The practice of Undertaking cars

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

The practice of Undertaking cars

Post by Welly »

What is it with people undertaking all the time? :frown: I had a VERY close call with some idiot in a Vectra at the weekend who thought it'd be great to go bezzing up the inside of me just as I was indicating and moving into his* lane :shock:

Nearly lost the Volvo of doom it was arse-twitchingly close as he'd managed to get in the blind spot.

I see this all the time though, it used to be MEGA frowned upon but now...... :roll:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: The practice of Undertaking cars

Post by lozz »

I dunno mate..there is loads of these clowns on the road..its just the way it is.

I seen one gibbon steering car with his knees whilst text in on his iPhone the other day.
Mental.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Driving standards seem to be getting worse.

Must confess, I sometimes resort to undertaking the bell-ends that insist on driving the length of a dual carriageway in the outside lane because they're going to turn right a week next Tuesday.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Doggy wrote:Driving standards seem to be getting worse.

Must confess, I sometimes resort to undertaking the bell-ends that insist on driving the length of a dual carriageway in the outside lane because they're going to turn right a week next Tuesday.
This happened to me today. I was seriously moving along a 3 mile stretch of completely empty dual carriageway and suddenly come across some old bloke in a Chevvy Spark doing 45 in the outside lane. I slowed down and tried to flash my lights to get him to move over but he was oblivious. Dropped a cog and undertook.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Welly wrote:What is it with people undertaking all the time? :frown: I had a VERY close call with some idiot in a Vectra at the weekend who thought it'd be great to go bezzing up the inside of me just as I was indicating and moving into his* lane :shock:

Nearly lost the Volvo of doom it was arse-twitchingly close as he'd managed to get in the blind spot.
Couple of days ago, I clicked on a link (can't remember where ) about how we set our mirrors.

It said that how we're taught to set the mirrors is wrong. i.e side mirrors so that you can just see the body of the car.
The article says that the right way is....

1. Set the interior mirror for straight back.
2. Set drivers side mirror by moving your head almost to touching the window with your cheek, and then set the mirror
so that you can see a little of the car bodywork.
3. Set passenger side mirror by moving your head to the centre of the car, and then set the side mirror so that you can see a little of the car bodywork.

The idea is that, for example, as an overtaking, or undertaking, car moves out of the vision of the rear view mirror, it simultaneoudly
moves into the peripheral vision given by the side mirror. No blind spot.

I've reset my mirrors, and that seems to work.

A downside that I found today is that when reversing , and turning, out of a space in a car park, and using side mirror to gauge how close the
rear end is to the next aisle of cars, I had to just about press face against glass to see what's happening.
Last edited by trufflehunt on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Sounds good but I would rather set mine so that I can see to reverse - we have a lot of narrow lanes here!

Peter
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

The 406 (estate) has a mahoosive blind spot on the passenger side. I recently had the pleasure* of transporting some 4ft by 7ft piece of 4mm ply. The sheets fitted fine in the car when bent round so that it arced from the passenger side door capping to the drivers side roof grab handle. The length meant it stopped about half way across the passenger window but I had full use of all the mirrors (side and rear)

Off I went on the motorway but it very quickly became obvious how much you can't see in the passenger mirror, and how much I subconsciously relied on looking out of the rear passenger window when moving in. I literately lost articulated lorries in the blind spot.

No amount of mirror adjustment helped, and in the end I moved a mirror I have for keeping an eye on the kids to the top right of the windscreen. Looking in this to see the passenger mirror provided enough 'bend' to just catch the vehicles on the inside as the entered and left the blind spot.

Still made for a very hairy 300 mile drive, that I was glad to see the end of.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

I position my mirrors so they look down the side of the car but I'm a stickler for constantly checking my blind spot.
My Missus always has blind spot mirrors fitted and although I think they're a bit unnecessary and look a little stupid they do give you another dimension that you can see, I am considering fitted them to my car but afraid I'll get used to them. :lol:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

The visibility of the 406 is brilliant compared to my C5 estate. :shock:

Peter
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Well I famously managed to miss a white, high top, LWB Mercedes Sprinter in the blind spot of the 406 which accounts for the slight dentage to the offside rear wing of John's car. :roll: :oops:

As far as the mirrors go, I position mine so that I can just see the tiniest bit of bodywork, I reckon that if I had them out any further I'd be paranoid about missing things.

There's a setting on the Volvo to "dip" the door mirrors when you engage reverse, it points them in and down so that you can see the back wheel and impress people with how close you can get to the kerb, but that does mean that you can't reverse any distance (like out of the drive) so I've got it switched off. You can also press the relevant mirror switch to get that feature to activate when reversing but I always forget :supafrisk:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I've just ordered a pair of these wing mirror monkeys, if someone enters your blind spot they go ape* sh*t and bang on the window. The 'deluxe' versions have a full vocab of swearing/insults but are almost double the cost.

Image sauce: Daily Mail
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Welly wrote:...monkey ... go ape* sh*t ... full vocab of swearing/insults
I have one of those but it goes in the driving seat :roll:

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Forgive me being a bit late to the party, but I've been trying to find this blind spot of which you speak.
Maybe it's because I'm 'vertically challenged' and sit a lot nearer the windscreen than you folks, but I can see a bit out both rear side windows with the interior mirror and that overlaps with the view out the nearside rear door mirror, (which I have set so I can just see the bodywork in the edge of the mirror).
:?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

To be fair Doggy, you only use your mirrors to see the dropped jaws of Aldi drivers.......

I have 6 mirrors on my lorry, as well as 3 cameras - I still have a blind spot just below and behind the passenger door... :roll:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Nice selection of *great* drivers over here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Idiot-UK ... 38?fref=nf
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped