Peugeot 407?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

slick
1.8 16v

Peugeot 407?

Post by slick »

How much will one of these be, a Hdi exec? I wish I hadn't sold my old one...
slick
1.8 16v

Post by slick »

Or a late late 406 hdi exec?
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Why do you regret it so much slick? what's up?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
slick
1.8 16v

Post by slick »

Because, the car was perfect geniune car, running fine, and I spent a lot of money (for me) on a car thats too small, which Im not too impressed with....
Welly

Post by Welly »

I must admit, If you own a car that you know is a good'un then you should really keep it.

I've changed cars before and regretted it, what did you get instead?
Cars in my care:
slick
1.8 16v

Post by slick »

I bought an 04 Ford focus. Its good, because, its new ish, still has Ford warranty, low mileage, its a special edition job too. It handles surprinsgly well, fuel economy is ok too, its cheaper tax and insruance...

BUT, the Ford warranty isn't much cop. The clutch sometimes makes a whining noise when on the biting point, Ford said it was fine? I think maybe a bearing is on its way out? A car which has done 14,000 miles shouldn't have things like that going wrong-ish. Then, the Ford guy said disks and pads needed changing cos it had reached 'their recommended limits', again same applies.

I am starting to dislike it now....
Welly

Post by Welly »

The Focus is meant to be one of the most reliable and trouble free cars out there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the clutch, that will probably go away.

The discs and pads, Ford Dealers always try that one I'd be amazed if the discs have 'reached their limit' after 14000, Pads should last around 18000 miles and usually discs are changed every other pad change. Having said that, when I've had Fords in the past one of the most common problems was poor quality discs that warp easily, TBH the disc and pad change should be cheap anyway if you want to get it done.

The Focus is popular though and you should get a good price when selling it (if you do).
Cars in my care:
slick
1.8 16v

Post by slick »

I have been told I can get ?7000 for it. If I can, then I will sell, and get the 407. If not, I keep it for 2 years. My problem is I quite fancy the Audi A4, or the Saab 9-3 or a BMW 3 series touring, all diesel of course.

That is one of the reason I bought the Focus, reliability and apprantly cheap service costs...
Welly

Post by Welly »

Out of that lot slick, I would go for the Audi, it is likely to hold it's value well and if your paying around about 8K it will be a good solid quality car, the cheaper 3K Audi's are not such a good idea IMO.

Unfortunately the 407 is likely to be one of those Peugeots that plummets down to the ?3000.00 mark in no time at all (that's when I'll buy one hehe).

The SAAB will depreciate like a Lap Top aswell.
Cars in my care:
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

See, you bought a ford.
Report to the nearest insanitoriam for re education.

The Focus is "reported" to be very reliable. But what you don't hear is how you can find your engine swithing off when your cruising at 70 on the motorway. Or how the Clutch falls apart in less than 20K miles. Or how the rear suspension begins to knock after 30k.
Theres more to it. All listed once on Watchdog.

Get a pug, and quick!
Welly

Post by Welly »

I must admit, any Ford I've ever had only feels OK up to about 50K miles, after that they can feel a bit nasty - Ford tend to build cars to a price using cheap 'OK' parts, sure cheap to fix up but shouldn't go wrong in the first place, I suppose people dont complain much about Ford's because they are not really rated as a quality product, more of an everyday honest, easy to keep car, if it doesn't let you down then it will get a lot of praise.
Cars in my care:
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

With the Focus it appears to be a love it or hate it thing. After driving one I fall slap bang in the middle of the hate it camp.

If you're not keen on it then sell it on.

I've already got my eye on my next car for a couple of years down the road.

Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3T Hot........250bhp of executive cruiser :cheesy:

Going to wait until the newer ones drop to around the ?5k mark and then grab myself a bargain.

Fog :cheesy:
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

supafrisk wrote:.................
If I were you mate, sell the fcukedus and get something that makes you smile when you walk out of your front door. That's why I have a V6 coupe as well... :mrgreen:
Sound advice!!
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

Still, the bit about getting something that makes you smile is sound advice.
Thats why my nexts car WILL be a D9.

I've decided that I'll see if I can get my faithfull 6 past the big 200K mile mark. She's on 180 now.
slick
1.8 16v

Post by slick »

mmmmm, I will have to see. I might just keep it for 2 yrs or so then get rid. It will still retain some value. Supa, a lot of cabbies are going for E-class mercs and the like, but unless its one of those executive route jobs etc, why do they do it?