1.6HDi coming our way - Please Help!

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Re: 1.6HDi coming our way - Please Help!

Post by OllieNZ »

2.2hdi 807? :supafrisk:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

:supafrisk:

I know, have a quick squint at the reliability/problems with a Mazda CX-5 Mazda's are bloody brilliant nothing goes wrong with them....

WRONG
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Welly

Re: Buggering bugger ffs

Post by Welly »

Front spring snapped on the C4 yesterday slicing the tyre wide open like an orange peel, all at parking speed, you could see right inside the tyre went with a "massive bang" according to Mrs_Welly :shock:

Spring jammed against the wheel and dropped on one corner by a good 6" it had to be 'skated' onto the recovery truck and it's now in the garage next to my work looking sorry for itself.

Garage has had 3 cars in this week with snapped springs; blaming the cold weather and cheap crappy steel....

On top of this my lovely Volvo after 10 years of impeccable service has spat the dummy out and cut turbo boost to virtually zero with no fault codes showing so that's going to be a magical mystery tour of fault finding, testing, poking about, swearing and anxiety.

Cars this week can FRO :frown:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh lordy :( What is it with modern springs though? I'm sure I can't remember ever hearing of coil springs breaking in olden times, now days they seem to be breaking left, right and middle. Maybe they are made of a little bit thinner steel to cut weight but not by much and I thought modern materials were meant to be so much better now too. Some cars seem even to be designed to catch the spring to stop it doing much damage, like the springs are designed to fail at some point, not PSA though :roll:

No idea on the turbot, no idea how it's plumbed in - split pipe? Stuck wastegate? Act of dog? Can't imagine it would be something major though, not without reports of clouds of smoke anyway...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Ooh look 19000 posts!

French coil springs are notoriously 'long' before being compressed not sure if this is an old principle of bumpy french back roads and needing lots of sussy travel? so when they snap they go with some force! this one went pulling out of a parking space and blocking a narrow road....I got called out to help...managed to limp the thing over a bit to free up the road :oops:

Turbo - I dunno, being a keen owner I've already changed (for maintenance sake) the Turbo Control Valve (TCV) and a non-return valve which is part of the breathing system. I'd read that these two bits lead to low boostage but no fault codes (the ECU doesn't 'see' it) so I changed them as a safeguard, it's possible that the new TCV has crapped out but I guess, bit unlikely, but I'll shove the old one back on to check. Changing that little beauty appears at first to be impossible for human hands it is an ABSOLUTE PIG and with cold hands eleventy time worse :cry:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

French motors always used to have a lot of suspension travel, I remember how much the R16's used to lean on bends. They never went anywhere though. Then I thought French manufacturers have acceded to modern prejudice and were producing suspension set ups similar to the majority now (more's the pity). Anyway, it's not just French cars that break springs, it seems to be happening to everything.

Turbot control valve? Is this a wastegate by another name or something spectacularly overcomplicated, electronic and unnecessary?

Good luck with the grovelling about in the wet :(

trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

steve_earwig wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:01 am Oh lordy :( What is it with modern springs though? I'm sure I can't remember ever hearing of coil springs breaking in olden times, ....

Yes, thinking back to the '70's..., I can't recall broken springs being mentioned at all. Engine rebuilds at 70,000 miles, decarbonisations etc..., but not cracked springs.

A front spring on my project MX5 cracked on me the first time I took it for a test drive after I'd made it legal.
Front spring on a neighbour's VW Polo let go ....

As you say, I think it's partly the business of making things lighter to cut weight, emmisions etc.
But I also read somewhere that it's to do with how modern springs are manufactured.

The traditional way of making springs was that each end of a spring would be chamfered so that the end would lie almost
flat against the next coil up. In the interest of cost reduction, nowadays springs don't have that chamfer.
The end of the spring sit's hard against the next coil up, and after some years, with the addition of corrosion, the stress point lets go.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

In my BMW it was the shocks that did the spring in. The shocks had failed, so the springs were the only thing really providing much support. The spring snapped about half-way up. The guy said that if it was corrosion that got the spring, it would have snapped much lower down, where the spring is more exposed to salt and grit.

The front shocks and springs were the original units fitted to the car in Dingolfing in 2008, and the car had done over 150,000 miles since then, so they were probably due a refresh anyway.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: Buggering bugger ffs

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Welly wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:20 am Front spring snapped on the C4 yesterday slicing the tyre wide open like an orange peel, all at parking speed, you could see right inside the tyre went with a "massive bang" according to Mrs_Welly :shock:

Spring jammed against the wheel and dropped on one corner by a good 6" it had to be 'skated' onto the recovery truck and it's now in the garage next to my work looking sorry for itself.

Garage has had 3 cars in this week with snapped springs; blaming the cold weather and cheap crappy steel....

On top of this my lovely Volvo after 10 years of impeccable service has spat the dummy out and cut turbo boost to virtually zero with no fault codes showing so that's going to be a magical mystery tour of fault finding, testing, poking about, swearing and anxiety.

Cars this week can FRO :frown:

I would have said what my M.O.T man say's that it's down to the pig tail springs that are so common place on modern cars

But we have a 12 plate VW T5 transporter at work & the spring in the drivers door check strap has snapped :shock:
It's not high millage & it's a piece of 10mm diameter spring steel, similar to a coil spring

So I would agree with crappy quality steel :(
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Welly

Post by Welly »

The recovery operative said "it's them Chinese springs".

Chinese?

I think you'll find they will be exquisitely crafted and lovingly tested in the finest of French Workshops!

"Chi----nese" honestly...some people :roll:
Cars in my care:
Welly

Post by Welly »

Because I'm a nice customer I told my Garage next door at work that they can keep the Shitrun and work on it as and when it suited them because they were very busy when I dropped this on them, and we've got the Twingo to use at home anyway.

Costs are trickling in so far:

New Coil Spring = £22.00 each :lol:
Tyre = £79.00 (lingpoo ditchfinder star max special sunshine grip)

Really need a tyre on the other side to match as that's nearly on the limit so will get that done.

Labour = dunno yet, I don't like to pry.....
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I've found that to be a mistake here, if I tell them I'm in no rush then nothing ever gets done. I told the guy fixing the Yamaha that and he's had it for almost 6 months :roll: Now I find he's got divorced in the mean time and doesn't actually seem to have done anything to it since he took it apart last autumn :( Currently not sure if he'll be back on it soon or if I need to rescue it :evil: I even tried to get Goran on the case, he said he'd get hold of the guy and phone me back in 10 minutes. A month ago. Good job I'm not sentimentally attached to it or anything...
Welly wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:16 pm Really need a tyre on the other side to match as that's nearly on the limit so will get that done.
So the tyre that got sproinked can't have been much cop either, that's not how it usually works...

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Welly wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:16 pm
Tyre = £79.00 (lingpoo ditchfinder star max special sunshine grip)
:lol: love it.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:59 pm I've found that to be a mistake here, if I tell them I'm in no rush then nothing ever gets done.
Space in there is at a premium i.e. he has to move the car every day to do other stuff, he will tire of that very quickly, TBF he's got one side done already, the other side should be today/tomorrow.

steve_earwig wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:59 pmSo the tyre that got sproinked can't have been much cop either, that's not how it usually works...
Actually yeah the tyre was nearly kippered anyway, was an advisory on September's MOT :oops: sh*t I forgot to photograph it yesterday, it was ripped open almost entirely around the inner sidewall the tyre operatives were like "bloody hell that's a good'un" :shock:
Cars in my care:
Welly

Post by Welly »

Tyres = £158.00

New Coil Springs (Pair) = £180.00

Total = £338.00
Cars in my care: