Ebay Etc. Just "Run-In" 406s

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Ebay Etc. Just "Run-In" 406s

Post by PeterN »

I think that's largely due to those stupid low profile tyres that some people think look good but give a terrible ride and 'tramline', also break when you run over a tree branch.

Peter
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Blimey, it's been a while since anything went in here :shock: :(

Anyone need a 7-seater? At least I think it's a 7-seater...

2001 2.0 petrol LX, full pointless service history 45,000 miles, 1,500 quid

Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Yup, you can make out the rear seatbelts, and the rear seat is a bench seat for extra strength if you crash with kiddies in the boot, not that that bothered me when I fitted the 7 seat conversation to a standard estate :cheesy:
Nice colour, quite popular I believe.. :wink:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

Paintwork on the bonnet looks bolloxed
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

It's maybe just be the way the light is reflecting off it in the first pic, but as Kelv say's it's a very popular colour so another bonnet should be possible.

I'd have another 406 in a heartbeat if I thought there was any prospect of a tidy 2.2 exec with a few years in front of it.

Anyways, how about an 02 poverty spec 2.0 diesel with 65k? A steal at £1750 - don't hang about....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Peugeot ... SwBaxdH33X

2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I was thinking that was dappled shade from being parked under a tree. Or maybe it's why they parked it under a tree :roll:

Notice the specs for that povvo spec (pump up the base!) dizzler doesn't mention the power output anywhere :lol: I'm just wondering why ebay didn't send it my way, I should get anything under 100k :frown:

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Here comes a... 1999 V6 SE Toupe AuToMaTiC :roll: wiv a gnat's willy under 36,000 miles, 2,750 smackers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183926196278?ul_noapp=true

Oh, and that low miler estate with the iffy bonnet is back again. I guess it's not shadows after all...

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I'm watching this with interest* as I find it hard to justify that price for a slushmatic that needs a cambelt....
It is clean though, and only £2,600 more than my Coupe cost... :roll:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

My 'bargain' low mileage estate I bought earlier on in the year has gone on now, head gasket leaking and I don't have the desire or stamina to do it now, mind you I still sold it for more than I paid for it to a local chap who was prepared to take it as it was, it was that good he though it worth spending the money on.

It has been using a little water since I had it but had but had never got round to investigating it until a couple of weeks ago, it still drives fine but if you take the filler cap off there is a stream of bubbles. We have now take our '51 plate GLX out of retirement and at 220k it still drives beautifully.

I have been looking for a really comfortable riding car but such things no longer seem desirable it would seem by the bone shaking ride of most modern cars, 406 excepted, I have a last found one. I had hydropnumatic Citroens for about 30 years but didn't reckon much the the early C5's so I went over to 406's. I had a ride in a later C5 the X7, the one that was supposed to be German engineered if you remember the ads, I was astonished that I had at last found a modern car with a supple ride, and .... it doesn't even have hydropnumatics, runs on steel springs, so I bought one, a 2008 estate, it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it and it's so quiet, streets ahead of the Merc I had and a fraction of the price new.

Peter
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

That's good that you like the C5 Peter, I take it it's a Dizzler?

There's definitely something about a comfy car, I remember clearly that ladies really liked my 406 and remarked on its comfort.

By comparison my Volvo's ride is HARD, especially at low speeds it's almost comical.

Our C4 is pretty comfy to be fair, but by no means a flying carpet....
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I tried all sorts of cars that were supposed to ride well Welly - none of them did but this one really blew me away and its dark metallic red, my favourite colour. Yes its an oiler, 2.0 16v a bit of an unknown engine to me but its only done just over 100k miles and the engine bay looks like new, as does most of the rest of it. Around 60 mpg + with my gentle driving and soooo quiet.

My old and until now utterly reliable 406 is back on the road again but the wife came in from shopping yesterday complaining that the brakes weren't very good, a bit of an understatement, the servo isn't working! Having noted the difficulty of obtaining one, if it is that of course, I'm very pleased that I still have my original car in the field, so hopefully should be able to get whatever I need from that.

I notice there are quite a few used servo's on ebay from Lithuania, need to be RHD though.

Peter
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

PeterN wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:26 am I tried all sorts of cars that were supposed to ride well Welly - none of them did but this one really blew me away and its dark metallic red, my favourite colour. Yes its an oiler, 2.0 16v a bit of an unknown engine to me but its only done just over 100k miles and the engine bay looks like new, as does most of the rest of it. Around 60 mpg + with my gentle driving and soooo quiet.

My old and until now utterly reliable 406 is back on the road again but the wife came in from shopping yesterday complaining that the brakes weren't very good, a bit of an understatement, the servo isn't working! Having noted the difficulty of obtaining one, if it is that of course, I'm very pleased that I still have my original car in the field, so hopefully should be able to get whatever I need from that.

I notice there are quite a few used servo's on ebay from Lithuania, need to be RHD though.

Peter

The Merc consigned to the field... ?
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

No, the Merc has gone, the MOT was nearly up and it was probably going to cost me as much to get it through as it was worth, and after driving the C5 I wasn't bothered about the Merc any more, the only thing I miss about it is the terrific low down grunt it had, you rarely needed to change gear, but otherwise its rubbish compared to the C5

The bloke I bought the C5 from offered me 200.00 pounds for it but ripped me off, my fault really as I made the bank transfer for the full amount so he said he would tax it for me, but he didn't, the tax was the same amount. Can't get hold of him now of course. I'm not really bothered though because I was prepared to pay more than that for the car, it went for less money than he was expecting on Ebay - and me!. I think he was trying to recoup some of his loss.

Anyway, I left the Merc there which didn't sadden me in the least.

The 406 seems to have healed up, I think the brake fairy must have come during the night because I went to move it yesterday morning and the brakes worked perfectly, so at least it doesn't seem to be servo failure I'm pleased to say, although I do have one on the old silver car in the field. I can't imagine what caused it so I have told the wife just to be careful.

Peter
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Peter,

With regard to your brake servo issue, I had the same thing a coupe of years ago.
Turned out it was the rubber seal that the 90° plastic elbow that connects the vacuum line to it was leaking.

A new kit from Peugeot & it's good as new :)

ps: it's been discussed on the forum a bit over the years.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Thanks for that, I will check it.

Peter