cd player questions

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

thumper
1.6 8v

cd player questions

Post by thumper »

I am a new member and i dare say you have read these questions a hundred times before but please be kind to me! I have just bought a 51 reg hdi estate . The cd player wont read a cd. I have read elsewhere that it sometimes fixes the fault if you clean the lens. Is this easy to access? Secondly, if i remove the unit and unplug it will i need a code when i refit it? (i havent got one). And finally the dealer has quoted 250 quid for a new one. Does this sound right? Many thanks for your help.
Eat, Sleep. Play Ice Hockey
puggy
Resident Pervert

Re: cd player questions

Post by puggy »

hi there and welcome...

i have a similar problem with my cd ,works on and off,have seen the threads about
cleaning the lense am going to try that.Dont know how difficult it is to access the lens
no doubt one of the of the other guys will be able to say.As regards codes you dont need
one its already coded to your car and you can remove and replace it and it will still work. :)
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
thumper
1.6 8v

Post by thumper »

Having removed the cd player and cleaned the lens (all to no avail-it still doesnt work) when i plugged it all back in, a message came up on the display "economy mode". Now i cant use the radio without the ignition switched on and it keeps losing the presets. Anyone any idea how i switch out of economy mode?
Eat, Sleep. Play Ice Hockey
V6Exec
3.0 24v

Post by V6Exec »

Economy mode seems to be voltage based. Try charging the battery, or going on a long drive.
Remember - it only takes a few inches of water to drown a 406 don't make the same mistake I made! The V6 Exec is no more.

406 Coupe S HDi

PP2000 clone interface
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Easy way is to get a DIN extractor tool from Halfrauds. Cheap way is to get a couple of small screwdrivers wedged in there HARD and use them to drag it out
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
muffindell
2.2 16v

Post by muffindell »

A CD lens is no different to the windscreen of the car. If left long enough, it gathers an oily film on it, that's what happens on the CD lens, but slower since its a bit more protected. CD cleaners ARE RUBBISH, they do not work on grubby a lens! You will need to remove the unit from the car, take it indoors and place it on a table. Undo any screws holding the cover on and pop the lid off. Depending on model you may need to CAREFULLY disassemble a fair bit more before you have access to the lens. Clean the lens by hand, with a small amount of photographic lens cleaner on a lens paper, CAREFULLY wipe clean the lens twice (once to get rid of the crap and one to get rid of any smears) using fresh lens paper each time. Put everything back into the car and it should work. The head unit is security coded to the ecu of YOUR car, so there will be no problems on that level. The same cleaning procedure applies if you have a CD auto changer, it's also plug and play to you head unit, it is not ecu security coded. Economy mode is voltage sensitive, if your battery drops below a certain predetermined level then it will be active. If it is always on when then engine is not running, then more than likely the battery is about to give up - change it for the best you can afford (this type always have a 3-5 year warranty). If after all this the presets are losing configuration then check the relevant fuse.