swapping sat nav units + cleaning them

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

406silverhdi
2.0 16v

swapping sat nav units + cleaning them

Post by 406silverhdi »

hi all

is it possible to swap my saytnav unit in the boot for another one to test? or do i need to get something coded at a dealer?

also is there any cleaning guides for these units about?
DaiRees
Site Admin

Re: swapping sat nav units + cleaning them

Post by DaiRees »

Dunno about swapping them but I would have thought it might be coded to the car in the same way as the radios are in D9s.

I found cleaning the lens a bit of a pig, because when you get the unit out and get the top cover off, there's a second cover over the important bits which has springs and stuff attached to it from the inside. I had visions of bits of sat nav all over my kitchen :shock: , some guys have done it but it scared the poo out of me!. See this thread for the rest of the story.... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5701&hilit=sat+nav&start=15#p56259
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
406silverhdi
2.0 16v

Post by 406silverhdi »

cheers dairees

I dont really want to get into the whole ebay thing if it means taking it to a stealer too
DeDragonSlayer
1.6 8v

Post by DeDragonSlayer »

There's no problem with swapping the nav unit. It isn't coded or anything.
I retrofitted the whole sat nav thing with parts off ebay and it's working just fine.
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

I've had to clean the lens on mine twice in 2 years. It's not that difficult, after you get the top off, you don't have to go much further, I did mine with no more than a phillips screwdriver and a couple of cotton buds. 20 minute job (and that's getting the bugger out of a coupe boot)
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
andyturner

Post by andyturner »

Hi DeDragonSlayer, What do you mean by retrofitted? Did you install a Peugeot Sat Nav in a car that didn't have Sat Nav installed from the factory? If yes, then wasn't it difficult? Expensive? Could you elaborate a little on how you did this?
Thanks a lot.
Andy
DeDragonSlayer
1.6 8v

Post by DeDragonSlayer »

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. :)
The only prerequisite is that it's a D9 car.
Is it expensive? Depends on how much you get all the parts for. Most likely that's the only expense, unless something needs to be coded in the multifunction display (happens).
It's definitely not difficult, assuming you have all the parts, you could install it in an hour.
The hardest part by all means is completing all the parts. However you can do it in two stages: first the new display and the remote, then the rest.
If you really want to , I could write up a short step-by-step guide on how to install factory satellite navigation in a 406, with a list of all needed parts.
andyturner

Post by andyturner »

Wow. I am new in this forum and all suprised by the knowlegde some of you have, and how far you can go with this nice car. Just bought a 2000 TS6, and I am really reallt happy with it. Yes I would like to go ahead with the navigation and also considered the JBL option pack, if that is possible as well.

How about maps. Do you know if they are still on the market, or is it something I need to eBay as well? This is of cause quite important.

If it's not to much trouble I would like to see what it takes to make it work.

Best, Andy
Denmark
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

You can still get the maps, see here.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
andyturner

Post by andyturner »

Thanks DaiRees :)
DeDragonSlayer
1.6 8v

Post by DeDragonSlayer »

Very well then,
to add the Siemens navigation to your car, you'll need most of the parts that are on the following picture:

1. A multifunction display type C (as opposed to the most common type B)
2. A remote, without which the display is mostly useless
---- the two things above are the stage 1 upgrade
3 and 8. The GPS antenna and cable extension
4. The navigation calculator / map reader
6 and 7 The reader mounting brackets
10. Audio separating transformer
not pictured:
- different boot lining with an additional "bulge" and a hole for the reader
- a lights stalk with a functional button at the end, if not equipped with one

Obviously not all are needed for the navigation to function, some things you can manage to make yourself, some are unnecessary. 1, 2, 3, and 4 are enough for navi to function, and 10 is needed to make it talk.

Now briefly about the parts:

1. The multi-function display. You can tell the type C MFD from the others by the lack of buttons. It's a plug and play affair, with two torx screws holding the display. What you need to keep in mind, is that some information is coded in all MFD's in 406. Of interest are two things: cd changer and type of stalks. If you have a changer and the display is from a vehicle that didn't have one, it will not work. Same with the stalks - you'll lose the ability to operate the display and the radio. What you need to do in such case is to get hold of someone with a service computer such as Peugeot Planet, and properly code the display. Here's a comparison of type B (above) and type C displays.
As you can see, the new display will be more readable, more stuff will fit on the screen at once, and you get two trip computers instead of one. These displays are however very delicate and often suffer from blacking out once they get hot, or losing lines.

2. The remote. You absolutely need one to operate the display. Otherwise you''ll be stuck with blinking hour, and if the display was originally in some pagan language, it will stay that way. :) If you can't get find such a remote, you might have some luck with a learning universal remote and copy the codes from someone else, or else if you have a palmtop with a noviiRemote app, you could do the same. This is what the remote looks like:
Now these two things (display and remote) is all you'll need to upgrade the display. The navigation unit is not needed for its proper functioning, the only thing that will happen is the navigation options will be grayed out. I think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

3. The GPS antenna. Well, this is a standard GPS aerial with a HRS GT5 plug. You can get one cheaply from any other navigation, you just need to make sure that the plug is right and the cable is long enough. The antenna will be placed inside the car, under the parcel lining of the rear window. It plugs directly into the navigation reader / computer.

4, 6 and 7. The navigation calculator and map reader, and its mounting brackets. Ok, the wiring harness should be already in place. In a saloon, look behind the boot lining on the right hand side. You'll find a blue connector there, and that's what the unit plugs into. I didn't have the proper mounting brackets, but since I had the factory JBL amp I just used some double-sided tape and stuck the navigation unit on top of that. On the next pic you see an empty place where the unit goes. Keep in mind that the brackets are different between saloon, break, and coupe.

10. Audio separating transformer. This is needed to let the navigation talk, and at the same time avoid a ground loop with the radio. This part is hard to get, but it's simply an audio transformer with a 1:1 ratio. You can sometimes get one in a good electronics store and make it fit into the yellow plug seen on the previous picture.

Boot lining - the best way would be to get it from a car that originally had navigation. It's possible to cut out a hole in standard lining, but it's quite hard and you need to measure everything ten times, so you wouldn't end up with a hole somewhere where it shouldn't be. Well, it can be done, this is what it looks like now in my boot:

The lights stalk. It should have a button at the end, which when pressed would repeat the last navigation direction. I never managed to get one, mostly because I don't need one. You see, there are no maps covering Poland, and all I get is the following. :D

Ok, I hope everything is clear now. :)

-------------------------------------------

And now a BONUS for all people with factory navigation - the SECRET supplier debug menu. :cheesy:

You need to pick up your remote, and:
- press menu
- hold esc until it leaves menu
- press left twice
- hold esc again

Reset display is the most boring feature. :) Versions show the current hardware and software versions of the display and the reader. Some will be permanently upgraded with a new navigation CD, some are only temporary.

And the most interesting menu is of course Navigation Diagnostic. You can use it to find out why the navigation is not performing as well as it should.
It's divided into 3 sections, representing the three sources the navigation computer bases its position calculations on: the GPS, the wheel speed signal, and a built-in gyroscopic device.

In GPS section you have the signal strength and the number of satellites picked up by the device.

In the Odo section you see the gain (an adaptive value the unit multiplies the speed signal internally by - it can change after you change wheels for example), M. AR. tells you if you have your car in reverse, and Signal tells you if it's moving at all.

And in the Gyro section you again have the gain, and a cumulative sum of all the right and left turns. :)

Have fun :cheesy:
andyturner

Post by andyturner »

Hi DeDragonSlayer,

Thank you very much for this very detailed walk thru of the installation. I will Check if the wires are readily installed in the trunk.

What is the yellow connecter in the trunk for? Is that for the Amp?
How did you install the antenna? Was it glued in the sealing :)

I tried to search for the parts on eBay, but could only find the Map reader/calcbox and a remote. The rest of the stuff, and as you said transformer and antenna, is not going to be easy to get hands on. I guess it's because these parts are not so easy to take apart. How did you manage to get all the parts? Should I a try and make a query for the parts at a breakeryard?

Best, Andy
DeDragonSlayer
1.6 8v

Post by DeDragonSlayer »

Hi Andy,
the yellow connector is for the audio transformer. I'm sure you have both connectors, they might be hidden deeper or wrapped with tape, but they should be there.

The antenna had a magnetic base, so I just stuck it to the metal shelf under the rear window.

It took me like half a year to complete acquiring all the parts. I waited for them to appear at an acceptable price. A visit to a breaker-yard might be more fruitful, I guess. The first thing I would concentrate on is the display and the remote; without them nothing would work anyway.
andyturner

Post by andyturner »

Hi DeDragonSlayer,
Ok but is the yellow cable not for the amp? I don't have the JBL option in my car.
Could there be a difference between a left and right hand car in the stalker functional design? It could be that it is positioned in the opposite side of the steering weel :roll: .

I have made a request for the display and other parts, including the whole set at breakeryard.com.

I will try and find a thread on the JBL option and ask if it can be retrofitted as well. ( I know you are the expert here and hope you can help with some answers on that as well.)

Well, I have many questions also regarding handsfree mobile, but I will try and look around in the forum to see if there are some good answers before posting new questions.

Best, Andy
DeDragonSlayer
1.6 8v

Post by DeDragonSlayer »

The JBL amp as far as I recall has two connectors, a black connector for powering and signals from the headunit, and a white connector for speakers out. I don't think you will find these connectors anywhere in your car, if you don't have the JBL system. However, I would strongly recommend against installing it, you can get much better sound with aftermarket car audio.