and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: The Battery Drill Boys

Post by Welly »

Forgot to vent my anger about something earlier.

Couple of weeks ago our Electric Fan Oven failed, I'd already replaced the heater element twice before to keep it going but when the 'timer' buttons pushed through the control panel and fell behind enough was enough so I decided to order a new oven and a matching GAS Hob as a treat.

I can fit the oven myself but couldn't be arsed altering the gas (more on that later) and coupled with Mrs_Welly's insistence that I'm not allowed to do "big jobs" because: Heart Attack I actually paid for the 'delivery and install' service. No-one but no-one ever works in this house apart from me so my 'supervisor' senses were on high alert :frown:

The Gas Hob was an identical fit to the old one so the gas was tested, disconnected, reconnected, tested etc all fairly normal and there was much activity with battery drills for the fixings that pull the hob down clamping the Hob down onto the worktop.

The Oven is 'built under' so slides into an empty kitchen base unit effectively, and the Gas Hob is sunken into the worktop above. Old oven came out and the two early-twenties age lads started fixing the large L-Shaped metal angles either side of the cupboard onto which the new oven will 'slide in' and be retained with screws at the front. 'Clank' :oops: the oven is clashing with the Gas pipe rising up to feed the hob - now this is the gas pipe that's always been like it so not the lad's fault - it was clashing by about 10mm, ho hum.

Anyway we all agreed that the gas needed altering to clear the cooker's casing and that this was outside of their remit so the Oven was removed. I commented to the lads that the Oven looked 'pissed' sitting about 5mm higher one side than the other...."oh that's alright there's adjustable feet underneath to sort that.....BYE BYE......

About a week later I got my Gas Boiler Serving man to come down and alter the gas for me, I had been refunded the Oven's 'install charge' so I was covered financially. Before he arrived I tried the Oven back into the hole and saw that there was definitely NOT any adjustable feet and that they'd actually fitted the L-Angle 5mm higher on one side of the cupboard FFS. I had to remove the Angle, measure and re-drill the fixing holes further away so I could re-screw it just 5mm higher - SORTED! - why couldn't they do it right in the first place :frown:

Next when we disconnected the gas hob we noticed 2 of the 4 hob 'clamps' were loose - turns out they had wanged the screws in with a battery drill, these screws are like electric light socket screws and going into a thread tapped into sheet metal about 2mm thick at best so they must have instantly stripped the threads with the battery drill and f*cked off without saying they'd damaged them.

Now - because I'd had another tradesman working on the hob I've got no chance complaining against the original lads so I just kinda nipped in two slightly coarser/thicker screws and fixed* it myself in the end.

MY POINT - what is the obsession with everyone whazzing screws in left right and centre with bloody battery drills? :frown: many many screws and fixings need to be 'felt' in my hand using a screwdriver so you get a warning back through your hand that you're hitting resistance etc. I despair I really do.

Soz for long rant but that's the last time I get a 'professional' here to do something.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by steve_earwig »

At least you tried to do it your wife's way. That's like air guns in tyre shops, if the monkey winding your wheel nuts on isn't awake they either strip them or you can't get them off again without explosives. I'm all for labour-saving tools but you have to know how to use them.

There is no pride for people doing these sort of jobs, it's just get it over with as quick as and piss off, unfortunately. It's not just the UK either, we had our kitchen here fitted, the guy running the co. is an old friend of t'wife too but they still managed to cock it up. They started hanging cabinets from the wrong end and when they got to the full size cabinets they found they were an inch out, so they butchered everything to get the heights right and the upper cabinets almost immediately started sagging. I had to do a lot of modifying but 15 years later and it's all still up there. The same co. also fitted laminate flooring while they were here, they left an almost big enough gap all the way around as you're meant to (laminate "breathes") but then cocked it all up by stapling the skirts through the laminate into the parquet below. So when the weather turned colder/damper we had a small mountain where the kitchen joins the lounge/dining room. Guess who had to fix that one :roll:

I changed the hob here a couple of years back, the old one wasn't completely knackered but some of t'wife's pots 'n' pans are so big they need their own postcode so I got one of those big 5 ring jobbies with plenty of acreage. I was actually surprised it still fitted in the same hole. I should really change the oven too (btw it's also a built-under but it's half-way up a cabinet, you can't actually buy built-in ovens here) as the writing's worn off and the bulb has long since committed suicide (the cover shattered and I can't get the remains out) but my offers have so far been refused. Electric oven, gas hobs fed from a bottle - there is mains gas here now (guess where it comes from) but there's not been much take up (fortunately).
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Bloody hell, I’m not alone then, another example of let’s rip you off and see if you’ll tolerate the mediocre job we’ve “delivered” for you - ooh don’t forget to leave us a review!
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Guess what car I was in today:

Yep, that's my old D9 still going strong :cheesy:

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Bet that was a bittersweet experience.
I know I'll never get another one, but I've still got a soft spot for the 406. :(
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly

Post by Welly »

Sorry for the long absence, where does the time go?

Nice to see the Forum has been quite busy actually, that's good.

Nice to see your old D9 still being enjoyed and used well. I saw a '53 Estate on Monday and thought how rare it was, I'm guessing most 406's ended up scrapped with emissions faults* and knackered back plates etc. Great cars though.

I haven't worked for 14 months :oops: I'm all good medically now, although I've just got over a dose of Covid - that wasn't very nice and has left me with an aching back (common apparently with Omicron).

Work-wise I'm going through a 'work divorce' where I'm being politely asked to piss off and say nothing as long as I accept 15 bags, I'm alright with that, although feel as though my long-service has been a waste of bloody time, oh well, it kept me and my family going whilst the kids went through school and university. I'm 'free' now to do something else without the pressure of needing top-dollar wages.

Best,

Welly
Cars in my care:
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Good to hear you're OK medically, but I still find it upsetting when I hear about hard working conscientious people being 'let go'. Should be imune to it by now but I'm not. Hope they have looked after you finacially.

Be nice if you could occupy yourself doing something you enjoy or always wanted to try.

Whatever you decide, look after yourself - this ain't no rehearsal.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I'm hoping for something stress-free really.

Yes, great to hear from you Welters :cheesy: Sorry about the oh my cron. I didn't know that about back pain, I hope it passes soon.

I haven't worked in just over 18, erm, years...

There are still loads of 406's here, I reckon they're still a great looking car. My old D9, well, I was reminded of how much agony I was in the last time I drove it, the passenger seat seemed really close to the ground. It also needs a clothes peg job on the fuel flap, it let in water last winter which probably means all the door seals need replacing, Goran reckons it needs a new clutch...

Speaking of Goran, he's pinched my Matchless! He may as well, I've not even ridden the Yam this year, between the disproving wife and my confidence taking a nose dive (trust in self, trust in the bike) I just don't seem to be getting round to it. The last time I road it it was excellent and I decided I'd do it all again the next day. This was last September :(

Welly

Post by Welly »

Doggy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:39 pm hard working conscientious people being 'let go'
Indeed, I cared too much and was conscientious to the point where I was 'always there' and everything associated with the business came past my desk. Years of stress, silent High Blood Pressure, all conspired to kill me off. Never again, all seems such a waste looking back but I mustn't dwell on it; I did what I did at the time and that's that.

Neighbours seem to be warming to me too, I must come across as 'nicer' these days rather than that guy who's always at work.

My Heart Rate, Cholesterol and Blood Pressure is all Text Book of late which is very reassuring going forward.

Wiggy - great to see the bike, I can almost hear and smell it running from here 8) I sometimes fantasise about getting a motorised bicycle, in me yoof I rode motorbikes belonging to others on "private land" regularly and hired a few on holidays - obviously that makes me an experienced biker ready for the road and that :?

I've never done a test a test though or anything like that :oops:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

You're probably more relaxed now, it's like you've been carrying a heavy load for years but now you've chucked it the relief is mind blowing.

Good attitude too, someone once said to me don't keep looking back and kicking yourself, you did your best with what seemed right at the time.

I tend to avoid stress as much as I can, I seem to get stressed out for all sorts of pathetic reasons :( I iz Aspie.

Anyway, the Matchless looks fantastic to me and I'm glad it's getting some enjoyment. I guess I should import it now but after importing the Yam, which would have worked out cheaper to scrap and buy another, I'm reluctant. I can imagine them seeing how old it is and expecting a huge handout as it's a "valuable" antique (probably about 5 grand) and how do you go about homologating a vehicle whose manufacturer went out of business more than half a century ago?

Speaking of the Yam, guess what I did today

Yep, went for a ride 8) I take it to a derelict restaurant/hotel on the road towards Zagreb, it's only 11 miles and I figure I'll be able to get help if I have problems (easier than riding up into the mountains anyway). Goran tells me this place is known as "Šervudska Šuma", which in the local vernacular means the forest of Sherwood. I didn't see anyone wearing Lincoln green :?

When I got home I went completely crazy and washed it

That's probably the first wash it's had in, ooh, 15 years? :oops:

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

And after I washed it it ran like a pig and then died - oh no, did I get water in the ignition? pulls sparkplug, it's white ohshitohshithshit Meh, it ran out of fuel :oops:

So anyway, out in the garden every year something nukes some of the plants, all chewed up, leaves ripped, stalks snapped. It used to be just the radishes but since I started growing rhubarb it's the plant that always seems to get special attention and this year it got particularly mangled, along with a tomato and a courgette. What's doing that, is it one of the cats? So I got one of them trail camera thingies, set it up and waited...

https://youtu.be/xvj7P94kATc
:shock: :shock:

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Is thar a weasel?
Thought they were carnivores :?
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

It's the same family, that's a european pine marten. They're omnivores but I think it's playing rather than eating the rhubarb (without custard? :shock: ) I often see one or two when I'm collecting cats at night, I can see their eyes in the torch beam peering at me and I don't realise they're not cats until I'm close enough to see the rest of them. I thought they were after the neighbour's chickens but I suspect they're too big for them and leave them alone, it's the small squeaky things that live around the barns they're after. They're kind of cute really.

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Ah that's what they look like.
I'd heard they were responsible in part for red squirrels making a comeback in Scotland and Northern England since they prey on the grey variety but can't catch the more agile reds. (No idea if that's true).
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh! I saw they were making a comeback in Scotland but I didn't know about the grey squirrel thing. It says here https://www.britishredsquirrel.org/grey ... ne-martin/ they coexist with red squirrels and seem to suggest it's because they've evolved together. However the greys didn't and are consequently toast. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.