and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by steve_earwig »

...suffering :( I've stuffed up my back again. How did it happen? Was it carrying those big tubes about to make the stairs? Was it shifting heavy stuff up and down those stairs? Was it digging out tree stumps? Hell no, it was putting a tray of flowering plants in the back of the Yoyo :(

And I have a cold too.

I've just been up at my gaff to meet the insurance assessor 'cos the hurricane blew a load of shingles off my roof, it also blew down a tree but that can wait. Here it decapitated half my toms. I guess we should count ourselves lucky as elsewhere people lost entire roofs and cars got flattened by falling trees. Nobody got killed, thankfully.

On a happier note yesterday they kittens turned 4 weeks old. They're starting to get adventurous and are using (rather than eating :roll: ) the litter. Have a quick vid I made last night.
2MbxnPSNyqU
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Excellent!

Now, which one of these bowls is mine? :lol:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

...sorting out a window on the shed. As the weather's gone from wet and cold to bluddy hot and dry, I thought it was abut time I tackled the windows on the shed. I pulled the one this end out yesterday and started stripping it. Then this morning the forecast was thundrstorms - panic! Got it all stripped, repaired, stained, glass cleaned, reassembled and stuffed back in today, despite the 30+ degrees stupid. Job jobbed.

More importantly, the kittens are 7 weeks old today. We had them out on the back lawn Sunday - their world suddenly got a lot bigger :shock:

Grace:

Tippi:

Archie:

I did take some film but I can't be asked to edit and upload it. Pointless even thinking about it just now as there's a thunderstorm nearby and we're just on the mobile network as the phone line's OH.

Sadly their mum Annie is back in season, happens every 21 days apparently, so she's crying to go out night and day. T'wife has scheduled her for sterilisation Thursday morning, I'm not happy about it but Mirela, our vet, reckons it's for the best. Not sure what the kittens will think when I kidnap their mum and bring her back damaged.

In other news the yoyo had to have a new windscreen, a chip it picked up last year decided the time had come to start migrating up the screen so it had to go. What surprised me was the cost, ok it's a pattern screen but I was expecting a lot more than 810Kn (that's about a ton). Fitting was 300Kn but Darko also glued the front bumper on again while he had it in the workshop - not sure if I was charged for that, probably not as he only glued it on 6 months back.

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Now Steven stop it, stop it now :wink:

Those picys of the kittens are making me want another cat badly, very badly :?
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I suspect there are plenty of kittens looking for good homes.... All I know is I certainly couldn't afford to have 8 if I was still in the UK :shock:

The vid
5VinkEP6FSc
A bit shaky I'm afraid. And I really need to learn to shut up.

This is the window I was talking about
It used to be green and falling to bits. I'll leave the one the other end for now: the cherry tree next to it is full of cherries that are attracting hornets so I aint going near that :shock:

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Steve,

Love the vid, I'd forgotten just how wonderful kittens can be, our old boy was just that nineteen years young when
he passed away :(
He hadn't frolicked like that for at least fifteen years :wink:

Yeah no shortage of kittens, just we said no more for a while
Just doesn't feel right, yet.

Enjoy them mate. 8)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Welly

Post by Welly »

Like the Kitteh which jumped and stuck to that tree trunk...then did it again :lol:

Remember we babysat those kittens being born last summer? last week Mum Cat got squashed by a car, dead. Yesterday one of the Kittens* went the exact same way :(

Cats and busy roads don't mix well.

I live down a private road with only 4 houses so our cats mooch about like they own the road but we still occasionally get some utter botty rocket drive past at eleventy hundred mph, always makes me nervous of the cats.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

So the owners got a double tragedy, that's awful. I know just how they feel too, when we lost Srećko I said I wouldn't be getting any more cats, just rocks (yeah, as if).

There's something about cats and roads, they just don't understand how dangerous they are. And, no matter what you have behind our house, rolling fields, a forest, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, whatever, they just have to check out what's across the road in front.

This road is kind of a cul-de-sac, unless you've got good ground clearance, but there are quite a few houses further on and we also get the occasional ass hat who thinks it's a race track or something. To be fair though, if a cat jumps out from behind something, it's not going to matter how fast they're going - this happened to me once, a cat jumped over a garden wall and ran out straight under my car. I locked all the wheels up and I don't think I hit it, I had a good look for it too.

When I took Annie to the vet's Wednesday evening there was a beautiful big black and white tom (reminded me of the cat in the Felix ads), probably run over with a broken hind leg. The owners couldn't afford surgery though, so Mirela could only manipulate it back into place (they could afford anaesthetic obviously), immobilise it and hope for the best. I was so tempted... Can't save them all Steve :(

Obviously Annie's back from the vet's, she looked terrible yesterday but seems ok today. She's not waiving her bottom at me any more either!

