Warning : Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Gas

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: Warning : Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Gas

Post by FarmerPug »

i did it, it lights a hard to start fire very quickly.
Last edited by steve_earwig on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar turned into English
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

DiscoPol wrote:
Bailes1992 wrote: Pub in Bridgend who put a thin layer of WD40 on all the bathroom surfaces, toilet seats etc the llot! They had an issue with peopl Snorting Coke in the bathrooms. The WD40 would give them nosebleeds, the bouncers could see who'd been doing it and chuck them out.
As Ex-Doorstaff i can assure you the WD isnt there to cause nosebleeds its there as its a bitch to cut and chop out your lines on a surface that has an oily residue on it, the nosebleeds are just a happy coincidence, remember even crap coke aint cheap so when you lose a few lines worth to the WD covered surfaces it deters you from trying again in that venue,

another happy coincidence is that the doorstaff have a legitimate excuse for having the small handy sized cans of WD in their pockets if stopped and searched by the local plod whilst on duty and that stuff is better than CS or Pepper spray in the eyes if things all get bit hairy on the doors :wink:

Not that i would ever condone such practices you understand, i always found the 4 cell maglite more than adequate as a legitimate "equaliser" to carry about in the Cromby inside pocket, snip the stitching at one corner of the pocket and it just slips down a treat leaving just the torch head there for quick removal to "search those unlit areas" of any club.
:shock: I propose DiscoPol's 'rank' should be changed from '3.0 24V' to '406oc Security Consultant' :shock:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

it would be a good rank change, certainly better than something about rabbits.
Markyrow
1.8 8v

Post by Markyrow »

To get back to the original topic, beware of burned out cars. Some of the rubber components will cause serious injury or death after they have been melted in a fire. The seals on bonnet and boot stays (hydraulic damper type) are prime examples. The chemicals can get into your body and the only way to stop the stuff from spreading is to amputate if you are lucky and catch it in time. Advice is do not try to strip 2nd hand parts from burnt wrecks.

Chemical suicide using household chemicals is another nightmare entirely, with all the required stuff available from your local shops!

Mark.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Markyrow wrote:To get back to the original topic, beware of burned out cars. Some of the rubber components will cause serious injury or death after they have been melted in a fire. The seals on bonnet and boot stays (hydraulic damper type) are prime examples. The chemicals can get into your body and the only way to stop the stuff from spreading is to amputate if you are lucky and catch it in time. Advice is do not try to strip 2nd hand parts from burnt wrecks.

Chemical suicide using household chemicals is another nightmare entirely, with all the required stuff available from your local shops!

Mark.
imust be lucky then,
iused to cut up burnt out cars with a sthil saw ,
Markyrow
1.8 8v

Post by Markyrow »

I think yes! I have seen pictures of horrible injuries where flesh falls off and it's not treatable. The F and RS have special guidelines to deal with this stuff!
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Markyrow wrote:I think yes! I have seen pictures of horrible injuries where flesh falls off and it's not treatable. The F and RS have special guidelines to deal with this stuff!
:shock: idid 7 years plus working with damaged /burnt wrecked cars,

this is the 1st ive heard of anything like this, Health & safety well and truly went thru the window where iworked then :shock:
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

If im doing any work on the oily end of a car, a pair of gloves is a great job it stops any thing harmful getting in, and obvoiusly shut your mouth if your working under a car, you dont want some shite flying into you gob while under it.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

steve_earwig wrote:Can of WD40 + fag lighter = instant flame thrower :twisted: (don't try this at home kiddies :P )
Aye. Unless you've got a massive house - the flame shoots quite some distance if I recall :lol:

Deodorant is better for indoor use :supafrisk:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

this topic has gone out of proportion :shock:

all this talk of wd40 and deodarant :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

ive not been unlucky with the brake cleaner yet
but after the egr cleaner Accident /fail, iwill use brake cleaner abit more carefully,

The fiat punto vs egr cleaner cost me a 3day stay in hospital,
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

lozz wrote:ive not been unlucky with the brake cleaner yet
but after the egr cleaner Accident /fail, iwill use brake cleaner abit more carefully,

What happened to you? Don't leave us with only half a story... we wanna hear it all :shock:

By the way: thanks to this thread I am even more petrified of going near my brakes..... Do I have any volunteers to come help me? :?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Sonia406 wrote:

What happened to you? Don't leave us with only half a story... we wanna hear it all :shock:

By the way: thanks to this thread I am even more petrified of going near my brakes..... Do I have any volunteers to come help me? :?

Speaking as a professional mechanic, I use brake cleaner every day, you shouldn't have any problems with it if you use it as a brake cleaner and not a blow torch.

I would be happy to help you with your brakes, sadly I'm in sunny Lancashire :D
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

jasper5 wrote:
Sonia406 wrote:

Speaking as a professional mechanic, I use brake cleaner every day, you shouldn't have any problems with it if you use it as a brake cleaner and not a blow torch.

I would be happy to help you with your brakes, sadly I'm in sunny Lancashire :D
Thankfully I don't own one of those :) Imagine me? Dangerous woman with dangerous blow torch? :lol: Doesn't bare thinking about :lol:
Thanks for the offer, Just need to get the blasted wheel off - Long long lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng story :oops: