DVLA might of got it right for once

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

binnzy
2.0 16v

DVLA might of got it right for once

Post by binnzy »

Hi, just got my car tax reminder, apparently I can tax it by direct debit, the direct debit automatically renews until you sell the car or declare sorn, if you sell the car or declare sorn the direct debit is cancelled so you don't have the hassle of claiming a refund, down side is they charge an extra 5% for the privilege, have I got this right.
If it doesn't fit you need a bigger hammer
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: DVLA might of got it right for once

Post by GingerMagic »

Aye - I did the same thing in October for my car.

My options were;
£205 for one 12 month payment'
£112.75 for 6 months

Direct debit options were;
£205 for one 12 month payment
£107.63 for 6 months
Or 12 payments over the year, payable on the first of the month, which adds up to £215.15.

I chose the monthly direct debit, as to pay by credit card like I used to do costs an extra £2.50, so paying by monthly DD is an extra £7.50 ish for the year, which I save in interest on my Offset Mortgage account.

Easy.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
binnzy
2.0 16v

Post by binnzy »

Thanks, my tax is £145 for 12 months, £152.25 monthly so I think it's worth £7.25 to take away the hassle of having to renew it or claim a refund
If it doesn't fit you need a bigger hammer
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I fully intend using the DD scheme as I never seem to be able to budget for paying my Road Tax in one go (always only pay for 6 months). Mine falls due at the end of January in conjunction with the MOT so it's an expensive time anyway.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Recently SORN'd my summer car online (though I did mean to do it at the end of October and forgot for two months, oth times remembering just after the start of a new month had ticked by grrr)

It was nice to get a cheque in the post a few days later without having to go though the usual faff of filling in and posting a form off with the tax disk.

Now just have to go to the bank to bank said cheque... one day they will develop the magical ability had by other businesses for years to BACS the money to me..
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

benczuk wrote: Now just have to go to the bank to bank said cheque... one day they will develop the magical ability had by other businesses for years to BACS the money to me..
You can enjoy* queuing for 37 minutes whilst the staff try to push their sales at the counter......."who do you have your mortgage with?"....."what about home insurance?"......"do you have children?" :frown:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

Mine ran out end of last month and I decided to go for monthly DD. A doddle to set up and I agree it is easier to cancel DD in the event of selling the car or SORN-ing it for any reason.
1998 2.1 GLX TD