I've been driving 'wrongly' for 25 years....

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Nightshade
1.8 16v

Re: I've been driving 'wrongly' for 25 years....

Post by Nightshade »

That's one of my pet hates; bikes drop speed so darn quickly, especially if you're flicking down the cogs. The number of times I've nearly plowed into the back of them, caught of guard with such deceleration and no brake lights..... :evil:
1.9 XUD, 97 estate
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

Interesting... I am 'new school' and I agree with the old school method, In fact I do it all the time..
To brake in 4th and 5th and then when the car runs out of puff to change gear seems wrong in my opinion, if your entrance to the round about (or what ever is clear) then you go for it, then run out of puff half way through doing your maneuver how are you supposed to be turning the wheel with both hands and then reach for the gear knob, whether that be a round about or even a good visible junction... sounds dangerous in my opinion - I am surprised this method is being taught :shock:
(To be honest, I don't remember it being taught at all...........)
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

i am 26 years old and always brake with slowly downshifting trough the gears,it seems very dumb to brake in 5th and listen to that sound of car in 5th on minimum.
As someone said before,i am also proud of going trough the gears smoothly so braking is barely noticable,ofcourse,if some sudden problem occurs in the middle
of the road,hard braking is required but in oher cases,going trough gears seems to me to be the only logical solution,bonus prolongated life of pads.

As far as i know,in autoschools here folks are still being taught to brake with gears,but who knows,maybe this new dumbass facebook,iphone,ipad,isomething textbook generation
will start learning to brake with steering wheel or something :cheesy:
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Ares wrote:...who knows,maybe this new dumbass facebook,iphone,ipad,isomething textbook generation
Cars will just have have a PlayStation controller.

I was at an MOD seminar a couple of years ago, they were offering money for technology. One of the points they made in their intro presentation was that they made a thing that had controlls like a PlayStation because that's what the kids they send out to be shot at are familiar with.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Wonderful :roll: I suppose it has the added advantage that its user also thinks it doesn't matter if they die because they'll get another life...
rwb wrote:...a thing that had controlls like a PlayStation...
:twisted: :twisted:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Menophanes
1.8 16v

Post by Menophanes »

I am entirely of Welly's opinion. In my case the technique was no doubt founded on a naturally cautious disposition, but it was strongly reinforced by many years of running unrestored (that is a euphemism) classic cars for everyday use on a minimal budget. (These included a 1937 Austin Ten whose rod-operated brakes needed adjustment at least once a week - applying them on a wet road gave the illusion that no two wheels were the same size or even shape - and a 1959 Rover 105 with one front brake-hose clamped off and the servo disconnected.) Such experiences implanted the idea, which I have never quite outgrown, that brakes need all the help they can get. After all, if your muddy shoe side-slips right off the pedal, as happened to me in a Morris Minor forty years ago, none of the modern refinements is going to make the slightest difference.

The point about the importance of brake-lights as warnings to those behind is a very valid one, and I often touch the brakes when decelerating purely in order to make the lights appear. On this issue, I feel it would be helpful if automotive designers would develop a 'brake' light which was actuated by any reduction in vehicle speed rather than solely by pressure in the hydraulic system. I am sure this could easily be done (or has it been done already?) by means of electronic sensors, though I doubt whether it could be applied retrospectively to existing cars.

Oliver Mundy.
"Don't rush ahead when you can't see ahead. Ahead is the place collisions come from." (De Dion owner's manual, 1913)
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

That made me chuckle, Oliver, perhaps because it so nearly mirrors my own experiences. (I remember applying the brakes when reversing a 1959 Triumph Herald, hearing a bang, feeling the front end drop and watching the o/s/f front wheel, c/w part of a stub axle etc roll away down the hill with Marty Feldmann-like malicious intent).

My dad prided himself in being able to complete long journeys without touching the brakes, with the predicatable consequence that if you ever needed them everything had siezed up, so you can take this thing too far.

So:
- brake how it suits you
- change down when it's natural
- and scratch where it itches, (with due regard to audience sensibilities).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

Nightshade wrote:That's one of my pet hates; bikes drop speed so darn quickly, especially if you're flicking down the cogs. The number of times I've nearly plowed into the back of them, caught of guard with such deceleration and no brake lights..... :evil:
Stop following bikes so closely, then?

I ride bikes and the only thing worse than being tailgated while you're in a car is being tailgated when you're on a bike.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

steve_earwig wrote:I'd have to go for a drive to answer this truthfully.
I thought I'd resurrect this thread to say.. It's a bit like Schroedinger's cat, trying to work out what I'm doing stops me doing it. However, I seem to downshift when I think there's a good chance that I'll be moving on, however if there's no chance of doing anything other than stopping I don't bother, just take my foot of the gas, brake and dip the clutch when the revs drop to about idle speed. I think the main reason for doing this in the yoyo is it hates downshifting, it often baulks when I shove it in second and always complains bitterly when I force it into first. Tough.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

S'funny you should bring this up as I've been putting more thought into what I do, and things I do without thinking, and have found I quite often coast out of gear when coming to (what I know will be) a stop :o

I've tried the 'don't change down' method and the car doesn't really like it, labours a bit.

I also traveled under Her Indoors' stewardship and observed that on approaching a roundabout she braked.....dipped clutch....and then selected '3'....then '2'....but without releasing the clutch inbetween :? so gears were being called up but not put into use. I DID NOT query this method you understand; preferring as I do a nice quiet life :)
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Advanced driving is taught for

Position in the road (Central lane x)
Speed (choose correct speed for obstacle first)
Gear (THEN choose a gear)
Accelerate (away from obstacle/hazard.

For example, approaching a set of traffic lights where there's a pedestrian ready to walk out on the road at 50MPH in 4th gear

Position OS lane 1 in case they do step out
Speed down to a safe speed, for example 20MPH from 50MPH
Now select gear 2
Accelerate away from this hazard using he newly selected gear.

Officially there's no brake-gear overlap, so you brake first, without changing gear. Once the correct speed has been selected, then you change gear.

For more info, there's a book called Roadcraft. It's used by the IAM if you ever sit that test, as well as other professional driving people that drive fast to things (safely!)

N

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadcraft
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
robb
2.0 Turbo

Post by robb »

I was also taught to use gears for slowing down ,now I use a mixture of both depending on the situation .Also when I,m accelerating I sometimes miss gears when changing up, first to third ,third to fifth I dont know if it is bad driving but I suppose it saves on clutch wear . :supafrisk:
1997 406 2.0 petrol estate lx..D8.............OH dear where does this nut go?
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I've been analy analysing my gear change habits since we started this thread and have now reached two inescapable conclusions:

1. I haven't messed up so many gear changes since I drove a column change 1957 Hillman Minx, (or maybe even a 4-speed Sturmey Archer equipped bicycle).

2. I'm not doing it any more - my way is the right way, anything else isn't.
Captain Jack wrote:No more comments :evil:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Doggy wrote:4-speed Sturmey Archer equipped bicycle
You had a posh bike! My Grifter had a Sturmey Archer 3 speed, but it also had a perpetually broken gear cable (or I used to smash the hub nut on rocks / curbs / floor and break the little chain :oops: ) so I always ended up stuck in 3rd. Thighs like tree trunks! :cheesy:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Didn't the Grifter have a pedal<back brake thingy in the hub?

My Chopper had a toggle chain gear thing (was always using my Pocket Moneh to buy new chains :( ).

Graduated from thereon to a Huffy BMX with flexible MAG Wheels :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work