in the market to buy a coupe any advice

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

slightproblem

in the market to buy a coupe any advice

Post by slightproblem »

hi there as stated im at the moment looking at buying a 406 coupe. im after a 2l though not a v6. just wondering if there are any common faults/ problems i should be aware of when buying.

im looking at one at the moment that is a really light green colour almost pearlesent and have been told this was a lmtd edition model with only 100 being sent to the uk, is this true? it has 170,000 miles on the clock. but looks really well looked after and comes with loads of history/recipts. belts were changed at 60k and 130k, but am unsure as to the high millage, any information will be a great help and hopefully, i will be able to post some pics of my new car in thwe near future!!!!
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Re: in the market to buy a coupe any advice

Post by teamster1975 »

Welcome in mate! Take a look on the Coupe club website :)
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

My only advice is not to buy a cheap snotter. It's cheaper in the long run just to buy a straight one.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Don't know if you're aware but there are 2.2 petrol & diesel versions too.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

If its the fuel economy of the v6 putting you off dont worry you can still enjoy that great engine, a friend had one with an lpg conversion, it was doing the economy of a diesel but still had the nice v6 note and pace, although the insurance of the v6 and the tax are reasons not to get one
slightproblem

Post by slightproblem »

**duplicate post**
Last edited by slightproblem on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slightproblem

Post by slightproblem »

i have a fto gpx at the moment which is v6 but £20 every 2 days for a 12 mile round trip to and from work ?????
so im loking to sell my fto and use this money to fund the purchase of a coupe, which means after the fto has gone ill have in the region on about 1k'ish to spend, id love a diesel great looks with great mpg but think that model is out of my price range, i understand im not going to get a blistering car for 1K, hence asking for the advice so i can get the best for the money im looking at spending
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oops, sorry about that. I wasn't sure which of your posts to approve so did both of them but now it looks a bit funny. Blame it on our "first 5 posts need approval to keep the spamming scumbags out" policy :oops:

Still, just two more and it won't be a problem :wink:

I reckon the choice of engine is down to you, I'd go for a 2.2 petrol meself but maybe you'd be loosing too much performance. Then again, the 2.2 diesel can be remapped to something nice and the coupe club have that software to get rid of the stupid particle filter nonsense (here's a thought, look for one with issues with it, it'll go cheap 'cos not many people know what to do about them without expensive replacement/dealer fees)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

The 2.2 manual petrol is only a third of a second slower than the 3.0 auto. Best of all the 2.2 can be remapped to 191 BHP (as is the same motor in my 407) which put's it above the PWR of the V6, without the complication.
no2lurch
3.0 24v

Post by no2lurch »

turbolag wrote: Best of all the 2.2 can be remapped to 191 BHP (as is the same motor in my 407) which put's it above the PWR of the V6, without the complication.
petrol or deisel?
Past car - D9 2.2 SRi estate, sleeper, family wagon & general hauler!
Current car - Ph3 1.8 306
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Petrol, with the Marelli management. It rolled dead on 163 at the begining, and some 40 minutes later ran 191.7 on the same rollers. They reckoned it might've given more, but the gas analyser showed it was approaching MOT limits, so they trimmed it back a touch to 191 and I was very happy.

I wasn't so much after the power, though it was nice, but I wanted to rid it of that awful emissions-lurch when the engine shut off the fuel as you lift to change gear.
Last edited by turbolag on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no2lurch
3.0 24v

Post by no2lurch »

i think in standard form, the 2.2 petrol is a very nice engine.
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Roger that, apart from the lurch, though I don't know if the 406 was better in that regard than the 407. A nice induction kit gives it a pleasant almost V6 throb through the lower revs, unleashing that long-stroke warble.
Last edited by turbolag on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no2lurch
3.0 24v

Post by no2lurch »

turbolag wrote:Roger that, apart from the lurch, though I don't know if the 406 was better in that regard than the 407.
lurch?
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Dunno about on the 406, but in the 407 when you lift off to change gear the engine shuts the fuel off very abruptly, making upchanges very jerky on the 2.2. I've tried sustained changes, the lot, and it was nigh on impossible to make a smooth upchange. The remap lets a dribble of fuel in on the over-run, which also helps with the gear changes a lot.

civic Type R and the E36 M3 were the only worse cars for this phenomenon I've ever driven (on the Civic you felt like your face was gonna wallop the dash on every upchange, just appalling unless you're hammering at 10/10ths)