Got me new Winter Boots on

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Got me new Winter Boots on

Post by Welly »

These are the Uniroyal MS Plus 66 Winter Tyres I gained from someone on the Volvo Forum for £260.00 (set of 4) all date stamped Week 40/2011 and all with 8mm tread.

Those 'Sipes' in the tread blocks go right down to the wear limiters (I stuck a credit card in one and it was the full depth of the tread block) each block is soft and the Sipes seem to flex or open up which must aid grip in the snow.
And just for Wiggy, the "Snowy Mountain".....

The car feels a bit squidgy now and needs more steering input (must be the soft compound) but they are very quiet, maybe a tiny rumbley at crawling pace but no noise otherwise. The do make a strange noise in the wet which I assume is the water being squished away from the treads.

Just waiting for it to snow now :lol:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Re: Got me new Winter Boots on

Post by niz406 »

Nice new shoes..... with the blizzards we get here they will save you a pretty penny. :lol:

I'm expecting at least 30 microns of snow soon!
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Dunno about snow but but we got 2 freezing weeks coming up from Sunday if the rumor mill is correct... wonder what they're like on ice? :lol:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Well done welly! I think you've gauranteed a snow-free winter, (I'm certain it would be if I bought some). :roll:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly wrote:Those 'Sipes' in the tread blocks...
Sipes? I've only heard them referred to as waffles before (rah rah rah). They do look a bit odd but they seem to be the most obvious feature of winter tyres. They're damn good at gripping small stones too :roll:

Even if it doesn't snow when the temperature drops below 7 degrees you'll be safer on them than summer tyres. *Wanders out to yoyo with camera...

I got a snowy mountain too :P

Why does it look like the sidewall is starting to perish? It's the first time I've had a close look at them and I can't find any 4 number date stamps on them (unless it's the 2 letter, 4 number one, in which case I need to bin the tyres in a hurry :frown: )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

I checked the numbers on mine earlier and i can't work out my rear tyres theres two lots of 3 didgit numbers on there with letters... I scribbled the numbers out and chose to forget all about it... Cheers for bringing it back up. :lol:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
Welly

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote: Even if it doesn't snow when the temperature drops below 7 degrees you'll be safer on them than summer tyres
I leave home early, about 06:00 am and am mostly the first* to venture out on whatever Ice/crap is on the roads, it's all quiet roads too (like I'd make the first tracks in the white stuff) so coupled with the fact I was *desperate* for two fronts anyway I went for the Winters. Time will tell if they serve me well :|

*I am the first out of my street, all my neigh-bores must have jobs that don't suck the very being out of you for little in return :cry:
Cars in my care:
impster
1.8 16v

Post by impster »

a few days ago I put kleber quadraxers on the front of mine - they're 'all season' tyres, but have the mountain and snowflake symbol as well. They are a compromise for sure, but with all the rain we get all year round, coupled with low temps over winter, I reckon they're a good compromise - especially since I no longer drive like Nikki Lauda.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Can I have some more Snow please?

What happened to it? it just vanished :frown:

Historically, we're bound to get some in February? aren't we? :(
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

We've still got plenty here, want me to send you some?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

I have michelin alpines on my C5 for the winter they are indeed awesome, oh and if you want some snow Welly we have plenty too, shall i box some up and send it over?
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!
Welly

Post by Welly »

Yes send some over, my car's all dressed up and nowhere to go :(
Cars in my care:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I've now coughed up for a second set of rims for my Volvo, cost me a couple of limbs but I think they were a bit of a bargain actually and while they're not as nice as the ones on there now they'll be awesome as winter wheels :supafrisk:

Hope to be able to afford tyres to put on them by October :oops: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly

Post by Welly »

Ooh, very nice, are they brand new/boxed/unused kinda thing?

What size are they?
Cars in my care:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Well the seller told me they're brand new but I'm not convinced, realistically though that's not important. The story goes that this type of wheel (Scotia) is supplied in a chrome finish but the punters don't like it so every time this garage gets a set they get them powder-coated in silver or grey. My guess is that they were supplied as standard on a car (probably a C30) and the buyer paid to "upgrade" the wheels, leaving the garage with a set of Scotias. But as I say whether they're used or not is immaterial, they're obviously freshly power coated in graphite grey and certainly haven't been on a car since so that's fine, there are a couple of small blemishes in the coating but who gives a crap? The whole set cost me about what you'd pay for a single wheel at the dealer and they're gonna get covered in brake dust and road salt anyway.

They're 7x17s, offset of 52.5 which is 2.5mm wider than the standard 17s on a V70, but still well within the envelope of the 8x18s with a 55mm offset that are on there now.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"