406 vs 307 so far...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Buck347
1.6 8v

406 vs 307 so far...

Post by Buck347 »

Hi, as you know my 406 developed a rattle which is yet to be diagnosed. (I broke my ankle last month so unable for a few more weeks :( )
I bought a little 307 1.4hdi to use for now. Straight away I noticed it's no-where near as comfy ride as my 406. In the 307 you feel every bump.
Secondly as it's only a 1.4 diesel it feels really slow especially setting off. I keep thinking the car behind is gonna run into the back as we're so slow out of corners or at the lights when we set off.
Im not sure about the economy of it, so far I've done 215 miles on £20. I've just stuck another tenner in it.

My petrol 406Glx 2ltr estate has been great on petrol.

The jury is out on it at the moment, I envy you guys with the 2ltr or exec 406 estates. I hope to find a good one with low miles when I'm next car shopping. :)
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: 406 vs 307 so far...

Post by highlander »

A remap might see a bit of usability out of that 1.4 HDi lump, but it'll likely cost you a couple of hundred notes.

This lot claim to have a map that will take your 68 HP 1.4 HDi up to 90 HP with 190 Nm of torque, which should be a substantial improvement (akin to dropping in an 8v 2.0 HDi 90 instead of your 1.4 HDi). You can buy the map file for £150, and then flash it to your ECU using a special cable/interface called a BDM100. Here's the product page:
http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/ecu-remappi ... -4-68.html

They also have videos showing you how to do it, once you have the map file.

If you don't want to remap your car yourself, you could use a Superchips dealer. They'll likely charge you around £300 all-inclusive, but they are the ones who will apply the map.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Buck347 wrote:Hi, as you know my 406 developed a rattle which is yet to be diagnosed. (I broke my ankle last month so unable for a few more weeks :( )
I bought a little 307 1.4hdi to use for now. Straight away I noticed it's no-where near as comfy ride as my 406. In the 307 you feel every bump.
Secondly as it's only a 1.4 diesel it feels really slow especially setting off. I keep thinking the car behind is gonna run into the back as we're so slow out of corners or at the lights when we set off.
Im not sure about the economy of it, so far I've done 215 miles on £20. I've just stuck another tenner in it.

My petrol 406Glx 2ltr estate has been great on petrol.

The jury is out on it at the moment, I envy you guys with the 2ltr or exec 406 estates. I hope to find a good one with low miles when I'm next car shopping. :)
I wouldn't bother with the 307 1.4hdi there utter Sxxt & the 1.4 is a waste of time stick with your trusted 406.
Oh & don't get to hung up on millage, a well looked after high mileage car is much better than a low mileage neglected one :roll:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Buck347
1.6 8v

Post by Buck347 »

I'd already bought the 307 so using it for now, once I'm able (broken leg) to look at my 406 and see what the problem is, I can decide if it's worth fixing.

Worst case it's the gearbox but I'm hoping it's not.
My 406 2litre petrol has done almost 140000 which is a lot for a petrol engine imo.

As for re mapping the 307 that would cost more than its worth, and beyond my ability :-( plus I'd prob lose one of the only good bits about it, the economy. Only other good thing so far is the £30 a year Rd tax.

Thanks for the replies :-)
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Buck347 wrote:plus I'd prob lose one of the only good bits about it, the economy
A lot of remapped cars (most of them, even) end up with better fuel economy than they started with ... It's like witchcraft, but inherently less evil.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

highlander wrote:A lot of remapped cars (most of them, even) end up with better fuel economy than they started with ... It's like witchcraft, but inherently less evil.
True, but there's still no replacement for displacement, as that colonial gentleman said.

Trust me, a 50mpg remapped 2.2 HDi will cost you more, but you'd be happy to pay for it. :supafrisk:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Buck347
1.6 8v

Post by Buck347 »

Do these 1.4hdi engines have turbo's. I've also read about some special fluid from Peugeot that cost a fortune, what's that all about?
I was thinking maybe it's so slow is the turbo bust or something?
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Buck347 wrote:Do these 1.4hdi engines have turbo's. I've also read about some special fluid from Peugeot that cost a fortune, what's that all about?
All HDi engines are common rail turbo-diesels.

The special fluid is called "Eloys" and is an additive to aid in the cleansing of particles from a diesel particulate filter (DPF), sometimes also referred to as a "FAP" (which is the French acronym for the same thing). I don't think the 1.4 HDi has a DPF, but I could be wrong. The fluid is indeed expensive.

The reason it's slow is because it's a fairly heavy car and not a very powerful engine. It has a turbo, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. The engine has roughly the same maximum horsepower as the 1.4 petrol Mk.1 Clio I had as my first car - but the 307 is much heavier. The torque is important, though; the HDi has more torque than a similarly-sized petrol engine - but with such a small engine, you'll have a more narrow power band, so you need to work your gear changes at the right points to keep the acceleration coming.

Doggy is right - a larger engine is the best way forward - I only suggested a remap because it seemed like a relatively inexpensive way of getting more usable power from the engine in the car you already own. £150 isn't much for a new map, and you might find if you don't know how to do it yourself, that maybe one of your mates could do it for you.

A 2.2 HDi 406 Exec seems to be the way to go - it'll have more power from the get-go, and silly amounts of power can be unlocked through some fettling.
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

I had a 206+ with the 1.4 HDi as a courtesy car the last time my 406 was in for a service. That car was unbelievably lethargic, I can't imagine how bad it must be in the bigger and heavier 307.

I have a 206 with the 1.4 petrol as a courtesy car right now, and there is absolutely no comparison. It's still a pretty slow car, but it's nowhere near the pig the HDi was, and you can at least rev the petrol out and have a bit of fun that way.
Last edited by KozmoNaut on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

highlander wrote:
Buck347 wrote:Do these 1.4hdi engines have turbo's. I've also read about some special fluid from Peugeot that cost a fortune, what's that all about?
All HDi engines are common rail turbo-diesels.

The special fluid is called "Eloys" and is an additive to aid in the cleansing of particles from a diesel particulate filter (DPF), sometimes also referred to as a "FAP" (which is the French acronym for the same thing). I don't think the 1.4 HDi has a DPF, but I could be wrong. The fluid is indeed expensive.

The reason it's slow is because it's a fairly heavy car and not a very powerful engine. It has a turbo, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. The engine has roughly the same maximum horsepower as the 1.4 petrol Mk.1 Clio I had as my first car - but the 307 is much heavier. The torque is important, though; the HDi has more torque than a similarly-sized petrol engine - but with such a small engine, you'll have a more narrow power band, so you need to work your gear changes at the right points to keep the acceleration coming.

Doggy is right - a larger engine is the best way forward - I only suggested a remap because it seemed like a relatively inexpensive way of getting more usable power from the engine in the car you already own. £150 isn't much for a new map, and you might find if you don't know how to do it yourself, that maybe one of your mates could do it for you.

A 2.2 HDi 406 Exec seems to be the way to go - it'll have more power from the get-go, and silly amounts of power can be unlocked through some fettling.

The only problem is finding a good one (trust me I've been looking for over a year).
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol: