Cars scrapped during the scrappage scheme

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Cars scrapped during the scrappage scheme

Post by FarmerPug »

This makes interesting reading, its the list of all the cars scrapped during the scrappage scheme:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... sv/preview

Some good cars disappeared, looking through the list there was about 24 305s scrapped, one being an automatic, there was also a large amount of 405s in the list which does a good job of explaining why they are so rare now.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Cars scrapped during the scrappage scheme

Post by GingerMagic »

I was reading this earlier on the Coupe Forum - there are some lovely classics and very rare cars scrapped now, all for the sake of spending £5000 on a bland little car, just to save £100 per year on tax.......

Heart-breaking really.... :cry:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

GingerMagic wrote:all for the sake of spending £5000 on a bland little car, just to save £100 per year on tax.......

Heart-breaking really.... :cry:
Exactly, in 2009 the car industry was on its knees, funny how this little scheme came about at the same time :roll:

My FIL traded in (not scrapped) a perfectly serviceable low-mileage Shitroen Pickarsehole with a 2.0 pez engine to get some hugely complex 1.6 dizzler at-great-cost because it was "cheap to Tax" what the actual f*ck? I couldn't be arsed to explain about depreciation and the real cost. I guess 75% of car buyers don't really understand?

Anyway, back to that list, and some of my spots:

Audi A3 = 310 :shock:
Audi A4 = 1007 :P
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

A neighbour scrapped a perfectly good car in order to buy a new car. Never had a day when the old car was off the road as her brother worked in a dealership and did all the repairs for her at weekends and evenings. New car spent half the first year in the dealers as it developed a number of faults where all they did was throw bits at it. After about eighteen months, she sold the car and bought another older one with a proven history. All in all, it would have saved her thousands to have kept the old one.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

The list is nuts. As I pointed out on the Coupe Club forum, one of the cars scrapped was a Morgan 4/4 - you'd have to be a complete idiot to scrap a Morgan 4/4 just to get £2,000 off a new anything - especially a Morgan 4/4 with a valid MOT certificate, as ALL cars in this list NEEDED to have in order to qualify.

Morgan 4/4s go for anywhere between £18,000 and £40,000 used, seemingly regardless of age - they are hugely desirable sports cars. You could sell one of those at anywhere between the low and high end values, and then pay for your new car in cash (or at least, put down a HELL of a deposit for something more awesome).

From my post on the Coupe Club forums:
I wrote:On that list, there are 1,445x Peugeot 406s. Of which, I can positively identify 47 as being Coupes.

Also on the list are some rather nice "premium brand" sports cars - stuff like a Morgan 4/4 Convertible, several Porsche 924, 928, and 944s, a Ford Mustang, a Chevrolet Corvette, and a Chevrolet Camaro.

There are some classics, like 30-ish Peugeot 205 GTis, 60-ish VW Corrados, a number of Ford Capris, a few Mazda MX-3s, three Nissan Skylines (one of which was a GT-R), five Triumph Stags, a Triumph Spitfire, an Austin Healey Sprite, around 80x Morris Minors...

... and most people who took advantage of this offer bought themselves a Hyundai. 47,000 of them. Of which, 26,000 were i10s.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Did these cars actually go on the bridge of weighs..

Or go in metal boxes and posted off to warmer country's..
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Hyundai's UK’s managing director, said: “For many it is an opportunity to buy their first-ever new car and it is enormously exciting.
Enormously exciting? whipping out your balls and lowering them into a Kenwood food blender going full-chat would be enormously exciting but I couldn't recommend doing it. Or buying a Hyundai.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I love this bit from that article:
“But their sadness disappears when they get into their new Hyundai.”
Oh yes, I can just imagine people feeling so pleased with themselves for trading in a classic car for something with all the charm and character of a plastic dog turd.

In fact, I have a rusty lawnmower here with 3 wheels and a leaky fuel tank but I'd still rather keep it than trade it in for a Hiundie.

But, on the plus side, 899 Toyota RAV4s were scrapped. Oh, and 4470 Hahundais too, excellent.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

It won't be long before the cars which were scrapped will be worth more than the new and exciting replacement car.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Good point! I'd imagine with some of those Hunspellables it'll happen the moment they get off the forecourt.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

I used to go up to Thurleigh aerodrome some years ago when I worked for a company moving Daewoos. I was told it was used to store the cars traded in on the scrappage scheme. I have just checked the satellite view on Google Maps, and it looks as if Daewoo are back there, but it was a lot more crowded when full of 'scrappage' cars.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

---
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Waxman
2.0 16v

Post by Waxman »

All these cars ended up in the airfields in Thurleigh. - Whilst on site with another company they showed me the airfields where these cars were lined up - devoid of registration plates, 10's of thousands of them just parked up.

This was in 2010 - presume afterwards they were methodically square boxed and now used for baked bean tins.

:(
The Rubble Shifter: 2.0 HDi 110 GTX 406 Estate, Tuning Box, K&N Filters.
Thunderbird 4: Mercedes AMG E55, Full Decat & Res Delete.
*New Addition* The Roller Skate: VW Polo GTi
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

I heard that the majority went to China as cubes in containers. However, that could just have been a 'motor trade rumour' of the day.
1998 2.1 GLX TD