In other news, I've not long got home but t'wife's had the kittens down here for a while and, while I was reading your post, Archie came and sat next to me - ahhh. Then my bottom started getting warm :shock: I guess they didn't figure out the litter tray down here yet and he was hoping I'd deal with it. Gee, thanks little guy :roll:

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

It's a bit quiet in here - is everybody having fun?

The kittens turned 8 weeks yesterday so the went for their first vaccination. T'wife joined me for once, there are loads of kittens there and I think she was worried I'd come home with more than I left with...

nYH5uOqXnnM

Sorry about the shakycam and the knee, I spent another 2 hours looking for my tripod this evening and I think I'm going to have to admit defeat and buy another one :(

trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Love it.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Not a cat person but watching this I kinda get it. :)

Has been a bit quiet on the forum of late.

Personally, I'm 4 weeks into retirement, which translates into grafting 2-3 days a week and decorating / diy for the remainder. :roll:
Current projects:
5 years+ worth of decorating / diy backlog. :oops:
Campervan service / trace & fix minor fuel leak
Fix the onboard generator, (cranks OK, ignition works, has compression, hoping some fresh fuel might do the trick).
Then replace the genny exhaust
Get trailer for towing car behind campervan....
which requires a towbar for the C5 so I can move the empty trailer about...
which seems to require a dedicated towbar wiring kit due to can bus wiring, parking sensors et al...
which requires a working Diagbox / Lexia setup to configure
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

They were doing that for hours, even Annie joined in at one point. This is that time when they're at their most active/playful/destructive. When they get to a year (so, only 10 months to go :shock: ) they'll settle down. If we're lucky we'll get companion cats (eg. Beanie), cuddly cats (Charles), kitchen dwellers (Teatime but almost starving to death will do that to you) or they'll just come for food (Camilla) but they're all be different, all have their own personalities, just like any member of the family.

Decorating, meh, I hate it, It's so disruptive. I can always think of 1,000 things I'd rather be doing.
Doggy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 pm trace & fix minor fuel leak
Roll it in flour? :supafrisk:

Actually, I forget, is the bus with you or is it still parked up somewhere in Yurup? That would be an almighty pain in the danglies.
Doggy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 pm Fix the onboard generator, (cranks OK, ignition works, has compression, hoping some fresh fuel might do the trick).
If it's been standing for any amount of time with modern fuel in the carb it's probably turned to crap. Pull float bowl and check for stinky gummy goop.

I presume the electronics have moved on a bit from the good old 406 but it'd be interesting to know just what you have to tamper with. Parking sensors - pull fuse?

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:01 pm
Actually, I forget, is the bus with you or is it still parked up somewhere in Yurup? That would be an almighty pain in the danglies.
Currently beached sideways on my drive. It fits on the hard standing but I need to run the front wheels onto the 'lawn' to get it there. Been there since returning from the south coast at the end of May. The recent monsoons mean I can't move it if I wanted to.
Trying to install some grass reinforcement grids to resolve this: https://www.ecodeck.biz/ecodeck-earth-press-grass/
Bit of a faff, but it will give my daughter & partner all weather off road parking so probably worth it.
Doggy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 pm Fix the onboard generator, (cranks OK, ignition works, has compression, hoping some fresh fuel might do the trick).
steve_earwig wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:01 pm If it's been standing for any amount of time with modern fuel in the carb it's probably turned to crap. Pull float bowl and check for stinky gummy goop.
I drained the last dregs of fuel from the tank and let it evaporate, leaving stinky gummy goop, so I'm kind of on the same page. Haven't stripped the carb yet, I will if fresh fuel alone doesn't do the trick.
steve_earwig wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:01 pm I presume the electronics have moved on a bit from the good old 406 but it'd be interesting to know just what you have to tamper with. Parking sensors - pull fuse?
I think it just needs enabling enabling in the BSI and fitting the right kit that matches up with existing connectors in the boot.

There's an off switch for the parking sensors so no real problem there. I've heard the ESP stuff supposedly adapts to presence of trailer / caravan and stops the inept from flipping it over. Also turns off the car rear fog when trailer attached. Don't plan on towing any great distance with the car so not bovvered personally, but if it's worth doing....
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

Eric,can't you use a Bypass relay kit and standard wiring and save a few quid over the dedicated wiring? I fitted one to my BMW when i wired up the towbar,o.k. it doesn't turn off the rear fog when towing or cancel the rear parking sensors but i've never once towed in the fog and as you say you can turn off the pdc system,far cheaper option.
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
Welly

Post by Welly »

Doggy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 pm
Personally, I'm 4 weeks into retirement, which translates into grafting 2-3 days a week
Any 'retired' man I've spoken to normally says their retirement becomes the new Job, and they'll say they're surprised they even had time to go to 'work' before.

When you're done with the house I've got 35mtrs of 6-foot fencing needs a "quick coat" of woodstain (according to Mrs_'erindoors)..
Cars in my care: