D8 on an X ?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

gumby6371
3.0 24v

D8 on an X ?

Post by gumby6371 »

Sat watching tv with the other half the other night, my mind slowly turning to mush as she catches up with Eastenders and I notice Lucas the psychotic reverend has a very tidy D8 estate, then i notice it's on an X plate ?

Now am I right in thinking they didn't make a D8 that late ? Just the other day i was looking at buying a full D9 (didn't look like a changeover model) on a W.

I'm fairly sure it was a D8 as it looked identical to mine other than mine is a saloon (grille, interior trim, even the digital aircon/heater controls all the same)

Should i contact the production company and insist such a blatant continuity error can only be put right by swapping my tatty (yet pretty reliable) P reg for the shiny (presumably very well lokked after) estate ?
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
mjb
Site Admin

Re: D8 on an X ?

Post by mjb »

Sounds like a good spot! :cheesy:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

It could be a late registered model. Which has happened here. Ive seen a few 2000 registered D8's. Also, the programme could have stuck a number plate from a scrapped car on it to hide the real identity of the car.
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

They don't have a clue sometimes, judging by some of the prices on the car lot over the years!
1999 Honda Accord Coupe 2.0 Vtec Automatic
Previously 2002 406 HDi 90 Rapier Monaco Blue
Welly wrote:something to do with rubber/splits/bursts/flat/floppy etc
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

sirwiggum wrote:They don't have a clue sometimes, judging by some of the prices on the car lot over the years!

Ha ha! I don't watch big-enders It's too depressing and shouty but I do know about the car lot!

I wonder if they've ever sold any of them facking blindin' motah's [/east end voice]
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
tenwierdufos
2.0 16v

Post by tenwierdufos »

Lol, i dont know if they will be proper plates, being on tv and all ;)
Image<------------------- GONE :'(
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

That's what I thought, no way would they use a real plate.

I hate soap operas but while I was lodging I had no choice, mainly because my mate whose family I was lodging with was a child actor and in most of them.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

That Mazda 626 taxi on Corrie must do some mileage.

And why does no-one else on the street have a car? Streets like that in Belfast usually have cars on both sides!
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Probably a late registered car. They won't fanny about with fake plates on old car worth pennies.

I recently stopped a sierra on a Y, registered some 7 or more years after they were withdrawn from sale in the UK.
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

turbolag wrote:Probably a late registered car. They won't fanny about with fake plates on old car worth pennies.

I recently stopped a sierra on a Y, registered some 7 or more years after they were withdrawn from sale in the UK.
:shock:

Y is 1999 right?
How is that even possible? Was it sitting in an airfield for 7 years? Surely if it was a rebuild it would have acquired 'Q' plates?

Was it an import? Where in the world would be building Sierras in 1999?

Newest I can find is 'M', which I think is 1995? - http://passionford.com/forum/general-di ... erras.html

Reminds me of watching a film set in Dublin, they had Garda Sierra Sapphires on 96-D plates...
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

The feller reckoned it was originally bought by the Met Dibble, then sat unused and unregistered in a warehouse. The Met had a clearout and flogged off some of these old cars, and that's how the bloke got it - an effectively brand new and unregistred Sierra for pennies.

Apparently there were also a couple of unregistered Met-owned SD1 Rovers at the auction, but the bidding went stratospheric.

Seems the Met had a daft habit of stocking up on a model if it was a good Police car when they came to the end of their production - SD1s, XR4bies, 5 series autos etc - but they bought so many that by the time they came to use the last of them they were hopelessly outdated, so the remainder sat there unregistered and unloved gathering dust.
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

I'd heard about the SD1s being stockpiled by the met before. Didn't realise they did it so often!

What would a car that's been sitting around be like? The brakes would surely be rusted away if not seized. Hopefully the warehouse is fairly well air conditioned. Though not being driven, no salt getting at the arches and sills.

I noticed the other day that the PSNI have a lot of mk1 Vectras still on the go, surely this isn't a case of stockpiling, more a case of make-do!
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

The fuzz also stockpiled Senators, they stopped making them in '91 but I had one registered in '95.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

And why would anyone like the SD1 so much to stock pile some in case they ran out :? :lol:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Back then the Farces were supposed to buy British where at all possible, so when the Rover SD1 expired in 84ish there wasn't much of an alternative for a big bore British bruiser, so I can see why they were keen to keep a few in reserve.