Double din at top of centre console

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

ger
1.6 8v

Double din at top of centre console

Post by ger »

Thought you'd like to see what I've been up to recently and that it's actually a possibility if you really want to. The inspiration came from not owning a sat nav-unit and Halfords having a sale sometime during the Summer holidays on them. I didn't like what they had in the end, so I started looking at other avenues:

The colour difference between the display, heater control unit and the blanking plates is hardly noticable in normal light, I was quite surprised how well a match I actually had! Camera flash/artificial light brings out these differences. It looks much better in real life!

I've also forgotten to remove the screen's protective covering , the colours will be more vibrant once that's off.

It's a Chinese touchsreen double din unit that does everything bar a cup of coffe!
Radio/CD/DVD/MP3/MP4/USB/Sat Nav/TV/iPod/Rear View Camera/Video out. I can't really remember everything but you get the idea.

It was a big job to fit.

First, I had to know I could get it into the correct position, which meant removing the dash and heater unit from another (standard) 406 at the local breaker's yard (got it out in an hour, not bad going I thought :D )
I could then decipher how the heater unit works so that I could modify the one in my car.
Then came the point of no return, when I started to cut into mine, big gulp time :lol:

Had to remove the glovebox which was a pain as there are screws that are only really accessible with the whole dash out. I got all but two back as it was meant to be, I fitted a bolt rather than a screw where there's a metal bracket behind the glovebox and I had to drill a small inconspicious hole for the lower central most screw that goes into the centre console (some actually have two screws at this position!).

Routing some wires to the rear was fun. I had the reversing camera video feed, reversing camera control line to head unit and another couple of wires for something else ( :wink: ) that needed to go from front to back. I had to have the car ready for use, with the rear seats back in, to be able to pick up my two daughters in the morning, I was up half of that night! I had to remove all of the lower side trim, the rear seat cushion, parcel shelf, rear window trim and then the rear side panel card as I couldn't get one 'clip' on the rear window trim back into position, this was really annoying.

Fixing the cage into position wasn't straightforward either, I had to custom make some brakets and weld them to the universal cage I had. 1mm thin steel is horrible to weld!

Getting the centre console controls to fit wasn't that bad, a belt sander working hard reduced their widths and some gentle modification to the centre console itself was all that was required. It still took ages though and I still want to improve the fit and finish in that respect, I might make my own blanking plates to go next to the display unit.

I also had a chance to re-do and work on some other little things in the areas where I was working, which added to the time taken. Adding the cold air feed to the glovebox is an example of one of the extra things I did, now I can keep my chocolate nice and cool :lol:

It was virtually all done in the evenings so it's taken a good few weeks, I have no idea how many hours but it must add up to a lot!

In the end I'm very happy with the unit. It all works (well, all I can try so far anyway, I don't have an iPod!) and I'm very impressed with the sat nav, which was the main reason behind it. The phone functions aren't up to 'Parrot' standards but sufficient for me. At least everything is together in one place now.

If anyone's interested in getting a similar double din unit, I might be able to help out with a good price, I have a contact or two now :wink:

What do you think?
Last edited by ger on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Re: Double din at top of centre console

Post by HimBigChief »

Nicely nicely! In car PC then?

I was after a 7" touchscreen to mount into the little cubby hole at the bottom of the dash and then put a SFF PC probably where the CD chanegr lives.

You've done a good job there though and it looks quite good and factory fit (bar the colour match which you've addressed). Only thing is could you not have got the unit to sit a little more flush with the dash?
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
Leopold
2.0 16v

Post by Leopold »

That looks good that if l must say so, i never thought that you could fit a double-din unit into a 406 8) Keep up the good work mate..
'99 Peugeot 406 1.8 16v LS in Jade Green
ger
1.6 8v

Post by ger »

HimBigChief wrote:Nicely nicely! In car PC then?

I was after a 7" touchscreen to mount into the little cubby hole at the bottom of the dash and then put a SFF PC probably where the CD chanegr lives.

You've done a good job there though and it looks quite good and factory fit (bar the colour match which you've addressed). Only thing is could you not have got the unit to sit a little more flush with the dash?

Not really an in car pc, but based on win CE 5 I believe. A touchscreen with a seperate pc elswhere would be much easier, no need to tackle the heater unit!

It won't go any higher, the dash comes out at quite a steep angle at the top. Also, the unit's screen slides in and out to allow access for the cd/dvd and sd card slots, so it needed a tiny bit of room to manouvere.
pclarejnr
1.8 16v

Post by pclarejnr »

I think i'll give this a try!!, nice to see your local to me just incase I Duck up!! haha :shock:

Pete
If you cant find the bright side to life -- Polish the dull side :D
KorzH

Post by KorzH »

Here is the stuff one of our guys have done to his pug! 8)
http://forum.aves-peugeot.ru/viewtopic. ... 43&start=0
SOBER!
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Excellent stuff korzh,
sadly icouid only read the pictures ,,
that install looks cool,

what Make is that audio unit is it touch screen, ?
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Thats the best aftermarket radio instalation ive ever seen in a 406, even better that you have got one with so many functions, a reverse camera would be handy.
pclarejnr
1.8 16v

Post by pclarejnr »

Save opening a new thread

I have just made an offer on a 308 eto sat nav (All singing all dancing) double din with all cables, Does anyone know if with a lot of (hammering and bashing :shock: ) the radio stalk would still operate it, and radio dimmer etc and does the gps receiver go inside or outside the car? :wink:

Any ideas thoughts would be gratefully appreciated Please don't hold back.. :oops:

Kind regards

Pete :cheesy:
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

it will probably be a huge job but i would say its probably doable if your good with electrics .
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
pclarejnr
1.8 16v

Post by pclarejnr »

Good with electrics hmmmm :oops: Nope i can wire a little.

But if theres a chance its dooable then i'm having a bit of that pie! :shock:

Will let you know how I get on :wink:

Regards

Pete
pclarejnr
1.8 16v

Post by pclarejnr »

Would anyone know how I could be sure i don't or do have a jbl amp in my car - whilst doing a little research i found that i could blow it and get doubled amp if i put a standard stereo --- then there's the question of weather or not the 308 nav i have bought has a none amped out or standard
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220915346178? ... 810wt_1185

I havent even attempted to start yet and already i need to order some headache tablets :shock:

Pete