Buying a Cat D repaired car

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Buying a Cat D repaired car

Post by Welly »

Anyone got any advice about Cat D's ?

Looking for a Renner Twingo at the moment and the best one we've seen so far (online) is a Cat D. All looks nice and straight in the pics but obvs need to go have a look. It's offered up at an independent car sales dealer.

I'm not really put off too much as next door at work buy in Cat D's (mostly VAG stuff) and turn them around, I see them come in with smashed headlights, mangled wings/bumper etc and they come back out really tidy with nice shut-lines and ready to go.

I understand the cost of some minor damage claims can rise with Hire Car costs/storage etc so renders a car uneconomical to repair....leading to a bargain for someone else, potentially.

Ideally you'd like to see the 'before repair' condition yourself so that's a bit of a sticking point but taking this Renner as an example it's a 2011 car 33K miles for £2,195.00 (normally would be about £3,000 ish).

Just wondered what most peoples thoughts were generally?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Re: Buying a Cat D repaired car

Post by OllieNZ »

Depends on the level of damage done imo.
My Jimny would have been a cat C or D if I'd bothered the insurance company with it.
Plastic rear bumper (dealer only part) plus painting was over £800, then add the 2 tail light units plus bulbs and the total was over £1000 for a £1000 car with no structural damage at all. Then as you say about other costs like hire car etc it's easier for the insurance company to write it off.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: Buying a Cat D repaired car

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

+1 :arrowu: ,
T, wife's 206 was reversed into last year rear quarter only rest of the car's very good,
A dent I could nearly push out with my hand :roll: , first quote ( oh new rear quarter mate ) £1950 + vat :shock:
Insurance ( no way it's written off mate),
I take it round to my trusted bodyshop, can you do it old school n panel beat it?
Yeah, no problem £800.00, rang insurance, cash settlement £1200 no record.
Job done.
What I'm trying to say is they can write off a perfectly good vehicle for something very minor :frown:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol: