Fuel Prices falling?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: Fuel Prices falling?

Post by highlander »

Rolebama wrote:I have been told that the same thing is happening now. That Russia has upset USA, and this is their way of getting even
This current bout of petrol price plummeting is due to the OPEC cartel, and in particular, the Saudis

They're pissed off that America has gone self-sufficient for oil & gas (their shale gas "fracking" programmes have been hugely successful), so the USA isn't buying Saudi oil & gas. They're also pissed off that Russia has been so successful at selling its oil and gas to Europe/Eurasia - it's Russian gas that we get in the UK nowadays.

So the Saudis, who have TONS of cash lying around and HUGE reserves of oil and gas, and therefore can afford to do so, have ramped up production massively - thus flooding the market and radically devaluing oil and gas in the process. Their idea is to make Saudi oil so cheap that it's no longer economically viable for the USA and Europe to produce it locally, or buy it from anyone else other than the Saudis.

The knock-on effects are devastating - some other oil-producing nations (Nigeria in particular) have had to completely change their national budget because they won't have the oil revenue any more. There are hundreds of folk here (mostly onshore staff so far) in Aberdeen who are being laid off - both BP and Schlumberger have announced large staffing cuts. Investment in North Sea operations is dying fast. Share prices for oil companies has plummeted along with the oil price. Oil companies are freezing their budgets and cutting back on spend for all but essential operations. It's an economic disaster for countries that don't have the Saudi's massive cash reserves, and given the global economic downturn - which we're only just starting to get over - very few other countries have any cash reserves at all.

Unfortunately the gas market isn't as quick to react to price changes, so it'll be at least 6 months before the wholesale gas prices drop enough for even the Big 6 gas companies here in the UK to grudgingly lower their prices by much. I know E.ON have just announced a reduction, but it's tiny in comparison with the 40p+ reduction in pump petrol pricing that we've seen lately.

Yes, this is good for motorists and haulage firms - but there's a massive sting in the tail too. I'm all for lower petrol/diesel prices - but I'd rather it was done by reduction of fuel duty rather than by reduction of the wholesale oil price.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

That's pretty much my understanding of it: OPEC are miffed that they don't control the market any more, so they're driving the price down to put everyone else out of business.

Diesel still at 113.9 here.

Agree with Welly about squeeze on incomes. What peeves me is the massive difference between the lowest and highest paid people in a company, that directors are rewarded for failure because their remuneration is not dependent on the success of the business, and that the mininum wage is not rising fast enough.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Welly wrote:I had a significant pay rise in 2009 which made me buy (finance) the what-was-then a fairly new Volvo......my pay has not changed since then and I'm now back to square one and unable to buy anything else in the same way, I'm not complaining but it has shown me how quickly you can get left behind just in 5 years. I think my living (surviving) expenses have risen by £250.00 per month in the last 5 years.

I believe the additional squeeze on incomes came about during the recession and will likely stay around until all the 'Fat Cats' have filled themselves up again......like never.
As a result of the credit-crash of 2008, and the bank bail-outs, the real worth of the income for the average joe, and josephine, is down by approximately 10% since that date.

Directors etc, have continued to award themselves massive rises, while squeezing everyone below.

Really interesting programm on BBC 2 last night about the Super Rich and how middle income, and low income people have, in effect been screwed over the past years.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

CEO thoughts:

- The company is successful! I'm the leader of this company! I'll have a nice bonus, tyvm!
- Pay rises for my mates, they'll hate me if I don't give them
- Oh no, there's an economic downturn, better freeze wages for a couple years
- I'll ditch some non-essential workers right before Christmas, and I'll cut project budgets
- The economic downturn has flattened out, and the company has weathered the changes
- The company isn't bust! I'm still the leader of this company! I'll have a nice bonus, tyvm!
- The economy's growing? Better cancel the wage freeze. But I can't back-date the raise, it'll harm the stock price!
- Pay rises for my mates, they'll hate me if I don't give them
- The stock price is up? I'm the leader of this company, I must have made that happen! I'll have a nice bonus, tyvm!
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I was a company director for about 5 years. Ploughed my family's entire life savings into the company. Spent huge chunks of time taking home no pay at all and having sleepless nights about paying the staff and keeping the roof over my kids' heads. If you calculate my net earnings over those years they average out as by far the worst fiscal years of my entire working life. If my wife hadn't been working her ass off to support us we'd have lost everything.

So please don't say a blanket "directors" when you're actually referring to the CEOs and higher management of large companies. There are a huge number of company directors out there putting everything on the line to keep their dreams alive and try to build a better future for their families, and keep people in jobs. If you've got the bottle to do that and manage to make a success of it, you deserve every penny!
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I don't think the comments were directed at directors per se but at the well known companies who think nothing of ripping us off to pay their senior staff exorbitant bonuses.

I ran a radio and TV business for 50 years, doing as you did and ploughing any profit back into the business in the good times, but they didn't last, the TV trade pretty well came to an end before I was due to retire, so I built on a couple of ensuite bathrooms and we ran a bed and breakfast for over 10 years.

Our house is paid for and we have a small income to supplement our state pension but not everyone has been so lucky.

Peter
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

DaiRees wrote:I was a company director for about 5 years. Ploughed my family's entire life savings into the company. Spent huge chunks of time taking home no pay at all and having sleepless nights about paying the staff and keeping the roof over my kids' heads. If you calculate my net earnings over those years they average out as by far the worst fiscal years of my entire working life. If my wife hadn't been working her ass off to support us we'd have lost everything.

So please don't say a blanket "directors" when you're actually referring to the CEOs and higher management of large companies. There are a huge number of company directors out there putting everything on the line to keep their dreams alive and try to build a better future for their families, and keep people in jobs. If you've got the bottle to do that and manage to make a success of it, you deserve every penny!
:shock: No offence intended, Dai, as you guessed, it was more a pop at big-business financial sector CEOs
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

DaiRees wrote:I was a company director for about 5 years. Ploughed my family's entire life savings into the company. Spent huge chunks of time taking home no pay at all and having sleepless nights about paying the staff and keeping the roof over my kids' heads. If you calculate my net earnings over those years they average out as by far the worst fiscal years of my entire working life. If my wife hadn't been working her ass off to support us we'd have lost everything.
Sorry to hear that Dai, maybe it wasn't the right time. I've often thought about starting my own Contracting Company but it is fraught with risk and requires a *lot* of money to get going (about £70K) and to be honest I struggle to get enthusiastic about my career at the best of times so receiving a regular Salary suits me at the moment.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

highlander wrote: :shock: No offence intended, Dai, as you guessed, it was more a pop at big-business financial sector CEOs

None taken mate, it is a bit of a misconception though that because you're a director you must me raking it in. Had it said to me enough times lol, if only they knew eh? :roll:

Back on a steady wage at the moment (albeit a smaller one than I'd like :supafrisk: ), and the wife has a good job too so we're doing fine, much better than a lot of households I'm sure! Unfortunately it didn't work out for me and It cost me a big chunk of money that in retrospect I wish I'd done something else with. Won't be rushing into something like that again but I had to give it a go, if I hadn't I'd always be wondering.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Prices seem to have frozen in the cold :( no drops for a while, so much for the sub £1 a litre everyone was talking about.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

+1 only change I've noticed recently is a few of the pricier garages dropping a fraction.

Odd to be celebrating £5/gallon. :|
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

Doggy wrote:+1 only change I've noticed recently is a few of the pricier garages dropping a fraction.

Odd to be celebrating £5/gallon. :|
Especially when the yanks are down to a dollar summit a gallon according to the father in law (who lives in texas)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Maybe that price/taxation balancing thing has kicked in like what doggy said about, fuckers....
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

My heating oil has nearly halved in price in the last year and was still going down every day until a couple of days ago, its going up quite steeply now so I will have to order some. Maybe the price has stopped falling or it could just be the cold weather.

Peter
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

It went down 1p yesterday.
I asked the question in a petrol station on Monday "When are we going to see it under a quid then?"
I was told, ahh the thing is see butt the fuel you're buying now was purchased 6 months ago while it was still expensive.

My reply... Ah right butt so that's the bollocks your bosses are teaching you is it? :lol:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.