and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by Doggy »

Now't wrong with paranoia, so long as you have just the right amount.

HTH :D
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Doggy wrote:Now't wrong with paranoia, so long as you have just the right amount.

HTH :D
HTH?

Is that a secret code?

I'll be Hunted Tomorrow High noon?

Oh no I knew when I pulled out in that 53 Plate Vectra this morning something bad was going to happen to me and now this :cry:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

ERROR 06 Paranoia level too high or too low.
Please calm down or focus as necessary.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Heading To Hell?

It's because when someone else is doing it you think they must know what they're doing (I have evidence that you'd be wrong here)

Whereas, when you do it, you've been listening to t'wife too much and doubt your own competence.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Doggy wrote:ERROR 06 Paranoia level too high or too low.
Please calm down or focus as necessary.
WHO TOLD YOU TO SAY THAT???
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Graeme, you know I can't answer that.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I definitely didn't find the correct Torque values on the web for the caliper bolts yesterday (after completing the job) and definitely didn't get home and strip the whole lot to re-torque bolts to correct values or anything, no that never happened.

My previous 'by hand' torques felt very similar to the torque wrench ones in the end.
Cars in my care:
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

Welly wrote:I definitely didn't find the correct Torque values on the web for the caliper bolts yesterday (after completing the job) and definitely didn't get home and strip the whole lot to re-torque bolts to correct values or anything, no that never happened.

My previous 'by hand' torques felt very similar to the torque wrench ones in the end.
I usually measure torque by number of white knuckles :supafrisk: anything more the 5 white knuckles is simply known as RFT (really f**kin tight)

Seriously though, the more time you spend on the tools the more you get a feel for how tight things need to be. I will however always use a torque wrench for anything I consider critical, has a specific tightening pattern or an unusually high/low torque value.

I've been banging on aboot up-sizing from the 307 for a while......
I'm now the proud* owner of a 2006 2.2hdi 807

20170926_103547 by Ollie Ball, on Flickr

Image20170926_103512 by Ollie Ball, on Flickr

Image20170926_103501 by Ollie Ball, on Flickr

I did something unusual for me, I took a punt and bought it based on pictures and a chat with the dealer without viewing, due to the low price (£900) for its age/mileage and distance from me. The dealer even delivered it the same day :shock: .
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with it. Appearance wise I feel it's in better condition than advertised. I assumed the interior was cloth based on the pictures but it's actually half suede leather, it's not fully loaded but has all the useful toys: auto lights/wipers/folding mirrors, electric sliding doors the operate off the key fob, parking sensors, electric memory seats and a 6 speed box.
As we're planning on keeping this one for as long as possible I'll be doing a load of work on it: hdi tuning 170bhp remap, tow bar, hard wired front/rear dash cams, reversing camera and a lot of rust proofing.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Looks very nice - and useful. When I started repairing my motors I don't think they had torque wrenches, at least I certainly didn't, you did things up by size and feel, the only thing I use one for now is head bolts. The usual thing that happened was over tightening and after breaking a few things and having to repair them you soon learn't.

Peter
Welly

Post by Welly »

Ollie - that looks a good buy for sure, I always forget about that model, certainly don't notice them around too much, seem to see a lot of the big Citroens instead. Hope it serves you well should shift along nicely with a remap and some de-strangling :D

In terms of Torque settings, the more I looked into them and brake calipers the more I wondered if it's more to do with risk and arse-covering. I was advised to torque the caliper mounting brackets to 100NM (18mm bolts) and the Caliper slide pin mountings (13mm bolts) to 32NM which to be fair 'felt' about right. Then came the argument over using threadlock on the bolts, don't really see a need for this unless it's something rotating at eleventy million rpm :?
Cars in my care:
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

Welly wrote:Ollie - that looks a good buy for sure, I always forget about that model, certainly don't notice them around too much, seem to see a lot of the big Citroens instead. Hope it serves you well should shift along nicely with a remap and some de-strangling :D

In terms of Torque settings, the more I looked into them and brake calipers the more I wondered if it's more to do with risk and arse-covering. I was advised to torque the caliper mounting brackets to 100NM (18mm bolts) and the Caliper slide pin mountings (13mm bolts) to 32NM which to be fair 'felt' about right. Then came the argument over using threadlock on the bolts, don't really see a need for this unless it's something rotating at eleventy million rpm :?
Generally speaking there is a specific torque range for a given diameter fastener depending on material/grade and whether it's in a shear or tension application.
Vibration is the killer when it comes to fasteners, it doesn't just have to be spinning.

This is a pretty awesome demonstration of how vibration can effect even a correctly tightened bolt
IKwWu2w1gGk

PeterN wrote:Looks very nice - and useful. When I started repairing my motors I don't think they had torque wrenches, at least I certainly didn't, you did things up by size and feel, the only thing I use one for now is head bolts. The usual thing that happened was over tightening and after breaking a few things and having to repair them you soon learn't.

Peter
When I did my aircraft mechanics course some of our school aircraft were de Havilland Devons (WW2 era design) and torquing was done by attaching a spring balance at a known distance along a bar and working out how much force to apply (for those unfamiliar, applied torque is simply calculated by force x distance) in the case of the prop nut it consisted of you weighing yourself and working out how far along the 6ft bar you had to hang to get the correct torque.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I still use that principle, the older I get the longer breaker bar I have to buy. :?

Peter
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

....waiting at East Midlands Airport, cattle class to Faro, sometime soon, maybe. :roll:
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

PeterN wrote:I still use that principle, the older I get the longer breaker bar I have to buy. :?

Peter
If you haven't already got one, I'd recommend an electric impact gun. One of the older guys at work (70) still does most of his own spannering and he'd never considered one (impact guns are a big no no on aircraft) until his car mechanic son gave him one of his old ones. He couldn't believe how much easier it made things for him. Still tightens everything by hand but raves about how much it takes the struggle out of even the simplest of jobs.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Doggy wrote:....waiting at East Midlands Airport, cattle class to Faro, sometime soon, maybe. :roll:
Doggy, about now...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.