Veg Oil in an HDi??

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Veg Oil in an HDi??

Post by GeordieBoy »

Anyone tried this yet? If so whats it like? I've heard ppl say Diesels run fine on it, even at 100% Veg Oil. Been looking at a site http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk and it seems the HDi is fine on a 30% mix of Veg Oil. Not bad at about 40p per Litre.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Don't do it! Not really safe, except on a mech injected diesel. I used to run my old Rover 400 TD on it - free fuel from my mates cafe! olde worlde Mercs are also good for it without any mods.

As little as 2 litres added to a full tank in the HDi has been reputed to be sufficient to kill the lift pump, and sufficiently raise the viscosity of the fuly to lock the radial pump and shred the cambelt. you'd need a twin tank system on the hDi, to start on diesel until the motor is hot, then switch to veg, and then back to dieself for the last 10 miles or so, which makes it pointless unless you do mega mileages in one hit each time. Then there's the taxation issues...
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

Think I'll pass on that idea then, not worth it if its gonna break parts.

Of course I would have paid the Tax. :cheesy:
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
Scotty
1.6 8v

Post by Scotty »

If you want to go greener then Bio-diesel will be OK. All diesel sold in France is 5% mix.

Link to Filling stations here

Link to Carpages here
D8
1.9 DTLX
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Just don't put petrol in it, that's all I know hehehehehehe.........

*ducks from Supa*
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

But how is your petrol/diesel episode????????
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

a lad at work, who shall remain nameless, recently filled a hire car with diesel when it should have been filthy dirty petrol. Instead of admitting the error and taking it on the chin, he drained the full tank into the drain in the rear yard. All well and good until the fumes started to waft up from the drains and the whole nick, including custody, had to be evacuated. Ooops! :lol:
406 express
1.8 16v

Post by 406 express »

I hace been running a 2001 HDI 90 for abour 40.000 miles on biodiesel ( 50% Diesel, 50% rape seed oil) not a probles, to be honest the engine is more quieter, smoother and mores responsive, just about to get a 03Hdi 110 and going to continue ysing it, cost me 80p per litre from a garage, spoke to at least 7 406 Hdi taxi drivers around my area, they all use it had the same improvements, economy is no different either!!
if you don't know where your going, any road will take you there
darrenwall
2.0 Turbo

Post by darrenwall »

Scotty wrote:If you want to go greener then Bio-diesel will be OK. All diesel sold in France is 5% mix.

Link to Filling stations here

Link to Carpages here
is bio diesel cheaper than normal diesel then ?
i also found this on wikipedia about it " Other vehicle manufacturers remain cautious over use of biodiesel.[3] In the UK many only maintain their engine warranties for use with maximum 5% biodiesel — blended in with 95% conventional diesel — although this position is generally considered to be overly cautious. Peugeot and Citroën are exceptions in that they have both recently announced that their HDI diesel engine can run on 30% biodiesel. Scania and Volkswagen are other exceptions, allowing most of their engines to operate on 100% biodiesel."
406silverhdi
2.0 16v

Post by 406silverhdi »

how much are you paying for proper bio diesel

the cheapest ive found it is 92p a litre, thats just not worth bothering with at that price
dizzy
1.6 8v

Re: Veg Oil in an HDi??

Post by dizzy »

I post on vegoildiesel all the time. I really would not recommend putting any SVO in a HDI let alone 30%.

Yes it will run, but it doesnt do the engine any good. 100% SVO will kill the engine in a couple of months.30% just prolongs the process.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Wiki wrote:Peugeot and Citroën are exceptions in that they have both recently announced that their HDI diesel engine can run on 30% biodiesel.
dizzy wrote:Yes it will run, but it doesnt do the engine any good. 100% SVO will kill the engine in a couple of months.30% just prolongs the process.
peugeot wrote:Yes, it'll run fine, no problems we have 2,000 new gold plated engine blocks on order already
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Wiki also wrote:Biodiesel refers to a diesel-equivalent processed fuel derived from biological sources (such as vegetable oils) which can be used in unmodified diesel-engine vehicles. It is distinguished from the straight vegetable oils (SVO) or waste vegetable oils (WVO) used as fuels in some diesel vehicles.
Don't run your HDi on unmodified SVO but you may run it on 30% Biodiesel blended with conventional diesel (according to Peugeot according to Wiki).
Is it much of a stretch to change SVO into Biodiesel? I once heard that adding 3% meths to lower the viscosity was pretty much it! :?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

At 92p a liter this all sounds like a fair bit of grief for not a lot of savings.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
archangel2
1.8 8v

Post by archangel2 »

i used bio in a 1.9 td 406 estate no probs non hdi