and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by PeterN »

Never actually done that but I did drive a CX for several miles up the M5 when it first opened with a flat front tyre. Thought the roads surface was a bit rough but it handled perfectly.

Peter
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Found another Jeep...

It's another eTorq Longitude, this time a 2019 Ex-Demo with only 1600miles on the clock. Picking it up Friday, wish us luck! Third time's the charm and all that... :lol:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Bailes1992 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:25 pm Gone with option 3, picking the new Jeep up tonight. Wish us luck :lol:

Interestingly, same engine block as the early BMW Mini's but with a 16v head. Wonder how easy it would be to swap the Cooper S bottom end over and feed the engine some extra air. :supafrisk:
Ohh,
Chocolate cam chains :supafrisk:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

The cistern is up & running again, just the MOT to get through on Tuesday.
I wound up getting the dampers + top bushes from Citroen, (£170 - exactly as priced on servicebox for once).
Garage charged £300 to fit them plus supply/fit 2 rear springs & the cv boot kits.
I'm OK with that and think I'll be giving him a bit more business when the need arises.

Handling wise, I think it's a touch more sure footed/quieter/smoother.
So it's back to alternately loving and hating it in fairly equal measure. :?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Thought of you the other week Doggy,

FarmerPug had decided to sell his 2.2 executive, quite low mileage for one of these now & a colour you like.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah, glad to hear it. That's a bit less than the original quote, OEM parts too. Was this the same guy who was out to lunch/in a meeting/on holiday/out of the country/dead?

In other news, my toe's getting better and I can now wear shoes. Yay. I've just been a-fiddling with the Matchless, my toe's not good enough to try kicking it over yet but I thought I'd tackle the l/h fork leak. One knackered seal later :roll: Now all I need to do is get some more fork oil, 'cos this lot's ejaculated all over the floor :roll: :roll: Next job: Add fuel and see how many leaks it has now (hopefully none but I have my doubts.)

Oh, and I'm thinking of calling it "the Fingertight Express". My dad, who did the final reassembly after I went back to work, really didn't expect anyone to actually ride it :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:05 pm Was this the same guy who was out to lunch/in a meeting/on holiday/out of the country/dead?
No, I think the first character really didn't want to know and nothing I saw there inspired confidence. The one I used had previously done some decent work for my daughter & her other half.

Good news on the toe - you wouldn't want to depend on finding any cabbage, or anything else in the shops round here. :roll:

Luck with the bike....
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Thanks! It scares me how old it is, but there are still spares (mainly from India, oddly) and I try to look at it as a two-wheeled lawnmower (similar basic technology) albeit a very heavy one...
Doggy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:09 pm No, I think the first character really didn't want to know and nothing I saw there inspired confidence.
That's the way I read it, as in "I don't want to do this but if you're mad enough to pay my over-inflated charges..." Glad you found somewhere friendlier.

We have cabbage thanks :P Although we just went shopping (no panic necessary, we needed dog food & milk) and I noticed there was no cabbage. Or spuds, onions, garlic or bananas. Some of the other veg looked a bit low too, the milk shelves looked a bit sparse an' all. And crisps (+ similar garbage). The cat food shelves were a bit empty but only the stuff that was on offer.

But the good news is:
We got bog roll! (Psst, can you borrow a lorry? :supafrisk: ) Yeah missus, I took your picture, whatchagonnadoboutit?

I think it's mainly things that will last, although it does seem a bit random, I was in the other supermarket last week and, along with meat and veg, they were down on flour, the pasta shelves were stripped and we couldn't find yeast anywhere (Max makes his own bread). Although I can't say how much of all this is down to panic (if in panic, if in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout) or supply - a lot of this stuff will come from abroad, which includes Italy.

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Ssssshh! Mum's the word.

If this goes viral it could save the airlines through an upsurge in bog roll tourism. :shock:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Doggy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:36 am If this goes viral...
:shock: :shock: Maybe that's an expression that's had its day :supafrisk:

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

On reflection, I could have used a more appropriate expression :oops:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I think the problem is it's too appropriate :shock:

I dunno about you guys but I'm starting to get rather jittery. We've just been to town to post my pension paperwork (a lot of thought went into it but I'm starting to wonder if it's academic) and my wife asked me to pop in a supermarket on my way home to buy some hand soap. Umm, just soap? We can't hold on for a few days until we have enough to justify mingling with the masses? A point that was brought home by the two persons at a time only policy at the chemist's, where she popped in for some vitamins.

Last week I was in a supermarket maybe 5 times? All the time I'm wandering about thinking don't touch anything, don't touch your face, don't stand too close to anyone, did I hear someone sneeze? I think I came pretty close to a panic attack a couple of times.

And then there's my mate Max, he has no car so I take him shopping a couple of times a week and he expects to go to a bar while we're out. I've been ok with this, I like the local coffee and he gets to poison himself with whatever he fancies. But, last week, when I told him I was no longer comfortable with this he told me it was all misinformation and rumour, he's not worried. Well bully for you mate, I am.

I've always been of a mindset that if I buy a couple of weeks' worth of supplies then I won't have to go shopping so often, whereas my wife's lived most of her life in flats with nowhere to store anything, so she expects to have to keep popping to the shops all the time. I have made much more storage space in this house (which my wife likes to fill with pots and pans and empty jam jars :x) but I'm starting to think we need to get serious. Not 500 bog roll's worth of serious mind, but enough to seriously reduce our contact with the outside world.

This isn't the long-awaited zombie apocalypse but in many ways it's worse - at least you can see zombies coming.

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

You're right steve, I've gone from making a joke about it to thinking "sh*t this will get bad real quick". I've become very mindful about touching anything but I've actually always opened shop doors with my foot or elbow where possible. I'm not an OCD sufferer by any means, I just don't like other peoples potential germs. I walked around the supermarket yesterday with hands in pockets and keeping as far away from anyone as possible...ushering Mrs_Welly along where I felt we'd been in one place for too long.

In Saino's this weekend; no bog roll, no pasta, cereal, tea, tinned stuff, etc etc. Is it greed/stupidity or is it "I'll only have to go there once" mentality? and I really don't get the thing with bog roll :?

I worry about the economy too, less spending, less earning, there's similarities to War time :?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Just back from supermarket of madness myself. I'm trying not to join the hysteria but found myself having to buy mega packs of stuff, cos there ain't anything else. It's completely barmy. I assumed the bog roll blitz was going to be over once everybody realised they had enough but there's no sign of rational behaviour anywhere.

I've a feeling we're on the brink of a recession that'll make the great depression seem like a minor blip in comparison. Hope I'm wrong.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I dunno about the empty shelves, I presume it's people buying way more than they need in case the supply dries up, but it could be folks like me and you not wanting to keep visiting and the shelves gradually clear themselves. The bog roll? Well, I think people saw what happened in Australia and figured they'd get in there early.

Max called me earlier, I was meant to be taking him to hostable tomorrow for a check up but he's checked and they're closed for anything non-essential (well, golly gosh). Can we go shopping today instead? Er, why? Because it looks like all the bars will be shut from tomorrow. I think he was a little put out when I said "good" :roll: