Heater Matrix

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Heater Matrix

Post by jasper5 »

Yeah, car was unused for 14 months, but I've done a good few miles in it since i got it on the road.

I'm using it again tomorrow so I'll have another look (smell) of it.
jokubelis

Post by jokubelis »

I have same experience, my pug was left without antifreeze for a couple of months. After refill it started to leak a little bit on carpet.
But after two or three month leaking has stopped....
dirtydirtydiesel wrote:I have found through experiance that they don't like being left standing unused :roll: ,
The o-rings on the pipes dry out & perish & when you start using the car again & the pressure builds up & hey presto they start to leak :frown: .
I.I.R.C Jasper this car had been staning for a while before you revived it :roll: .
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I wonder would a bit of stop leak cure a leaky heater matrix, the stuff works quite well on radiators and head gaskets.

Taking the heater matrix out isn't too bad, although i drilled into the dash if you had a torx shaped allen key it would get the screw off without drilling.

If you don't want to drill a hole in the dash here is how to remove it:
4nf4fNQ3hKM
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Another of your superb videos, thanks very much for both of them showing heater matrix and dash removal :D

Thankfully I have a set of torx allen keys plus other small scale torx bits should I decide to remove the matrix, it was a bit smelly yesterday when I was out in it...nothing leaking under the bonnet...maybe I'll pull out the glove box and have a look. Looking at the screws that hold the glove box in they may well have been removed previously.

Coolant level is almost at full.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Good news so far :D

I've had a look but can't can't see any leak, just done a run through town to docs and no smell of coolant, so, we'll see how it goes....for the moment all is well, car drove lovely :D
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Glad to hear that jasper :cheesy: ,
Let's hope that's the last of it :wink: .
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
ally406
2.0 Turbo

Post by ally406 »

Jasper, what brand of matrix did you go for?

I ordered a "Nissens" matrix from an ebay seller, and an "AVA" one turned up which is junk, not to mentioned damaged, and without the correct O rings. I'd already removed the old one at this point.

I tried to refit the original but the O rings are shagged.

I'd happily fork out for a Valeo if I could find one. I drove 20 miles to work today in -2 conditions with no heater, horrendous.
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD, 316k, down for full rebuild with custom rods, TD04 and a stack of welding.
'95 Peugeot 405 1.6 GLX with XU10J4RS conversion @ 195bhp.
'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 111k.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Hi, I didn't actually replace the heater matrix yet as the symptoms disappeared after a 20 mile run, I'm keeping an eye on things for a little while longer.

The Nissens ones are very good, I've bought quite a few Nissens radiators and have not had a single problem, the price is good too!

Valeo is obviously the top make.

Have you tried Andrew Page?
ally406
2.0 Turbo

Post by ally406 »

Thanks Jasper, I have (hopefully) sourced a Nissens with delivery tomorrow. In the meantime I have run down to the local car shop and bought a 12v heater!
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD, 316k, down for full rebuild with custom rods, TD04 and a stack of welding.
'95 Peugeot 405 1.6 GLX with XU10J4RS conversion @ 195bhp.
'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 111k.
Anthi

Post by Anthi »

steve_earwig wrote:That's a bit mad, equipping cars in countries where you'll never need them with heaters. Still, there's always a chance you'll go mad and drive up to the Arctic circle :shock:

Looking at Frank's (brilliant) vid there I do remember seeing in Haynes that you might have to saw off some plastic, I didn't realise it was part of the dash though :roll:

I too have a borescope 8) There have been so many times in my life when I thought it would be something I could use (looking inside box sections, behind wall panels without having to remove them etc.) however... I've had it for 3 years and, apart from looking at my fillings in order to test it, I've never used it for anything serious :oops: Ah well, it was an ebay cheapy, it's got no screen (them's the expensive ones) so it goes into the laptop on USB.

Hi!

I stumbled on this forum when i was making a google search as i was looking for information about my 406 HDi Estates leaking heater matrix. It seems to be actually the o-ring seal at the heater matrix-end of the coolant inlet pipe... :cry:

I just had to register on this awesome forum to say, that i have a 406 Hdi here in Finland, 200 km above the arctic circle. Yesterday the weather was excellent for that lovely piece of Egyptian- made Peugeot. Temperature dropped to -40 Celsius.

Coolant leakage on the floor is a bit annoying..
:lol: