I appear to have taken leave of my senses!

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

I appear to have taken leave of my senses!

Post by steve_earwig »

Ok, so which car was it I said I'd never buy another one of? Well, actually, it was nothing Japanese, and definitely not another RAV. So this morning I put a deposit down on a late 2008 RAV4 Automatic. I must be out of my mind Image

Now, before I hand back my forum keys, let me try to explain this, erm, choice. As I've talked about ad nausium, the reason I bought the RAV in the first place is to get the wife driving, short and tall was the request* and this seemed to git the bill. Unfortunately she never has driven the damn thing, I've been driving it myself though as it suits my back and the mere fact that I don't really care about it makes life a tad easier (unlike the Pug, which I'm loathe to take anywhere in case some arse damages it again.)

So a few months back I asked her what it would take to get her driving. last year she spent a fair amount of time with my family in GB and they're all driving automatics and the reckons that this would make it easier foe her to drive as it's a great deal less to think about. I quite like automatics myself. Also, while I would enjoy the experience of driving the RAV until it's dead, I'm well aware that I would be expected to fix it again, regardless of cost. So I've been keeping an eye out.

I've also been trying to expand my search to other makes as Croatia is quite a small market and automatic RAVs are few and far between. Unfortunatly between my back and the "must be shorter than an X-Trail" constraints all I've been managing to do is cross cars off the list. I was going to look at a Tiguan today, even though they're the same length as a, X-Trail I figured the less boxy shape might make one more acceptable.

And then this RAV came up at a dealer's in Zagreb. I'd link to the ad but it already seems to have been taken down (the guy did say he'd have a lot of calls on it but I just thought that was blether).

I took a few pics but I was expecting to be able to link to the ad. Ah well.

I think the colour is maybe chapaigne. Pff, it's glod as far as I'm concerned.

I could see one dent on it in the ad:
but IRL it has quite a few small dings in it, rather like.. oh my :shock:

I quite enjoyed this one:
Yeah, they work well don't they? :roll:

It's advertised at a 2009 but I knew it wasn't as they gave them a facelift in 2008, although I'd be willing to accept the usual "Coatia as dumping ground for all out of date stock" thing. I checked the VIN out and it's October 2008. It's still a deal cheaper than the other 3 advertised (all down the other end of the country) and the newest of them is a 2007. 10,800€, which coincidentally is exactly what I paid for the old one although this one has also done substantially fewer miles* (86,000km I think it was.)

I've told the wife that if she doesn't drive it I'm taking it up into the mountains and pushing it off a cliff.

Oh, the shame, the shame. At least it's not a VW.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: I appear to have taken leave of my senses!

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote:I appear to have taken leave of my senses!
Nonsense Steve, you're the most rational of all of us, aren't you?
Let's see:
- Have you bought another Toilet?
- Is it flushmatic?
- Are you teaching you wife to drive?

On second thoughts, you may have a point. :?

Joking aside, it looks really smart and if it get's your good lady independently mobile it'll be worth it.

Hang onto the forum keys for now. :wink:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

Steve,i think these RAVS look quite good,even the color is good,and thats coming from one french lover :cheesy:
I hope you did negotiate about the price,i dont belive there were much calls about an automatic car here.

Did you sell 406 or?
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I really hate haggling, previous experience is of me missing out and kicking myself for months afterwards. Anyway, if it wasn't already cheap I wouldn't have been looking at it. Besides, he knocked himself down by 1,000Kn while we were doing the currency conversions.

I think all the RAVs are horrible but at least on this one they've lost the weird-shaped wheel arches. For a long time I had a hankering for a Forrester but the latest ones look far too much like a RAV4 IMHO.
Doggy wrote:Nonsense Steve, you're the most rational of all of us, aren't you?
What, me rational? I think not! :shock:

Twife can drive, she passed her test about 20 years ago (in a fićo) but she just doesn't, which is a stupid state of affairs as there are times when I can't drive (migraine, bad back etc.) so all plans end up revolving around my state of health. A couple of years back I managed to get some tile glaze in my eye, there's no way an ambulance is coming out for that so I ended up driving us to the hostable in Zagreb with seriously impaired vision. Similarly, when I had all that trouble with my back and couldn't even get in the Pug we had to get her cousin to drive me to the clinic.

It would be good if I can get her to a stage where she can jump in the car to go see her friends, go shopping or whatever but I'll settle for just not being completely terrified by the idea of going down the road to the baker's.
Ares wrote:Did you sell 406 or?
I, er, sold a house :supafrisk: The old RAV will have to go, tehnički expires in 2 weeks so I'll get it through that and see if I can get shot of the damn thing. Setting fire to it would, of course, be most enjoyable, but it'd leave a big mess to clear up.

