We all love 406's but what do you hate about them?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Take newish rear disks from D8 to put on D9, take warped disks from D9 and shove back on D8 without touching anything or worrying about old pads, turn adjusters 'til brakes lock, back off a bit without caring much. Feel surprise when handbrake LOCKS the wheels at two clicks... :shock:

I still wanna know what's wrong with torx!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh yeah, only one ignition key that actually works. Cheapskates.

Eric
2.0 Turbo

Post by Eric »

steve_earwig wrote:Take newish rear disks from D8 to put on D9, take warped disks from D9 and shove back on D8 without touching anything or worrying about old pads, turn adjusters 'til brakes lock, back off a bit without caring much. Feel surprise when handbrake LOCKS the wheels at two clicks... :shock:

I still wanna know what's wrong with torx!
Torx is crap on cars.
Not everyone has torx screwdrivers and when used on the brakes (Shame on you 306GTi-6!) the weild up with the crap and heat then will round off if you even touch them.
Torx may give good surface area to prevent the bit or screwdriver slipping out and allow high torque applications but will round off very easily due to the weaker more fiddly cut.
dado
1.8 8v

Post by dado »

An another thing i hate about D9s is the daft sidelight capless bulb holder when you is replacing your lights with fab Xenon bulbs and you are replacing side lights with blue colour capless free gift bulbs one of the fn things springs out of holder and falls inside lense unit aghh :evil:
No mr bond i expect you to die !
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Eric wrote:Torx is crap on cars.
Not everyone has torx screwdrivers and when used on the brakes (Shame on you 306GTi-6!) the weild up with the crap and heat then will round off if you even touch them.
Torx may give good surface area to prevent the bit or screwdriver slipping out and allow high torque applications but will round off very easily due to the weaker more fiddly cut.
I seem to have loads of the buggers, every box of small socket bits I've bought for years seems to have a load. I have one set of 6 torx bits which seems to do everything on the Pugs too.

I've had no prolems with them at all but as I've said before, where I live they don't rush out and shovel millions of tonnes of salt everywhere the moment it gets a bit fresh.

Deano
1.8 8v

Post by Deano »

no real problems in 5 years but the panels do dent easy
and it gets though tail pipes and tyres
me still very happy with her just past MOT again with no work needed :D
dizzy
1.6 8v

Re: We all love 406's but what do you hate about them?

Post by dizzy »

Mines done 214000 miles and the clutch is good. The gearbox is certainly better than my old 405, and the handbrake is excellent, however it has a lot of sideways movement :shock: .
Most annoying things for me are the poor electrics. Currently im driving home in the dark with just sidelights :shock: , the fact that the rear seatbelts are too close for childseats to fit in well and that the radio is so far down the console.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

dizzy wrote:Mines done 214000 miles and the clutch is good. The gearbox is certainly better than my old 405, and the handbrake is excellent, however it has a lot of sideways movement :shock:
lift up the centre console and check the welds and the nuts holding the base of the handbrake, i found on my car that the welds had failed and the nyloc nuts were loose, 5 mins of welding and 2 new nuts and its as good as new 8)
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
ed209
2.0 16v

Post by ed209 »

The paranoia that comes with owning a D9!!
I call her Starbug 1, because she's green with intergalactic milage!! I do love my D8 diesel.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I've thought of another hate:
  • Average MPG-o-meter :frown:

Have you noticed that when you reset the thing you can acheive a nice cruising high average MPG but AS SOON as you press a little more on the gas the computer punishes you instantly :roll: and just you try and get back to the previous reading :x it totally refuses to reward you for driving economically and prefers to down-mark your score for evAr even though you know you are driving above the MPG it states.

Welly
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Welton wrote:Have you noticed that when you reset the thing you can acheive a nice cruising high average MPG but AS SOON as you press a little more on the gas the computer punishes you instantly
Think you'll find that's how 1) averages and 2) car engines work... :P
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Smart arse!

I meant once you've balanced out at a nice steady average after a while. Trying to hold that high figure is difficult even when you are trying really hard it won't reward you.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

They're the only cars I've ever had where you can't just pull the wipers away from the screen when you're washing it. Is there a particular point to this or is it (as I suspect) just stupid?

TooT
3.0 24v

Post by TooT »

steve_earwig wrote:They're the only cars I've ever had where you can't just pull the wipers away from the screen when you're washing it. Is there a particular point to this or is it (as I suspect) just stupid?
Yes, good one. What an absolute bastard it was to change mine, took me bloody ages. It felt like a was going to either bend or snap off the arms. Stupid design :evil:
2006 207 GT THP 150
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Funnily enough, my bro says his Lemon's the same.

Incidently I've had an offer on the D8 - a 2006 Hiundie Gitz with a dent in the roof, plus 6,000 Eurines. Sounds good. Hold on, I have to give them 6,000, plus my D8. All together now: FARK OFF!!!!