Energy Saving Bulbs

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Energy Saving Bulbs

Post by FarmerPug »

Does anyone think these are better than ordinary bulbs
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: Energy Saving Bulbs

Post by highlander »

I've changed one energy saving bulb in 6 years of living in this flat; they last ages and don't use as much energy.

Unfortunately they're a bit dimmer than normal filament bulbs and take longer to warm up.

Apparently LED bulbs are brighter, light up instantly, and use even less energy than normal energy-saving bulbs - but they cost more. They're also nowhere near as common at the moment. Give it a year or so and they'll be almost as common.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I don't mind energy savers but SWMBO insisted on having dimmers in most rooms so I can't use energy savers in those rooms. I know you can get dimmable ones but have you seen the price of them?? :shock: I've mostly got energy savers in table lamps and standard lamps which we use most of the time, hardly ever have the ceiling lights on anyway! :D. As I type the living room is adequately lit by 1 11W lamp.

Actually I've got one of those energy monitor thingies and right now it's showing 610W. Considering there's 3 TVs on, 2 laptops (both plugged in), 1 PC, a variety of lights and loads of other stuff like fridge, freezer, the central heating (electric pump), sky boxes, DVD players, fish tank light / filter / heater and all the stuff that's on standby, I reckon that's pretty good! :oops:

I bought some of them LED bulbs for the kitchen to replace 6 of the 12 50W GU10s that are in there but they were shyte. Paid about £5 each from China on Ebay, they were supposed to be equivalent brightness but they were dim, too directional, crap colour tone and to rub salt in the first one blew in under a week. Fair play to the seller he sent me another one, but then another one blew and another so I had a strop and he gave me a full refund. Dunno whether it was 'cos they were cheapies but I'm staying away from them for now...
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

i have energy saver bulbs throu out my house, i find them great, i bought the high watt ones which i think are very bright
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Here's one we did earlier viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8192&p=79053&hilit=mercury#p79053

I see mercury filled thermometers are being banned now, how stupid is that?

They're a mistake our descendants will be cursing us for as the mercury leeches out of landfills for the next millennium.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Im doing a big stock up of the old ones, hopefully ebay will always be selling them.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

steve_earwig wrote:Here's one we did earlier viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8192&p=79053&hilit=mercury#p79053
Thought there was an air of familiarity to this.... :lol:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

yo dia, were did u get that energy monitor from mate ?
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Maplins mate, but there are lots of deals with energy suppliers where they'll give you one cheap or free... Who's your energy supplier?
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

I bought one on ebay for £20 inc postage
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
TooT
3.0 24v

Post by TooT »

I got mine free from NPower. I love going round switching stuff on and then off to see how much they costs :oops:
2006 207 GT THP 150
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

The normal ones are really harsh and bright: great in the bathroom and kitchen, but not what you want in the living room or bedroom :supafrisk:

You can get "soft" coloured ones which are ok -- I have one in my lamp in the office.

Got a load of cheap ones from Tesco. They're noisy (buzzing) for the first 10 minutes or so, and the lifetime seems very variable: changed at roughly the same time, the living room is on its third but the kitchen and bathroom are both on their first.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote:I see mercury filled thermometers are being banned now, how stupid is that?

They're a mistake our descendants will be cursing us for as the mercury leeches out of landfills for the next millennium.
Might go some way to offsetting the mercury from all these low energy lamps. :roll:

DaiRees wrote:Actually I've got one of those energy monitor thingies and right now it's showing 610W. Considering there's 3 TVs on, 2 laptops (both plugged in), 1 PC, a variety of lights and loads of other stuff like fridge, freezer, the central heating (electric pump), sky boxes, DVD players, fish tank light / filter / heater and all the stuff that's on standby, I reckon that's pretty good! :oops:
Bet you don't know how much of that the energy monitor's using :twisted:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I would laugh if the monitor actually used more than all that put together unlikely but it would be funny.
As for energy monitors the speed the meter disk turns is a good indicator of how much your using (if equipped in your house) i know in my house it turns at a very slow and unnoticeable pace, wheras out at the farm where there is 12 mushroom houses with each with a seperate computer control unit, lights, a/c, fans etc and 3 farm sheds one with a big fridge for holding full pallets of mushrooms. The disk for the farms gague fairly spins i reckon if you used it to drvie a motor you could get back quite a lot of electricty, spins at least 2 revolutions per second.