Sat Nav Disc

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

raptordude

Sat Nav Disc

Post by raptordude »

Hi everyone, this is my first post here as I have just purchased a 406 2.0hpi exec! Great car so far but...the map disc for my sat nav is so badly scratched that the unit wont read it, the previous owner didnt use it and I found the disc in the glove box without its cover! I have looked at buying a new disc but at £85 I just cant afford it and the one I spotted on ebay went for stupid money too. My question is this, where can I get a reasonably priced disc from? Does anyone on this forum have one to sell? (dont care if its a backup).
Many thanks,
Andy
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Sat Nav Disc

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there, welcome aboard :cheesy: I'm afraid I know just about sod all about Sat Nav as I come from a part of the world where it's more a fashion accessory rather than anything useful. Here's a thought.

Another HPi! Dai will be pleased. How's it running? I hope the previous owner looked after it a bit better than the sat nav cd :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I bet even the Sat Nav doesn't know where it's going in Coatia :lol:

I'd try polishing the disc, you've nothing to loose :| what about something like Maguires Scratch-X (I've got some and it's very mild on plastics) if you bought some you could buff up your front and rear lights too like I did - and the chrome trim 8)
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

OOh a HPi!! That's 3 of us now, we're taking over :P

I can lend you a disc just for you to make sure that your sat nav's working if you like fella. PM me your address. What you do with it when it's in your posession is entirely up to you :wink:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Some of those cleaning machines are meant to be pretty good, although it would depend on just how f#cked up the disk is.

I take it no-one's cracked the copyright protection on these things. What about telling the manufacturers that you have the disk but it's got damaged, could they help you out with a replacement? (Don't ask = don't get :? )

raptordude

Post by raptordude »

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. I have p.m'd dai re: the disc...........About the car, I think I've done well, apart from a couple of minor scratches and a small dent in the bonnet its in really good shape, 53000 miles, f.s.h, the interior is like new and it drives beautifully, oh and it cost £3200, I think I got a lot of car for my money. Lets hope it serves me well... :lol:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

No worries. Umm, what year is the car and how's it running?

steveleyland
1.8 16v

Post by steveleyland »

Hi Guys,

sorry to butt in but guess what ..... yes i bought a 53 plate 406 today and sat nav doing same - disc unreadable.

I have taken unit out and was going to see about cleaning inside with a cotton bud, but now after finding this and several other websites it looks like a common problem and i'm not sure whether it is the disc or the unit.

The disc looks ok to me is 2002 siemens.

Other website i looked at went on about flashing firmware etc but i dont even know what version of sat nav i have never mind what software it operates.

If anyone can oblige me with a backup copy of a disc that is known to work i would appreciate it, although there may be a queue (hehehe) will send some postage to cover and return disc

cheers

Steve :)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Morning Steve, there's a few on here have had problems like that, and it's usually that the lens of the unit is dirty. If the disc looks OK it's extremely unlikely to be that at fault. Those cleaner discs don't work, you have to get the unit out and get the cover off to give it a clean, I've never done it myself but several have so hopefully someone will be along soon with more info.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

DaiRees wrote:OOh a HPi!! That's 3 of us now, we're taking over :P

I can lend you a disc just for you to make sure that your sat nav's working
Got to be careful with accepting lends off Dai, you may end up lending him your coil pack!!
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
steveleyland
1.8 16v

Post by steveleyland »

Hi DaiRees,

tried cleaning disc but is pretty fecked, have taken unit out and cleaned it with cotton bud with some cd cleaner spray on it was bit grubby but disc still unreadable. Would like to try a known good disc / copy to see if it is unit.

Steve
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Oh you BAS...... :shock: :evil: :shock: I've just had a sat nav panic of my own. I've decided that trusting my original disc to royal mail is foolhardy and just ain't about to happen. So I thought to help out my fellow 406 sufferers, sorry, admirers I'd make a backup copy and send that, for testing and evaluation purposes only you understand :) . Anyhow, having made a backup I skipped joyfully out to the car to test it and.... "disc unreadable", bollox! :frown: . Stick the original disc back in and.... "disc unreadable" OH sh*t! :cry: :cry: . So I too have had the unit out on the kitchen table this afternoon.

Unit comes out easily enough and the top comes off easily enough, but once you're in there all the clever stuff is hidden within another box, which looks far too frightening for your (decidedly) average DIYist to attack. So I undid the back 2 screws and prised the top up just enough to get a cotton bud dampened with surgical spirit in to the lens. Anyway, I figured if I tried anything more I was gonna end up with a pile of useless parts, so I stuck it back together and took it back to the car. All back in place, original disc first, 30 seconds took about 4 hours and.... it worked, Phew! Then fresh from the success of that I tried the backup again and that too worked :?

Problem is boys the only disc I'd really trust is my original genuine one, which is worth lots of money and isn't about to be sent anywhere by post, you're more than welcome to try it if you're ever passing my house :oops: . The one proven backup will be on it's way to Raptordude on the morrow (since he asked first), once you've finished with dude, please send it on to Steveleyland. 8)

No-one else ask me for a copy, I'm never touching it again! :oops:
steveleyland
1.8 16v

Post by steveleyland »

very much appreciated DaiRees, I was going to say if anyone in NW has a good one I could try meet up and try the disc as naturally it is not best having your disc flitting about :lol: I do have tom tom so at least have sat nav.

cheers

Steve
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Mine also needed a clean this week. I last did it about 2 years ago, but in the last few months,it's been gradually getting worse, until it wouldn't read at all. Now back up to spec.

Dai, you should have given me a shout, I'm old hat at dismantling sat navs now (and also know the art which is removing the unit from a coupe!!)

Anyway, I can live with cleaning it every 2 years, and I got it all done in about 20 minutes.
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
raptordude

Post by raptordude »

Hi steve, sorry for the slow reply, the car is a 2002 on a 52 plate, and is running lovely, although is it supposed to sound like a diesel on idle? lol