If I can get twife driving then I should really see about selling the 406,and then getting something more sensible than a RAV that I can get in and out of without any issues (leaning towards a C-Crosser maybe, or perhaps super useful like a Jumper)

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Tomorrow's the day, I'm usually excited when I buy a car but meh, who cares?

We've just been to the bank for the dosh, 85,000 kunaroonies (we'll need 79,000 for the car but there will be tax on top of that :( thieving arseholes). We ordered it in big bills yesterday and they said after 10 today would be fine but we were there well after 10 and... no big notes, so it's all in 200s. That's (umm) 450 of them, you could get a good fire going with that lot. When we left twife's handbag looked like it was about to explode.

PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I must be getting old, I used to change my car two or three times a year in my youth, I keep them for five or so now or until they fall apart. :frown:

Peter
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah, but you aren't bent over by the tax man every time you buy a car.

PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I pay about as much for my cars as the average repair costs. :D

Peter
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Better the devil you know* and all that :)

Lets hope the Check Engine Light stays asleep on this one. It looks good from where I'm sitting; which is handy as I'm sitting down in a sewer shoveling sh*t with a desert spoon so everything else looks fuckin ace :cheesy:

Only kidding :supafrisk:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

There are many more things to go wrong on this one, let me tell you. And I'm back to the same old "I'm sure the gearchange is getting rather jerky" paranoia of previous, if far cheaper, automatics.

I'd post some pics but, meh. I've worked out that I bought the old one, high mileage, full of dents, at 7 years old for 10,800€ and I've bought this one, low mileage, not so full of dents, at 7 years old for 10,800€. Although, with the currency conversions, the old one cost about 9 grand (ouch!) while this one cost 7.5.

Faults so far: The parking sensors are fubar (well, who'd have thought it?). I've not had a car with them before, they might be good for twife so I'll get them going again. Not being sure if Toyoyo will sell just a sensor, I've checked the price out of the whole lot (how much?!!) and ordered a set off ebay for 13 quid.

The passenger seat senses what sort of passenger I have but I'm not sure if it's working because it says "asult" even when the seat is empty. The old one couldn't tell if there was a passenger or not either, so I guess it's a Toyoyo thing. I'd read the handbook but it's massive and in Croatian and I can't find one in English because they only go back to 2012 on Toyoyo.uk.

Umm, that's it, so far...

Main annoyance: Having to stick it in park before I can pull the key out. Why? It has a handbrake too you know :frown:

It's not due a service until 90,000km but I'd quite like to change all the transmission fluids at the same time, especially the gearbox. I can't actually find when or if the gearbox needs an oilchange, googling about it's either every oilchange, every other oilchange or, erm, 90,000km.

Last up, I noticed there's a great deal of paint on the bumper that'll get damaged by dogs going in and out so I was looking to see if Mr. T does a cover and, well yes, he does, and it'd neatly cover all that damage over the parking sensor too.

Welly

Post by Welly »

Definitely get the slushmatic fluid changed, and asap. Also consider the read diff fluid and any transfer box fluid as these don't ever get done either.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

It has service tickets under the bonnet, I should really look at them. Oh yes, full kit and kaboodle. I'm expecting it to be as expensive as the other one, if not more. Fluid change in the gearbox is less than half the total, so I reckon it's pretty vital.

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

The tickets say the transmission oil/fluid/pig's pee was changed at 25k, nothing after that.

At the last service at 84k, as well as the usual gubbins, the cabin filter, plugs (that'll save some cash!) and brake fluid were changed, plus there's a note to say to change the pads in 5k. Umm, it's not far short of that now I think.

Allegedly it's had oil changes every 15,000km. It'll get them at 10k now. Until I start to hate it of course.

Welly

Post by Welly »

Sounds like its been well looked after to be fair.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I think it may well have been. Today I have been to the Toyoyo dealership where it's been looked after all it's life and got a complete printout of it's service, maintenance and repair history. So much for the "one careful lady owner who's only selling it because she's getting a company car" codswallop from the dealer (which I took with a pinch of salt anyway) it was a company car, owned by Garilović (who make sausages, amongst other things) and driven by a guy called Damir. I've scanned it all for future reference but it's probably not worth attaching it as it's 5 pages of Croatian. Anyway, highlights are: needing a new rear bumper in 2010 (not too good with that was he), some repairs to the gearbox in 2012 (what the smeg is an underdrive?), diff oil changes at 25kkm (first service), 42kkm and 84kkm and the fact that the oil in the gear and transfer boxes have NEVER been changed :shock: Ah well, they will be next week :supafrisk: