Peugeot / Vauxhall deal

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Peugeot / Vauxhall deal

Post by Welly »

You've probably heard about Peugeot's talks with GM to buy their European business?

I saw the below posting on another forum and thought it was all summed up rather well:

Phase 1. Join together two losers, financed by Dongfeng in China and the French Govt then go hunting for massive economies of scale - more shared platforms, technology, supply chain etc. Look to remove overcapacity in production, which will be prevented by the Unions in Germany and the Unions and Govt in France. Turn guns on Ellesmere Port and Luton and use handily available Brexit excuse. British Govt will make some wimpering and huffing and puffing noises but that will be about the extent of it.

Phase 2. Continue process indefinitely whilst Koreans/Skoda whittle away at the cheap end of your market and 'premium' Germans encroach from above. Waste money trying to push DS as a premium brand. Launch Mokka in Iran to punish them for nuclear programme

Phase 3. Run out of money again in about five years. Govt steps in again. Continue cycle with maybe added Renault or FCA or both.

Source: http://autoshite.com/topic/27218-peugeo ... hall-opel/
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Peugeot / Vauxhall deal

Post by Doggy »

Welly per Autoshite wrote:Launch Mokka in Iran to punish them for nuclear programme
Oh Yes! :lol:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
deMarcel
1.6 8v

Post by deMarcel »

Peugeot is actually in (partly) good order again. Sales are going upwards too. The same can't be said about Opel though. Peugeot announced that Sochaux will be completely renewed with newest technology to increase production possibilities and economy.

We'll see, I guess.

LOL on the Iran sentence! :D
Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Prins VSI LPG, galileo green

Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Vialle LPG, polaris blue

Coupe 3.0 ES9J4S automatic, settant anni no. 0076, hades grey
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Must say, I thought Renault have being doing quite well, for example, with Dacia their budget brand.

I think, in the short to medium term, the UK government will do the various backroom nudges and winks,
and promises ( like they did with Nissan ), and/or something along the lines what has been done with the steelworkers
at Port Talbot...Basically hold a gun to the heads of the employees to accept a reduction in pay or pensions, and/or rob
pension funds to enable the owners to avoid the commitments.

In Germany, car manufacturers have long had the support of the banking system, both nationally and in the states.
( As compared with the banking system that has failed in this country, which has existed only to feed itself on the rest of the economy )
In Japan, postwar, although it was acclaimed as a new democracy, in reality the government was essentially a tool of the heavy
industrialists, and the goal was to apply all effort to rebuild the Japanese economy.

I used to live a mile up the road from the Ford Transit factory in Eastleigh, Hampshire. That closed a few years ago, when Ford decided
they could make more profits by making Transits in Turkey. They did so with the aid of EU funding, and money from taxpayers in this country.

Whatever one's position on Brexit (I'm Remain ), I believe this kind of behaviour has become increasingly unacceptable in this country.
Last edited by trufflehunt on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
Welly

Post by Welly »

Well said.

I believe more and more that one day when all the Investment Bankers and City Traders are sat on a private beach somewhere with a smug look about them we'll all be sat here thinking a collective "Oh sh*t" when we finally acknowledge we've been fed a lifetime of lies and half truths and are then expected to fend for ourselves.

On the news last night they were saying that UK Vauxhall Plants run at 70% capacity or something. That's ok because the rest of the 30% can get busy making Peugeot Cars over here and increase employment. Place yer bets........
Cars in my care:
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

Welly wrote:
On the news last night they were saying that UK Vauxhall Plants run at 70% capacity or something. That's ok because the rest of the 30% can get busy making Peugeot Cars over here and increase employment. Place yer bets........
If the govt whacks a decent import duty on car imports it would incentivise manufacturers to produce cars locally...... iirc the yanks do this and all the Japanese manufacturers are building their cars in the states for the US domestic market.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

With my rarely used strategic hat on, I would say Peugeot are looking to:

1. Remove competition from GM
2. Establish some manufacturing capability in the UK to get easier access for imports and exports across the channel regardless of how Brexit turns out
3. Grab some cheap assets before the rest of the vultures gather.

(Not necessarily in that order).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly

Post by Welly »

These car makers benefit from 'buying' the R&D carried out by the competitor who made significant investments and technological advancements in the process.

Expect to see them 'Matrix' headlamps on all Peugeot's soon......

Ooh just thought; a Vauxhall that's actually comfy to sit in.....that'll be nice.
Cars in my care:
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Welly, l had a vectra gsi 15 years ago :shock: , them Recaros were really comfortable 8)
Went well to with a host of Courtney sport mods, but oh so heavy on super unleaded :roll:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

And that doesn't spend half its life in the garage? I suspect that mainly applies to cars also badged as Chevrolets, which are getting a reputation for being (what's the technical term? Ah yes) shitboxes.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.