and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

So sorry for your further loss Steve, as Doggy said let's hope that's the last of it :(
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Thanks guys, again, it's good to know there are people that care.

Horrifically, I posted a picture on here back in November when we had 7 cats, now we only have 4. I'm still thinking we'd be better off with pet rocks. But there will be more cats, the locals are too stupid to do anything about it and, while they'll not replace the cats we've lost, they will be new friends with their own personalities and idiosyncrasies. Currently, along with Teatime, Charles, Camilla and Pickle, we also have a visiting cat I've called Annie (as in Little Orphan)
Do not adjust your set: she really is that fat.

I started feeding her last year as she looked so awful. She only came sporadically but it was nice to see her fur looking better. Then she turned up looking like she'd been mauled so I've put more effort into looking after her. I thought she was probably pregnant but no, she's just really fat. I've even had her to the vet's for an ultrasound because I didn't want our cat population doubling overnight. It looks like she's been sterilised but her belly is a mass of scars so it's hard to tell. Mirela thinks she's quite old as she's missing quite a few teeth. She still comes and goes but has recently discovered how soft our spare bed is...

Meanwhile, I've been keeping busy to stop myself dwelling on all the tragedies.
Handrail, freshly painted.
I wasn't going to bother but I kept being told it needs a handrail, so that's a scaffold pole I had laying about up at my gaff. The gap is because the joist sticks out a fair bit. I'd like to panel that upstairs wall at some point but that'll do it for now.

Next: Tidying up :(
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:43 pm
Only you could have a tin of expanding foam and a bottle of engine oil on your dining table :lol:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

:lol: And only you'd look for bizarre stuff in the background :P

Well, you know, just walked through the door from a spot of shopping...
Welly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:23 amengine oil
Bar & chain oil :P

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I used to use my bro's recommended 'environmentally friendly' waste engine oil, but since I did less chain sawing and a lot more oil changes I could never get rid of the stuff that way. Now I uses whatever's cheapest in 20/50 or thereabouts spec.

In other news I was puzzled as to why the C5 was always in economy mode and you couldn't open the windows until starting the engine.
Penny finally dropped yesterday & I swapped the battery for the one salvaged from the 406. Now it's perfect.
(If only I understood electrics). :oops:

I also attempted some Cistern dognostics. The Citroen Service equivalent of PP2000 flatly refused to 'talk' to the car.
Warily applying some Google-derived wisdom*, I tried PP2k, describing it as a 407, which kinda worked - it reported 'unknown ecu type' or something to that effect for every system, but did report presence or absence of faults in a believable manner. I'm guessing I may need to try Diagbox to overcome this - anybody have a view or relevant experience? Will it work with my ancient XP laptop?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Post by WillNZ »

I have Diagbox on an elderly IBM laptop running XP Pro and works fine. i am using version 7.57.

Did plug it into a shitroen xsara some time ago and it worked fine, diagnosed it and reset a couple of fault codes, but that is the only shitroen I have ever tried it on. Works fine on all the puggots I use it on.
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy:
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Thanks for the info 8)

I've found a selection of free downloads so I'll give it a whirl in the next few days.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I did use Lexia once on t'wifes Picasso - it was much harder to navigate than PP2K, but it was a semi mux...
Diagbox should work on XP :-)
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

I've used it once on a C4 Picasso with air suspension issues - that worked straight away, but the C5 just won't have it.

Diagbox it is then.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I think I saw that in a few moody PP2k ads, doesn't work on C5 and 307 I think it was. Good luck with the Diagbox.
Doggy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:51 pm I used to use my bro's recommended 'environmentally friendly' waste engine oil, but since I did less chain sawing and a lot more oil changes I could never get rid of the stuff that way. Now I uses whatever's cheapest in 20/50 or thereabouts spec.
I didn't realise you could just use old engine oil :oops: I was just using what they sold me with the chainsaw when I done bought it, Stihl B&C oil, but I couldn't get it to flow properly, if I blew in the tank with the other end of a vacuum it'd work a bit but then peter out. Then Max suggested using the bio stuff 'cos it's thinner and I also found the adjustment screw (see that tiny black dot underneath between the body and chain guard? :roll: ) so I tipped the old stuff out, put the bio in, wound the oiler to max and... it's pissing oil out. Weird.

More cat woes: Charlie came in subdued and in pain so he's just been to the vet's (8:30pm). I think this one's on me though, I had a nail on a tomato stick that I was using to pick stuff up when my back went, it just happened to be the one I grabbed the other day for escaped chicken herding duties and it seemed to have somehow fallen through the fence and was sticking out through the gate so maybe he caught that (slightly red under the spy glass but that might just be rust). 5mm hole in his shoulder, cleaned out with peroxide, iodine, antibiotics and something for the pain. Oh, and stick > bent up and in the bin. That could have been so much worse.

