Missing the 406

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Missing the 406

Post by FarmerPug »

I am going to put my 406 back on the road, the 607 is a grand big barge for peanuts but they are by no means an entertaining machine to pilot, nor is mine particularly easy to run.

Some recommissioning is ongoing. The brakes require going over i have new disks and pads, rebuild kits for the rear calliper slide pins and need one slide pin for the front, and one ABS sensor wire has become frayed, it seems salvageable.

Im just now finding the faults that i forgot about.
The fuel filler cap stopped springing open, in my haste yesterday i removed the full assembly, today after reading the manual on its removal the pin just slides up, and i forgot about the clothes peg spring trick, anyhow the liner is off to clean the inside of the arch.

The next issue it has is the thermostat housing, i have a plastic one on this car with a small crack that leaks very slowly, the only way i could see it was with a pressure tester.
Im trying to take off said plastic part and replace it with an Aluminium one, reaching in round for the rear pipe it looks like a job to do up on the lift to get this pipe out:
Anyone ever swapped one of these over?
nutski
2.0 Turbo

Re: Missing the 406

Post by nutski »

Yeah, I changed that on one of my old 2.2's when it had a crack in it, it wasn't too bad apart from that bloody rear pipe as from memory it's only a push fit but bloody tight, was nearly using a crow bar to get it out!
1997 2.1 TD Exec (Sold)
1997 3.0 V6 Coupe S (Sold)
2001 406 HDi 110 GTX (Sold)
2002 406 Coupe HDi SE (RIP)
2003 406 Estate HDi 2.2 SE (Sold)
2003 406 Coupe HDi SE (To be sold)
2001 406 Coupe 3.0 V6 SE
2003 406 2.2 HDi SE
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

The rear pipe on this was held in with a bolt, subframe out and it still took a fair bit of stripping, seems the plastic part has a seal inside where it splits apart:

The aloominum one didnt just go in perfectly, there are two extra pipes on it which i pulled out of the housing just need to get them welded up, some sealant will need to be used when refitting as i dont see any gasket available on servicebox

One other thing, ive got the drivers side driveshaft in the vice, how does the outer joint come off to change the boot?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi Frank!

There's a lot of "depends on manufacturer" type stuff but, basically...
Service Box wrote:inertia extractor
That'll be a slide hammer :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Got the aluminium part fitted, there is a bracket that sits beside it which holds the fuel rail, dipstick, engine cover and pipe bracket. This has to be removed and replaced with steel parts off a hdi 90
That was the aluminium bracket off my engine, initially i tried to adjust its shape to suit but even the studs that hold it in are too long
ImageImage

There is a slight difference in pipe sizes so all spring clips are replaced with new jubilee clips, plus a new seal for this water pipe union

The drveshaft came off easily enough with a bit of wood and a hammer
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

The 406 is back together and ready for an Mot. One slight issue... while flushing out be old coolant into a bucket there were blobs of oil present, it was almost like grease in its consistency. Bugger

How likely is it that the oil cooler has went rather than the HG? Is the oil cooler best tested by bypassing it and running the car, or will oil come out it its mixing oil into the water here. What sort of adapter is used to do a compression test on these engines?