saloon had a power flow exhaust fitted by the previous owner with the cats removed and it really was quite quick for what it was, certainly didn't feel any slower than the 9-5 Aero that replaced it.

Not sure about the early engines but correct plugs and new coils made a difference to the smoothness and the high rev pull of mine.
2002 3.0 V6 Executive
2005 Volvo S60 SE Lux
2007 Mini Cooper S
1998 Cinquecento