I will give Goran his welder back, er, soon :oops:

In other news, the televidiots were back again today, that's Saturday until silly o'clock in the morning, Monday and now today. It didn't bother me that much today though as I had a monging headache and spent most of the day drugged up in my pit. However when we went with Charlie I noticed they'd left a rather nice boom mike stand behind. It's now in my shed... :supafrisk:

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Strictly speaking you should use the proper oil, but if you're not running it hard and getting the bar & chain properly hot something like good old fashioned 20/50 is fine (and dirt cheap hereabouts). Old engine oil does make a mess of whatever it gets splattered on - in my case the brickwork. :oops:

Hoping diagbox is the answer - it clearly isn't a hardware or protocol problem if it'll talk to what I've misled it into thinking is a 407. It may have to wait for a bit as we're off to the US of A just before Easter and I have a pile of stuff to sort out for that little adventure.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I guess you're in Trumpland at the moment. I loved America the few times I was there (thinking unnecessary) but I don't suppose I'll ever make it back there now.

So, now Teatime (our one-eyed rescue cat of indeterminate age) seems a bit off colour and I've discovered a lump. It could just be a bite as he had a dingdong with the local hooligan the other night. Finger's crossed anyway, he's off to see Mirela tomorrow morning.

In less important news, YoyoII got serviced today, with new summer tyres shoved on

880 squirrels a piece (about 100 quid), No experience of Incontinentals but the reviews put them marginally better than the other rubbish available here. All dated this year, surprisingly.

Meanwhile, in the car park
Can you tell what it is yet? :shock:

Yes, it's a Sunbeam 1250. Apparently underneath is a "catastrophe". Nothing new there then :cry:

Next to it, which I didnt realise straight away, is Mika the mechanic's wife Marina's car
Holey crap, she's 5 month's pregnant! :shock: She's fine, even if the car aint, phew!

Garden-wise, I got sick of waiting for our neighbour with a JCB to bother to turn up, so I had a go at one of the stumps.

Well, a couple of goes to be honest...

And finally, have a Pickle.

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Still in the old world at the mo. (flight's Thurs lunchtime).
I had one set of Contis on the Xsara an age ago, lasted forever but turned damp roundabouts into skidpans. Kinda preyed for them to wear out, hopefully yours will be better.
Sunbeam 1250? That there's a Hillman Avenger, 1250 being the opposite end of the spectrum from the 1725 Holbay-engined Tiger probably makes it a pussy? Cool set of mirraz there bro.

I've heard various 'foolproof' methods for making stumps rot away, probably nonsense.
Last time I removed stump No. 1 by attaching a chain block between it and stump No. 2. 8)
Then tried the same trick with stump No.2 vs garden wall, with predictable results. :oops:

Cat looks fairly* relaxed.
archangel2
1.8 8v

Post by archangel2 »

drll holes and pour bleach and weed killer ........... NOT for rot !!!! but to prevent regrowth of tree
digging down and chopping roots only sure way to remove without JCB muscle............. in case of CONIFERS(which i detest) occasionally you get vertical TAP root pain in the ass !!!!!
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Having succeeded with the plum I've moved onto the apple. It's a pig, the roots all seem to criss-cross all over the place. I'll just have to keep digging away at it...
Doggy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:57 pm Then tried the same trick with stump No.2 vs garden wall, with predictable results. :oops:
Ditto, at my mate's gaff I was lodging at (some 30 years ago). I used a car jack tho, the stump was close enough. I got it out but the wall was never the same and fell over in a gale a few years later, flattening a black cab. Mate had moved on by then, fortunately :supafrisk:
Doggy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:57 pm I had one set of Contis on the Xsara an age ago, lasted forever but turned damp roundabouts into skidpans. Kinda preyed for them to wear out, hopefully yours will be better.
Me too! :shock: :shock: These seem quite soft but I don't suppose that means much.
Sunbeam 1250? That there's a Hillman Avenger, 1250 being the opposite end of the spectrum from the 1725 Holbay-engined Tiger probably makes it a pussy? Cool set of mirraz there bro.
Avenger in the UK, Plymouth Cricket in the US. The original flavours were 1250 and 1500, then up to 1300 and 1600 because (IIRC) the law changed, er, somehow, allowing a slight increase in capacity (everything was 1500 at time). Holbays were in the Hunter GLS, the Tigers were 1500 (and I think later 1600, the memory fades, should look at wiki really) mk 1's with bigger valves, hotter cam and 2x Webber DCOE's type 70 & 71 (I still have a pair at me dad's but I suspect they're pretty worthless now), Mk2's lost the bigger valves. Output was something like 98bhp.

Mk1 Tigers had a pair of them there mirrors, although I think that one's a copy.

In other news: I took Annie back to the vet's today because she just seems to be getting bigger and bigger and I was starting to worry she has a tumour or something. From above:
I thought she was probably pregnant but no, she's just really fat. I've even had her to the vet's for an ultrasound because I didn't want our cat population doubling overnight. It looks like she's been sterilised but her belly is a mass of scars so it's hard to tell.
When I got her out the carrier Mirela and Mateja immediately remarked how big she's got. Over on her back on the cushion for a shave, out with the ultrasound and...
Mirela wrote:I was wrong.

She gonna be a mummy :shock: :shock: :lol: